(#141 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-21-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
I hear you, don't worry. I know it was a poor thing to say. I understand how hard it must be.

I think my Chuekie is pregnant again (after so long trying; first one miscarriaged). We both say we cannot take care of one if it isn't 100%. We wouldn't keep it, so you must be bold.
You would be surprised.
I figured the last thing I would want would be to have a disabled kid. Physical disability, yeah, I figured I could handle that - but mental disability? No way.

Then stuff happened. I tried to make the choice to let my son die (he was technically a miscarriage, if I were to go into detail - he was about to die inside and be naturally aborted from what I understand) but he was past viability so was extracted and put in the hospital.
There was no way to know what would happen, and things were happening quickly enough that there really wasn`t a point where you could say "Wait, I don`t want this kid." All I could do was stand by an incubator and hope that if he was going to have a poor quality of life that he pass away quickly and with little suffering.
And then after 5 months when he was released from intensive care we got the news on the brain damage (not a huge surprise) but after all that time it wasn`t as if you could just say no to taking him home.

Most of the time you don`t know the kid has a disability until they`ve been around for years and you`ve gotten attached and invested a bunch of time and money into them. And at that point, I think it would be very hard to just call it quits - especially when you really don`t know how bad things will be until the kid is a lot older. Even more so if most everything else is close to perfect.

Disability or not, my son is still one of the best behaved kids I know. And that is saying a lot as most parents are fairly attentive in Japan. Behaving like a spoilt brat is never cute. Even with an "excuse" I still wouldn`t tolerate that crap. Run around in a store messing with stuff? We`re leaving, NOW. I cannot stand people who just stand by giggling as their kid breaks every rule of being in public. Sure, it may seem cute at 2, but how about at 4 or 5? You`ve just been supporting their behavior all along so it will really come back and bite you when you decide they`re too old for it.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#142 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

06-21-2009, 09:42 AM

Nyororin, if my wife can display even half of the mothering qualities you have to my child, I'll be a very fortunate man with a very fortunate child.

I guess I cannot say how I'll go through it (disabilities) until it does happen (if ever). Even if I say I know. So I'll just leave that.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#143 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

06-21-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post

You are making a flippant remark about wishing your own child were disabled, because, you know, that`s so cute and all. Without giving ANY thought to the seriousness - without giving any thought to the future of that child. And without giving any thought to the fact that 99.99999% of parents who have a disabled child, if there were a magic way to turn back time and remove the problems from their child`s future, would kill for that chance.

I don't think anybody would wish that on their child, although it wouldn't change my mind if my child did have a disability.

Like I said, I understand the extra work, but at the end of the day, if it happens, live and let live with a smile.

I guess we ALL have different personalities.

You seem to be trying to over prove something here and I am just not getting it, although I respect your opinion.

I am getting the message that you expect people to feel sorry for you of which I do not.

I can here your negative thought's on spoilt kids as being brats and thank you for your opinion, however, and I repeat, It does not change my perspective on people with disabilities.

Cheers - Oz
(#144 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-21-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
I don't think anybody would wish that on their child, although it wouldn't change my mind if my child did have a disability.

Like I said, I understand the extra work, but at the end of the day, if it happens, live and let live with a smile.

I guess we ALL have different personalities.

You seem to be trying to over prove something here and I am just not getting it, although I respect your opinion.

I am getting the message that you expect people to feel sorry for you of which I do not.

I can here your negative thought's on spoilt kids as being brats and thank you for your opinion, however, and I repeat, It does not change my perspective on people with disabilities.
Honestly, I give up. Somewhere along the line what you are focusing on in what I am saying, and what I was trying to point out as being head-shaking sad about the comment you made completely missed each other. It doesn`t matter what your opinion or feelings about people with disabilities. Nor do I want anyone to feel sorry for me or my son.
It`s that you said THIS
Quote:
Very cute.. I think I may have wished for the same as Kai is driving me nuts!

I feel like I'm listening to a broken record player!
Which amounts to saying that you wished your son were disabled because normal is driving you nuts. You are saying that you DID wish that on your child, because apparently it`s cute to be disabled... Which I strongly STRONGLY agree with.

If you cannot see why I am left stunned (along with some others...) then really, there is not much else I can say. I thought the example of saying you wished your kid were malnourished too because he is too big to the parent of a starving child would make it clearer, but I guess not. *sigh*

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#145 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

06-21-2009, 12:43 PM

Nyorin, I'm not sure what I was saying their but of course I do not wish my son was disabled.

Having said that, I am trying to say here that I feel for you, your son and hope all is as happy as can be.

I am also saying for me, If my son was disabled, It wouldn't make me think he was less cuter and I am sure of that.

I also realize that your son's disability must make things a little more difficult for Mum and Dad, but hey, that's life ne, or is that just me?

I am also trying to say that if I knew you personally as a friend, you would understand much clearer.

I had a disabled boy in one of my classes in Japan.. Nine students, one boy had a disability..

I'm not sure what exactly was wrong, but it drove me NUTS how his mum would pay special attention and all I wanted to do was treat him the same as all the students and not make him feel "special" which I thought would make him feel comfortable naturally.

It worked and he flourished in my class. Things were good..

Cheers - Oz
(#146 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

06-22-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
I'm not sure what exactly was wrong, but it drove me NUTS how his mum would pay special attention and all I wanted to do was treat him the same as all the students and not make him feel "special" which I thought would make him feel comfortable naturally...
I hate that, too. I agree with your perspective here, but I don't think this sounds like Nyororin.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#147 (permalink))
Old
Shokupanman (Offline)
New to JF

06-22-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiSarah View Post
I was wondering if anybody on here are a mixed race couple with children or babies on the way, or are children of mixed races in Japan.

I am a Caucasian woman marrying a Japanese man. We are very excited to start our family soon after marrying. I would like to get to know others who have married other races maybe share some photos of children!

I always enjoy seeing mixed race families where i work it makes me excited about my future family!
Whether they are mixed or otherwise I would just add that I personally think that all kids are cute......until they grow up!

Good luck with the marriage and making the kids, that's the fun part, then the labor of love starts and please keep in mind that your kids, no matter if they are mixed or otherwise, should be treasured for who they are and not what their heritage is.
(#148 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

06-22-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokupanman View Post
Good luck with the marriage and making the kids, that's the fun part, then the labor of love starts and please keep in mind that your kids, no matter if they are mixed or otherwise, should be treasured for who they are and not what their heritage is.
Bullsh**! My kid is going to dread the fact it is half Thai...

If it wants to be treasured then it has to earn that, anyway.

(#149 (permalink))
Old
lfarroco (Offline)
New to JF

06-22-2009, 03:57 AM

I am from Brazil and I know some people that are mixed japaneses. It seems that the niponic genes tend to overcome the western ones =P

In this article in Wikipedia you can see that the japanese brazilians aren't any different from the ones in Japan.
Japanese Brazilian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe that the diet is the cause of some corporal small differences, like the size of the breasts, height and so on.

Just to note: I am mixed of portuguese, german and amerindian... xD
(#150 (permalink))
Old
Shokupanman (Offline)
New to JF

06-22-2009, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Bullsh**! My kid is going to dread the fact it is half Thai...

If it wants to be treasured then it has to earn that, anyway.
With a parent like you what kid would ever need an enemy.

Damn I wonder if Tiger Woods ever regreted that his Mom was Thai

Parents insecurities have a funny way of getting passed down to their children. I just hope that your child manages to find a way to overlook and outgrow one of his or her parents ignorance.

Last edited by Shokupanman : 06-22-2009 at 04:18 AM.