Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-19-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunkenShip View Post
Nyoririn, I think I like you!
Thank you.

Quote:
Now there's a mandatory policy that you can't let your babies sleep on their stomaches because of SIDS. However, my mother told me that when I was born they suggested babies sleep on their tummies. Well, when my son was born last year, he came out like me: He loved sleeping on his stomach!

He woke up in fits if you put him to sleep on his back. You think I'm going to fight what is natural for my son because of silly rule that the AAP came up with "just in case"? Hell no.
I`m not so quick to discount the sleeping on the backs thing. It is the one major factor that has been shown in pretty much every study to reduce the rate of SIDS.

Supposedly, it`s quite a lot easier for a baby to breathe when positioned on their stomach - When my son was in the hospital, they usually tried to put the babies on their stomachs if they were having trouble breathing. It`s also supposedly better for development (more incentive to raise head earlier, movement has more effect).
But on the other hand, it`s also easier for carbon dioxide to build up around the baby`s face. That can trigger and lengthen apnea.

It`s easier to say put the baby on it`s back than explain how to keep proper air flow, expect everyone to suddenly replace soft beds coverings, etc. These days most sleeping surfaces designed for babies are firm and don`t allow much build up, so I doubt it is nearly as important as it was in the past.
But it stays around as a policy because it is easy to do and there are no big disadvantages. Babies who sleep on their backs may be a bit later to hold their heads up, but it isn`t a delay that sticks around.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#62 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-19-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Thank you.

I`m not so quick to discount the sleeping on the backs thing. It is the one major factor that has been shown in pretty much every study to reduce the rate of SIDS.

Supposedly, it`s quite a lot easier for a baby to breathe when positioned on their stomach - When my son was in the hospital, they usually tried to put the babies on their stomachs if they were having trouble breathing. It`s also supposedly better for development (more incentive to raise head earlier, movement has more effect).
But on the other hand, it`s also easier for carbon dioxide to build up around the baby`s face. That can trigger and lengthen apnea.

It`s easier to say put the baby on it`s back than explain how to keep proper air flow, expect everyone to suddenly replace soft beds coverings, etc. These days most sleeping surfaces designed for babies are firm and don`t allow much build up, so I doubt it is nearly as important as it was in the past.
But it stays around as a policy because it is easy to do and there are no big disadvantages. Babies who sleep on their backs may be a bit later to hold their heads up, but it isn`t a delay that sticks around.
That's why they say baby needs some "tummy time." So they can get that exercise while being monitored during the day.
(#63 (permalink))
Old
ACN (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to ACN
08-19-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunkenShip View Post
Are you a parent?

Do you have boys?

Trust me, this is a testy issue in the States with some people.

When I changed my son in front of a friend of my spouse's, she gasped and asked me when I would be getting him cut. When I replied: NEVER, she was disgusted and proceeded to tell me how it's gross to be uncut.

That's just one example, I've had several experiences here like that and I don't want people talking that kind of junk around my son when he gets older and if he gets involved in sports.
This is what creates murders and wars.

Anyway listen to MMM.
And it will be all fine.

And it is not legal to do this in Norway.

Last edited by ACN : 08-19-2008 at 01:18 PM.
(#64 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-19-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACN View Post
This is what creates murders and wars.

Anyway listen to MMM.
And it will be all fine.

And it is not legal to do this in Norway.
Yeah, World war II was all about cutting.
(#65 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

08-19-2008, 01:23 PM

Personally I think it's mean to chop off a bit of someones genitals without consulting them first! I can't see how it can prevent anything drastically. It's not the done thing, here, anyway.
(#66 (permalink))
Old
ACN (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to ACN
08-19-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
Yeah, World war II was all about cutting.
Im talking about religion.
(#67 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-19-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACN View Post
Im talking about religion.
these days, religeon is only one of the reasons people have the procedure done to thier sons. In some countries religeon has nothing to do with it.
(#68 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-19-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
So you think Japanese person, family or culture can be summed up in one sentence?

That was rediculous.

The statement stands as one statement about one aspect of one topic.

Christ almighty, do people really just look for things to fight or argue about in these threads? Is it possible to have one discussion where thin-skinned people don't assume a post is an attack or where someone doesn't turn a discussion onto an argument?
Good grief! I was only joking, hence the smilie I used at the end of the statement. I'm literally offended that you would think I'd literally be that stupid! I figured, based on my posts, you'd know me better than that and that I wasn't serious, then again, I can see how things online can be misconstrued and misconceived, even when, imo, the person is obviously joking.

Edit: Oh...never mind. I just looked at my original post to see how you got that notion. I forgot, on this board, :lol: doesn't create the laughing smilie, like at the other ones I go to. How about I correct that post, so that you'll get I was joking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81
Quote:
I know what co-sleeping is. Most people I know do it. In case you forgot, American is a diverse society, especially in California where whites are the minority and where most people I know have relatives or parents who came from all over the earth. It's very common here. Most of the self-soothing stuff I read was really outdated - The Dr. Spock stuff that my generation was raised with.

And when did I say this isn't a cultural issue? I'm a cultural anthropologist by education and training. One of the cultural differences is that American culture respects and expects self-sufficiency. In Japan the cultural group and family is more close-knit. The American style of dependance does not work in Japan. The Japanese style doesn't work so well in America either - a child raised that way in the states would be considered weak.

Once again, you took some pretty general and innocuous ideas, from someone who has always expressed respect to you and solidarity on several issues, and blew them out of proportion. This issue is by no means a central issue to anything.

Please don't assume people are either stupid or attacking your posts.
You know, by that bolded sentence there, I guess I'm a Japanese person trapped in a black person's body.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 08-19-2008 at 03:56 PM.
(#69 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-19-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
So, is it o.k. for a 16 year-old girl to sleep with her father? Are you saying there's no limit to this cultural issue?
I've shared a bed with my father when older before. On Sundays when we would have breakfast, I'd usually go in there to wake him up and I'd sit on the other side of the bed and bug him until he got up. Sometimes, though, I'd sit there and talk to him, and then I'd end up falling asleep myself. I've done the same with my mother too.

That aside, I've been studying SIDS in my class, but I've never seen that listed as one of the reasons attributed to it.
(#70 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-20-2008, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Good grief! I was only joking, hence the smilie I used at the end of the statement. I'm literally offended that you would think I'd literally be that stupid! I figured, based on my posts, you'd know me better than that and that I wasn't serious, then again, I can see how things online can be misconstrued and misconceived, even when, imo, the person is obviously joking.

Edit: Oh...never mind. I just looked at my original post to see how you got that notion. I forgot, on this board, :lol: doesn't create the laughing smilie, like at the other ones I go to. How about I correct that post, so that you'll get I was joking?
O.K. please accept my apology.