JapanForum.com  


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Niyusu's Avatar
Niyusu (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 111
Join Date: Sep 2006
One of every 30 Japanese babies has foreign parent - 08-04-2008, 10:18 AM

One of every 30 babies born in Japan in 2006 had at least one parent originating from overseas, according to a recent government survey.

Around 19,000 of the babies had non-Japanese fathers, 26,000 had non-Japanese mothers and 9,000 had parents who were both from abroad, according to the survey.

North and South Korean nationals formed the largest group among non-Japanese fathers, followed by Chinese and Brazilians. Among the non-Japanese mothers, Chinese were the largest group, followed by women from the Philippines and North and South Korea.

More children born with a foreign parent | Japan Times
Reply With Quote
(#2 (permalink))
Old
emiluvsjmusic's Avatar
emiluvsjmusic (Offline)
JF noob
 
Posts: 615
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: tassie
08-04-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
That is less than 1 kid in every class room. I seen similar things in Australia. It is not a lot, really.
actually it is...
Australia is one of the most multicultural countries
and Japan is one of the least



Death Note fam & Shingami clan
JF family|Emi's Space|Haruhiism
Reply With Quote
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 546
Join Date: May 2008
08-04-2008, 01:15 PM

Are many of these foreigners nikkeijin or sankeijin? There are many Japanese descendants in Brazil, and Japan welcomes people back to the country after they've left or if they're children of japanese folk. these things together make me wonder if many of the foreign parents with new babies are children of Japanese ancestry.
Reply With Quote
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin's Avatar
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 4,154
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: あま市
Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-04-2008, 11:35 PM

I too have to wonder the same thing. As long as one side doesn`t have Japanese citizenship, the child is listed as having a foreign parent. This will include the Chinese and Korean populations of Japan - most of which were born in Japan, have never been outside of Japan, and only speak Japanese. Then again, with how few babies are being born, it`s certainly not completely unthinkable.
Although I have a feeling that most of the babies were born to Asian + Japanese couples, and will look entirely Japanese. Those who aren`t, I`m guessing have a pretty high chance of moving out of Japan... As it seems like that`s the popular thing to do if the foreign side is from anywhere other than Asia. Even more so, obviously, if both parents are from outside Japan.


Make the move!
The new Japan Forum Community -
Reply With Quote
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 546
Join Date: May 2008
08-05-2008, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I too have to wonder the same thing. As long as one side doesn`t have Japanese citizenship, the child is listed as having a foreign parent. This will include the Chinese and Korean populations of Japan - most of which were born in Japan, have never been outside of Japan, and only speak Japanese. Then again, with how few babies are being born, it`s certainly not completely unthinkable.
Although I have a feeling that most of the babies were born to Asian + Japanese couples, and will look entirely Japanese. Those who aren`t, I`m guessing have a pretty high chance of moving out of Japan... As it seems like that`s the popular thing to do if the foreign side is from anywhere other than Asia. Even more so, obviously, if both parents are from outside Japan.
Yeah, I also wonder how many of these people are foreigners who've been stationed in Japan by thier companies. How about servicemen? Are thier children born in Japanese or military hospitals.

i'm not sure why this is a big deal, though. Japan doesn't have a law comparable to the U.S. where those children are automatically citizens. Maybe it's just an example of declining birth rates among Japanese?
Reply With Quote
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Payne222's Avatar
Payne222 (Offline)
un américain
 
Posts: 396
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicagoland
08-05-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiluvsjmusic View Post
actually it is...
Australia is one of the most multicultural countries
and Japan is one of the least
Australia?
I'd say we are here in the US...
Freakin' I go right I'm in Little Korea, left Warsaw,
forward Little Italy...I could go on.
XDD
Reply With Quote
(#7 (permalink))
Old
rina26's Avatar
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 161
Join Date: Jul 2008
08-05-2008, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne222 View Post
Australia?
I'd say we are here in the US...
Freakin' I go right I'm in Little Korea, left Warsaw,
forward Little Italy...I could go on.
XDD
One of the most doesn't mean the most. US is one of the most also, doesn't mean emiluvsjmusic is incorrect.
Reply With Quote
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Payne222's Avatar
Payne222 (Offline)
un américain
 
Posts: 396
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicagoland
08-05-2008, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rina26 View Post
One of the most doesn't mean the most. US is one of the most also, doesn't mean emiluvsjmusic is incorrect.
Yeah, but I would think, like, us...
and then all the EU countries.
'Cause they're all so close.

Arn't people from Australia ancestors
of British prisoners?
Reply With Quote
(#9 (permalink))
Old
kireikoori's Avatar
kireikoori (Offline)
Haplogroup N(Y-DNA)
 
Posts: 218
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Celestial Ocean
08-05-2008, 09:25 AM

This is...quite a surprising statistic.
I never would have imagined it was so high.



Q: Who cares what other people think?!?!
A: Japanese people do.
Reply With Quote
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin's Avatar
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 4,154
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: あま市
Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-08-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Right... I think you generalize too much. Out of 37 countries there is only 1 that looks Japanese; Korea (2 if you count it as north and south) and one that has a population that looks quite similar; China.
Which two countries do you think have the largest numbers of immigrants in Japan? Surprise surprise. It`s those two countries.

Even if one parent is from another East Asian country (I should have used that term rather than general "Asia") - I would love to see you try to identify any of them. Japan is not homogeneous in appearance. There is a wide variety, and half Thai, Cambodian, Filipino, etc fit right in if they`ve been raised in Japan.


Make the move!
The new Japan Forum Community -
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Copyright 2003-2006 Virtual Japan.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6