LinkBack Thread Tools
(#201 (permalink))
Old
Javen (Offline)
JF Regular

09-29-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Umm... Last time I checked, all of Asia wasn't Japanese. If a Japanese person marries someone Korean, Chinese, or Filipino - the top nationalities for international marriages - they are still considered *international*. Any marriage where one partner is not a Japanese citizen is an international marriage.
wrong...those people are considered asian..they are not in the same rank as non-asian foreigners...so hence their children will be considered non-japanese as well

and those types of families are living in Japan temporarily...majority of them have already moved abroad to China, Korea, Philippines

Last edited by Javen : 09-29-2011 at 11:17 AM.
(#202 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-29-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javen View Post
wrong...those people are considered asian..they are not in the same rank as non-asian foreigners...so hence their children will be considered non-japanese as well

and those types of families are living in Japan temporarily...majority of them have already moved abroad to China, Korea, Philippines
That is if their children go around declaring that they aren't full Japanese. Which from what I have seen simply does not happen. I know several East Asian-Japanese couples, some with adult children, and I assure you - their children are considered Japanese. In fact, they barely seem to acknowledge any non-Japanese heritage at all in life.

Most international marriages between Japanese and other Asians stay in Japan. Japan tends to have the higher standard of living, and Asian wife-Japanese husband is the most common combination. (The husband's home country tends to have more weight than the wife's).

Along the same lines, most marriages between actual westerners are western husband-Japanese wife, so they leave Japan far more often than stay.

Either way though - the figures you quoted are for ALL international marriages in Japan. NOT for only non-Asian international marriages. I recall reading something like a 3000-4000 marriage range for westerner-Japanese marriages, with 75% moving outside of Japan within the first few years. A marriage registered in Japan doesn't mean a couple lives in Japan after the marriage.

You can go on and on about how I am wrong and a dreamy future of mixed Japanese-caucasian children, but the figures do not support it at all.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#203 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
09-29-2011, 07:50 PM

13 weeks along

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#204 (permalink))
Old
Javen (Offline)
JF Regular

10-02-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
That is if their children go around declaring that they aren't full Japanese. Which from what I have seen simply does not happen. I know several East Asian-Japanese couples, some with adult children, and I assure you - their children are considered Japanese. In fact, they barely seem to acknowledge any non-Japanese heritage at all in life.

Most international marriages between Japanese and other Asians stay in Japan. Japan tends to have the higher standard of living, and Asian wife-Japanese husband is the most common combination. (The husband's home country tends to have more weight than the wife's).

Along the same lines, most marriages between actual westerners are western husband-Japanese wife, so they leave Japan far more often than stay.

Either way though - the figures you quoted are for ALL international marriages in Japan. NOT for only non-Asian international marriages. I recall reading something like a 3000-4000 marriage range for westerner-Japanese marriages, with 75% moving outside of Japan within the first few years. A marriage registered in Japan doesn't mean a couple lives in Japan after the marriage.

You can go on and on about how I am wrong and a dreamy future of mixed Japanese-caucasian children, but the figures do not support it at all.

read this...mixed race..as in non-asian..as in westerner
Quote:
TOKYO —
Japan has long been regarded as a homogenous culture: to look Japanese and to speak the language was to be Japanese. However, with one in 30 babies here now being born to mixed-race couples, these concepts are starting to change. It’s an issue that’s particularly pertinent for the children of such couples, who have been dealing with questions of national identity for their whole lives, and now a group of young “hafu” are exploring what their experiences mean for the future of Japan.

The Hafu Project: Exploring the question of what it means to be Japanese ‹ Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion
(#205 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-02-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
read this...mixed race..as in non-asian..as in westerner
you didn't even read the article you posted; mix race does not equal only westerners to the exclusion of other asian races.

"One of their subjects is David Yano, a half Ghanaian-" Ghana. Africa. Not western.

"-the Oi family—a Japanese father, Mexican mother and their two children—" Mexico. Western arguably, but not white like you seem to be implying.

"-will be debating the issue of whether to naturalize or not, and another will represent the most common demographic for hafu, an Asian mix, exploring what the issue of identity is like for someone who, on a superficial level at least, blends easily into Japanese society." This is EXACTLY what Nyororin was saying. The vast vast majority of mix-race children are half-japanese half-asian. They do not stand out from the crowd. 29 of those 30 babies will look Japanese, speak Japanese and know predominantly only Japanese culture. They're not going to be the harbingers of massive social change, save that the Japanese diet might start to include more kimchi.

On a different note I always think it's kind of interesting that people of mixed Ainu/Japanese heritage aren't usually counted as 'hafu'. Technically they do have mixed racial profiles.
(#206 (permalink))
Old
Javen (Offline)
JF Regular

10-02-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
you didn't even read the article you posted; mix race does not equal only westerners to the exclusion of other asian races.

"One of their subjects is David Yano, a half Ghanaian-" Ghana. Africa. Not western.

"-the Oi family—a Japanese father, Mexican mother and their two children—" Mexico. Western arguably, but not white like you seem to be implying.

"-will be debating the issue of whether to naturalize or not, and another will represent the most common demographic for hafu, an Asian mix, exploring what the issue of identity is like for someone who, on a superficial level at least, blends easily into Japanese society." This is EXACTLY what Nyororin was saying. The vast vast majority of mix-race children are half-japanese half-asian. They do not stand out from the crowd. 29 of those 30 babies will look Japanese, speak Japanese and know predominantly only Japanese culture. They're not going to be the harbingers of massive social change, save that the Japanese diet might start to include more kimchi.

On a different note I always think it's kind of interesting that people of mixed Ainu/Japanese heritage aren't usually counted as 'hafu'. Technically they do have mixed racial profiles.
Ghana and Mexico are western..
Ummm thats because Ainu are japanese

LOL korean women aren't exactly flocking to get married to japanese men, this ain't 1940s anymore....its actually the other way around....Asian women are migrating to Korea to get married...and western men and women are migrating to Japan to get married..
(#207 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-02-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
western men and women are migrating to Japan to get married..
Since when? Any stats to back this up?
(#208 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-02-2011, 05:55 PM

It appears that he is cherry picking specific phrases and bits of information to form an image of Japan and mixing of races that just simply doesn't exist.
"Hafu", as they are called in the article, are a mix of Japanese and ANY ethnic background other than Japanese. It can be western, or it can be (as is overwhelmingly common) Asian.
A child born to a Japanese parent and a Chinese or Korean parent is going to just as much a "hafu" as one born to a Japanese parent and an American parent. The visibility is just going to be different - one will be obvious, and one will be invisible.

Quote:
LOL korean women aren't exactly flocking to get married to japanese men, this ain't 1940s anymore....its actually the other way around....Asian women are migrating to Korea to get married...and western men and women are migrating to Japan to get married..
Where you get this information is a mystery to me too. I would love to see your sources.
Right now, I see tons of Korean and Filipino women coming to Japan and trying to get married... And succeeding, it seems, as they are at the top of international marriages.
I can't speak for other Asian countries, but while there may be plenty of Korean idols popular in Japan - you certainly don't see Korea depicted as the place to go and find a husband.

As for western men and women migrating to Japan to get married... There are a fair number of western men who either want to have sex with Japanese/Asian women, and a fair number who want a "submissive Asian wife", but you don't see many of them actually moving to Japan. As for western women migrating to Japan to get married....
It is a very exclusive club, to put it lightly.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 10-02-2011 at 06:02 PM.
(#210 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-02-2011, 08:05 PM

If I post something on YouTube, does it make it official, true, or statistically correct?