LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
sdbri (Offline)
New to JF

02-22-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
Yeah, plenty. There are tons of myths and rumors, like "You can't get pregnant the first time", or "Two condoms are better than one", or "I can just pull out" (well, always worked for me )

In my junior high school year we took home this fake baby that would wake you up crying every 30 minutes or so for 2 nights. It was hell, and it made pregnancy one of the first thoughts in my mind when I slept with a girl, instead of an afterthought
Exactly, I've heard those very words come out of my students' mouths before. The 11 year old boy in UK didn't know, and neither did one of the 11 year old kids at a local school. It's usually covered up.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
sdbri (Offline)
New to JF

02-22-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard63 View Post
I understand that Japan has one of the lowest rates of teenage pregnancies in the world. Here in the UK it is high, and I was wondering, why this should be?
Some of the factors that could explain this, I have been trying to guess.

1. Is it looked upon as more shameful to be a young unmarried mother in Japan than in the UK?
2. Is it because of better contraception?
3. Financial reasons? In the UK, a single mother will get money given to her by the state and is given accomodation. The more children you have, the more money you get, and the more children you have, the bigger the house you will get. Does this happen in Japan?
4. General behavioural attitudes. I understand Japan has a very low crime rate compared with the UK, and there is more respect given to all sorts of aspects in life. Is this connected in any way?
5. Religion?

I hope there is someone out there that will be able to answer my question.
Thanks,
Richard.
1) Yes.
2) No, maybe more frequent use of conception.
3) Most people don't get teen pregnant to make money, but indirectly without it they might spend more money on education and some parents would change their attitude.
4) Has little to do with crime.
5) Has little to do with religion, the only factor there is in the shame.

The two key differences in teen pregnancy rates:
1) Abortion, abortion, abortion. Teen pregnancy is not going to be reported in these cases, thus statistically they never happened.
2) Segregation. Teenagers in the UK are in fact having more sex than teenagers in Japan, due to a lot more opportunity to comingle.

The second point, you've got to see the difference between both societies. The kid father in UK got the girl pregnant at a co-ed sleepover. Tell me, who let's their son sleep over with girls??? Most parents in the UK would never, so this is more an issue with the fact the UK has some very permissive parents who are exceptions in society. Sarah Palin's daughter got pregnant on one of her dates with her boyfriend. Again, most parents would murder their daughter before letting her go unchaperoned with a post-pubescent boy. Japan has the same common sense, it's just enforced more consistently and shame on the parents who don't enforce it.

Furthermore, girls and boys are segregated at the prime ages, especially after school. There's not much free time to hang around with the opposite sex, because of cram school. And many schools, particularly private ones, have strict policies that extend outside the school and are enforced in public.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
poster1 (Offline)
New to JF

01-25-2010, 07:05 PM

Another possible explaination is that there is much less inequality in Japan than in the UK. (observe the relevant Gini co-efficients)

By having less economic inequality means a greater economic mobility within a country.

Hence it is relatively easier for a Japanese girl to pursue a reasonably wealthy lifestyle than a similar economic background girl in US or the UK - assuming equal in relevant skills in job market.

So by getting pregnant, a Japanese girl has much more to lose than a similar counterpart in UK or the US. This is a highly likely explaination since it is based on empirics.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-25-2010, 10:00 PM

When I was in Japan for a brief student-exchange, we (the American students) and the Japanese students were all asked to raise our hand if we know a teenager who was/is pregnant.

Several of the Americans raised their hand, and NONE of the Japanese kids did.

We were also asked if we knew a teenager who had had an abortion; several of us raised our hands but once again NONE of the Japanese students did.

I don't think it was dishonesty... I just don't think they're having sex.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-26-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
When I was in Japan for a brief student-exchange, we (the American students) and the Japanese students were all asked to raise our hand if we know a teenager who was/is pregnant.

Several of the Americans raised their hand, and NONE of the Japanese kids did.

We were also asked if we knew a teenager who had had an abortion; several of us raised our hands but once again NONE of the Japanese students did.

I don't think it was dishonesty... I just don't think they're having sex.
Having gone to a Japanese high school - and an all girls one at that... I don`t quite think you`re right on that one. There is just a lot more at stake and a lot more education about it.

The circumstances are simply different. Most girls I knew had their first time at a hotel - bathed, clean, with ample condoms at hand that were put to use. There was a "myth" going around that the first time was easier than normal to get pregnant, so people were CAREFUL. The sheer cost of abortion also makes it very hard to get one easily (around $1000 if you`re lucky and catch it in the first few weeks). A stronger family life also makes a difference as parents seems to be more likely to care and pay attention to their children, so it would be harder to hide.

Unless, of course, there is family participation. If mom and dad decide that their little girl isn`t going to have a baby at 16... No one has to know.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
Eureka77 (Offline)
JF Regular

01-26-2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
1) Not sure
2) They have the same contraception as anywhere else
3) Pregnancy is low all around in Japan. There's no maternity leave
4) I doubt that
5) Definitely not. Very few Japanese are religious at all.

I wish I knew the real answer. Teen pregnancy is high in America too.
Lol.

That's why I joined the group called. "C.O.D. (Call of Duty), Stopping teen pregnacy since 2003."

I love Japan!!!
(#47 (permalink))
Old
shinagawa (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to shinagawa
02-05-2010, 04:12 PM

立派に自立した30代の大人でさえ、子育ては難 しいのに、社会や親の保護下に居ない
と生きていけない10代のガキンチョが、子供を立派に育 てるのはさらに難しかろう。親は
自分自身の経験を基礎にして子育てするけど、10代の若 者の経験 なんて高が知れてい
るでしょ。
(#48 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

02-05-2010, 08:46 PM

I think that there is a serious lack of morals in England and the family unit is breaking down and not as strong as it used to be.
Living in England I see more and more young parents, some of which do not deserve to be parents!!!

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#49 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

02-05-2010, 10:00 PM

I think this whole stopping teen pregnancy deal is bullshit
It is natural .. it is biological .. it is the time when our sexual organs are developing and need to be exercised. it is only because of this system that we do not encourage it.. it is only because teens do not have stable jobs which can support a family.. it is because of school.
no other animal on this planet attempts to halt their offspring from reproducing when their offspring develops sexual organs...
do you know why some animals develop sexual desires earlier than the time when they could viably reproduce offspring? it's so that they gain practice with a failed child.. some of this lack of failure in parenting might go to explain a lack of parenting in the long run (i.e. parents have no experiences in which their offspring die or develop with issues and such don't learn from wrong choices.. their parenting has not been developed with a policy of "learn by doing".. only by "learn by observing" and that is never a good system in and of itself)

IamKira
(#50 (permalink))
Old
Trinket (Offline)
New to JF

02-05-2010, 10:34 PM

Teen pregnancy.. Huh. Interesting subject. In the US we have a problem also. I think that many countries have that issue the question is though is it an issue in a country where women are born and raised to become wives?

In countries like the US and UK women have the ability to become as prosperous as men because of this reason those who have children young, or get married young are looked at as if they've just ruined their whole lives but I don't think that's true. If all you want from life is to raise a family then so be it. Having a child sometimes even teaches young girls who are going down the wrong path to straighten up.

Now back on topic, I think Japan is a more career focused country and because of this reason teenagers have less time to mess around, I could be wrong though. It's just an assumption.