JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Parenting in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/parenting-japan/)
-   -   doing a year working abroad with child (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/parenting-japan/21619-doing-year-working-abroad-child.html)

tocrayzay 12-15-2008 08:15 PM

doing a year working abroad with child

I was just curious, I know it's possible to get a 1 year visa to work in Japan (as a German anyway)in a work exchange program, however I'm a single mother (my kid's 15 months right now), is it still possible. I've searched online but haven't found anything about bringing family. Thanks guys

Keaton421 12-15-2008 08:25 PM

If I had a baby, I'd focus on getting a long-term job wherever I lived. No need to move your little one around so much

tocrayzay 12-15-2008 08:32 PM

well the thing is until she's three i'm bound to be unemployed in germany since i can't get a daycare spot until then, there are places that take younger children but the waiting lists are horrendous (already been waiting on one for 6 months now).

MMM 12-15-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tocrayzay (Post 645518)
well the thing is until she's three i'm bound to be unemployed in germany since i can't get a daycare spot until then, there are places that take younger children but the waiting lists are horrendous (already been waiting on one for 6 months now).

I would say most of the jobs that hire single people for work in Japan will assume you do not have a baby. This will make some positions with dormitory housing situations impossible. Though there is daycare for young children available, but it isn't free.

Keaton421 12-15-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tocrayzay (Post 645518)

What about the baby's father? Isn't he paying child support to help with stuff like this?

tocrayzay 12-15-2008 09:11 PM

oh finances aren't the problem (and no he isn't paying he's a deadbeat asshole, but we have a good social system, so the gov pays that until he gets the money and they'll take it back from him) its just i've been working pretty much since i was 14 and hate not working.
but thanks for all the info i was just curious if it was possible i'm trying to see what all my options are, since i have dual citizenship (german and american) i've also been trying to get a job on post and stuff. i just thought it'd be interesting to participate in a program like that

Firebird 12-16-2008 10:45 AM

I assume you speak german than

hier steht
Botschaft von Japan in Deutschland : Konsularisches - Ferienarbeitsaufenthalt
Voraussetzungen:
Die Antragsteller werden nicht von Kindern begleitet.

Sorry to tell you, but the Working holiday Visa is only for you and you will not be allowed to bring your child over!

tocrayzay 12-16-2008 11:28 AM

ok schade aber trotzdem danke, warum hab ich das nicht gefunden...oh well thanks everyone

sdbri 02-22-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tocrayzay (Post 645506)
I was just curious, I know it's possible to get a 1 year visa to work in Japan (as a German anyway)in a work exchange program, however I'm a single mother (my kid's 15 months right now), is it still possible. I've searched online but haven't found anything about bringing family. Thanks guys

You may have a harder time in Japan than Germany as a single mother with a 15 month old. In fact, I can't think of a harder industrialized country in the world.