LinkBack Thread Tools
(#111 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

06-04-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
In tests of children acquiring both languages, they acquire both at about 70% the speed of a child acquiring a single language. So when it comes to speech and comprehension they do appear behind - but have actually acquired 40% more than the monolingual child. It`s just split between two different languages.

After around 75% of both languages is cemented, generally one of the languages takes the forefront and will remain the dominant and preferred language throughout the child`s life. There are very few truly 50/50 bilinguals out there - one language is almost always a bit better than the other.

For us, 30% more time to start talking for my son would have been unthinkable. It already took him 4 years to say his first word... *sigh*
That's some interesting information.

Funnily enough, all my friends with kids similar age to my son are amazed how much he does actually speak. He seems to have picked up a lot of vocabulary fast, but I do think English is dominant with him so far. I guess that could also have something to do with him living in an English speaking country.

Are you saying your son started to speak when he was four years old?

Cheers - Oz
(#112 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-04-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
That's some interesting information.

Funnily enough, all my friends with kids similar age to my son are amazed how much he does actually speak. He seems to have picked up a lot of vocabulary fast, but I do think English is dominant with him so far. I guess that could also have something to do with him living in an English speaking country.

Are you saying your son started to speak when he was four years old?
I am quite sure that your son`s dominant language will end up being English if you continue living in an English speaking country - as soon as he begins to spend more time outside of the home and away from Japanese speakers, peer influence will overtake home influence.

And yes, that is what I meant... My son didn`t speak his first word until he was 4.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#113 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

06-04-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:

And yes, that is what I meant... My son didn`t speak his first word until he was 4.
Very cute.. I think I may have wished for the same as Kai is driving me nuts!

I feel like I'm listening to a broken record player!

Cheers - Oz
(#114 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-04-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:

I feel like I'm listening to a broken record player!
Please, never say that lightly. You have no idea the gravity of it.
It falls in the same category as saying preemies are so small and cute, and will get nothing but a very cold glare from me.

It`s a lot like saying "Aww, I wish my kid was paralyzed from the waist down too because he drives me crazy running around!" when you spot someone pushing their child with cerebral palsy around in a wheelchair. It`s about as cruel as you can be.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 06-04-2009 at 04:40 PM.
(#115 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
06-18-2009, 04:12 AM

Quote:
It falls in the same category as saying preemies are so small and cute, and will get nothing but a very cold glare from me.

It`s a lot like saying "Aww, I wish my kid was paralyzed from the waist down too because he drives me crazy running around!" when you spot someone pushing their child with cerebral palsy around in a wheelchair. It`s about as cruel as you can be.
If I may ask without giving offense, how old is he now, and is he healthy and developing steadily today?

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#116 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

06-18-2009, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jok3r View Post
do we have any mutts on this forum?
definitly me lol. i think that every one is a mix of somthing i don't see how you could necessarily be one complete race especially with out having any caucasian in you since there was definitly children born from major european imperialism. as well as it dose appear we all originated from 1 of 12 african tribes i believe.
(#117 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

06-18-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:

I see it all the time.

I don't have a problem with it and occassionally volunteer my time.

I treat all with disabilities like anyone else, albeit with an extra bit of work.

No doubt the workload becomes very hard and strenuous with your own child, and I understand that.

I appreciate your thought's.

Cheers - Oz
(#118 (permalink))
Old
yukilovesjapan (Offline)
New to JF

Asian American Children - 06-19-2009, 04:44 PM

Hey! just wanted to add to this by saying if you like to see part Asian part European kids or are wondering if your kid'll look Asian,i would say they probably will. and i would watch an episode or check out a picture of the Gosselin Children of Jon and Kate plus 8. the are 1/4'th Korean and look very Asian and are extremely adorable.
(#119 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-19-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:

tact  [takt]
–noun
1.a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; skill in dealing with difficult or delicate situations.
(#120 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

06-19-2009, 06:01 PM

Couldn't agree more..

So many mixed kids are so cute, although I know a few that don't qualify.

Luckily my son ranks up their with the best

Cheers - Oz