JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Parenting in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/parenting-japan/)
-   -   Mixed race children. (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/parenting-japan/23448-mixed-race-children.html)

werkz 02-27-2009 12:02 AM

how far back can one say to be a certain ethnicity. speaking generations. 3 or 4 generations back or only direct parents? I learned it was my grandfather who was half Japanese but strictly wants to be known as Korean. I still consider myself Korean/Mexican primarily as i am not sure if I can claim to be Japanese.

Its good to hear that in japan its tolerated.

Ronin4hire 02-27-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by werkz (Post 679260)
how far back can one say to be a certain ethnicity. speaking generations. 3 or 4 generations back or only direct parents? I learned it was my grandfather who was half Japanese but strictly wants to be known as Korean. I still consider myself Korean/Mexican primarily as i am not sure if I can claim to be Japanese.

Its good to hear that in japan its tolerated.

I guess as long as you feel it's relevant and you sincerely identify with a certain ethnicity or nationality then it's your right to claim it. :)

werkz 02-27-2009 12:26 AM

Its not so much the relevancy of it, its just helps me understand my ancestry =D. It really puts a new spin on that whole "Korea doesn't like Japan and vice versa" thing for me though.

Anyone else have experience with mixed race children or being mixed themselves?

Ronin4hire 02-27-2009 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by werkz (Post 679263)
Its not so much the relevancy of it, its just helps me understand my ancestry =D. It really puts a new spin on that whole "Korea doesn't like Japan and vice versa" thing for me though.

aaah.. gotcha

Yeah it is interesting to learn :)

alanX 02-27-2009 12:48 AM

I see mixed raced kids all the time in school. And I'm dating a Japanese woman. No kids though :-/

Nyororin 02-27-2009 04:32 AM

Erm, I`m Caucasian and have been married to a Japanese man for 8 years now... And we have a son who is half.

What is it you specifically want to know?

alanX 02-27-2009 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 679358)
Erm, I`m Caucasian and have been married to a Japanese man for 8 years now... And we have a son who is half.

What is it you specifically want to know?

Ahhhh that's so cute! I hope that happens to me me soon. Except...you know, the other way around.

Congratulations on 8 years, by the way. That's incredible:vsign:

Nyororin 02-27-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 679361)
Congratulations on 8 years, by the way. That's incredible:vsign:

Really? I was sort of under the impression that marriage was supposed to be a lifetime commitment...

Thank you for the congratulations though. We`re in our 9th year now.

alanX 02-27-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 679395)
Really? I was sort of under the impression that marriage was supposed to be a lifetime commitment...

Thank you for the congratulations though. We`re in our 9th year now.

That's exactly what it's supposed to be. But unfortunately it's drifted away from that.

UsagiSarah 02-28-2009 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 679358)
Erm, I`m Caucasian and have been married to a Japanese man for 8 years now... And we have a son who is half.

What is it you specifically want to know?



ooh wow! thats great to hear! awww i bet he looks so cute! what is his name??? do you live in Japan??


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:04 PM.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6