Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-03-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javen View Post
Ghana and Mexico are western..
Ummm thats because Ainu are japanese

LOL korean women aren't exactly flocking to get married to japanese men, this ain't 1940s anymore....its actually the other way around....Asian women are migrating to Korea to get married...and western men and women are migrating to Japan to get married..
Still not the 'western' you were originally banging on about. And your last statement is totally wrong. Most immigrants come here for work or seeking a better way of life and marriage is incidental. The muslim community especially doesn't; many of them have wives at home.

The American/europeans who come here mostly come for the experience of living in a safe asian country on what is generally a glorified gap year or to study but they're certainly not considering marriage. Put it this way, I'm willing to bet I know a damn few more foreigners living in Japan right now than you do, and not a one of them has 'get married' as a goal here. Get laid, yes, but not married. And I know more than three couples who did get married here- but to other foreigners!

The Ainu are listed as 'Japanese' by nationality, but genetically they've got completely separate roots.
(#212 (permalink))
Old
Javen (Offline)
JF Regular

10-03-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Still not the 'western' you were originally banging on about. And your last statement is totally wrong. Most immigrants come here for work or seeking a better way of life and marriage is incidental. The muslim community especially doesn't; many of them have wives at home.

The American/europeans who come here mostly come for the experience of living in a safe asian country on what is generally a glorified gap year or to study but they're certainly not considering marriage. Put it this way, I'm willing to bet I know a damn few more foreigners living in Japan right now than you do, and not a one of them has 'get married' as a goal here. Get laid, yes, but not married. And I know more than three couples who did get married here- but to other foreigners!

The Ainu are listed as 'Japanese' by nationality, but genetically they've got completely separate roots.
laid or marraige...both produce babies...

if we count in the number of westerners who boink japanese...must be the reason why 1 in 30 japanese babies are half westerner...thank you

Quote:
Half Caucasian (pref. American), half Japanese, born in Tokyo or Yokohama - somewhere with lots of other Halvsies. Grows up speaking both English and Japanese with no problems, goes to international school, surrounded by lots of other similar Halvsies. Very confident, good looking, of course doing a bit of modelling/TV work here and there. Does a great deal of traveling, and ends up getting a great-paying job in a high profile company
Is there such a thing as a stereotypical Halvsie? - Halvsie Forums

Last edited by Javen : 10-03-2011 at 01:43 AM.
(#213 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-03-2011, 09:51 AM

I have finally figured out exactly where this skewed idea is coming from.

Javen, you are misinterpreting two different terms as meaning the same thing when they do not.
You are reading the popular use of "half" and term "children from international marriages" as meaning the same thing.

"Half" in popular usage does indeed usually refer to mixed Japanese-western individuals... However, the "international marriage" referred to in the statistics is something else entirely. While it includes the parents of the "half" children, it also includes all the other much more numerous non-western international marriages.

The statistics are only talking about the international marriages. The sites talking about "halfs" are referring to children of a very specific subsection of those. Just as not every fruit tree is going to be an apple tree, every international marriage is not going to be western-Japanese... However, every apple is going to come from a fruit tree and every western-Japanese marriage is going to be an "international marriage".

This sort of warping of meanings isn`t really uncommon - but it is entirely incorrect.

In the end, the fact is that only a small number of the international marriages in the "1 in 30" figure are between Japanese and non-Asians. Only those can potentially produce half-western children. All the others will be invisible as Japanese-Asian "halfs".

Really, you should go to Japan and see just how many "half" children or western-Japanese couples you spot. It sure won`t even be anywhere vaguely close to "1 in 30" , even in the most saturated expat areas in Tokyo.

But you are welcome to keep constructing this dreamlike vision of a Japan where half of every elementary school class is mixed, instead of the reality of maybe 1 in 1000, if you`re lucky.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#214 (permalink))
Old
Javen (Offline)
JF Regular

10-03-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I have finally figured out exactly where this skewed idea is coming from.

Javen, you are misinterpreting two different terms as meaning the same thing when they do not.
You are reading the popular use of "half" and term "children from international marriages" as meaning the same thing.

"Half" in popular usage does indeed usually refer to mixed Japanese-western individuals... However, the "international marriage" referred to in the statistics is something else entirely. While it includes the parents of the "half" children, it also includes all the other much more numerous non-western international marriages.

The statistics are only talking about the international marriages. The sites talking about "halfs" are referring to children of a very specific subsection of those. Just as not every fruit tree is going to be an apple tree, every international marriage is not going to be western-Japanese... However, every apple is going to come from a fruit tree and every western-Japanese marriage is going to be an "international marriage".

This sort of warping of meanings isn`t really uncommon - but it is entirely incorrect.

In the end, the fact is that only a small number of the international marriages in the "1 in 30" figure are between Japanese and non-Asians. Only those can potentially produce half-western children. All the others will be invisible as Japanese-Asian "halfs".

Really, you should go to Japan and see just how many "half" children or western-Japanese couples you spot. It sure won`t even be anywhere vaguely close to "1 in 30" , even in the most saturated expat areas in Tokyo.

But you are welcome to keep constructing this dreamlike vision of a Japan where half of every elementary school class is mixed, instead of the reality of maybe 1 in 1000, if you`re lucky.
I base my experience on my last trip to Hawaii...and occasional youtube videos of eurasian celebrities on japanese shows

if these japanese-asian hybrids are really numerous...then why are they called invisible?? hmmm
(#215 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-03-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I base my experience on my last trip to Hawaii...and occasional youtube videos of eurasian celebrities on japanese shows
Hawaii is not Japan. The number of mixed race couples and children there has zero effect on Japan. Hawaii is really a very special situation regardless - I believe that it has one of the highest rates of racial mixing in the world for various reasons.

As for Japanese shows - Eurasian halfs are RARE. They are exotic and fascinating because they are so very rare. Exotic and fascinating things are just what television loves to use to get viewers. It has very little connection with real society - in fact, if they were common in normal life, the exotic appeal would be lost and you wouldn`t see them on tv.

Quote:
if these japanese-asian hybrids are really numerous...then why are they called invisible?? hmmm
Because they DO NOT LOOK DIFFERENT FROM JAPANESE.
This has been said several times in this thread. They LOOK like other Japanese, so they are not *visible*.

Imagine a room full of people born and raised in, say, the UK. While it will not be hard at all to spot a person who has one Asian parent, are you really going to be able to spot the one with one French parent?
There is enough variety in Japanese appearance that you are not going to be able to spot someone with one Korean or Chinese parent.
I would be seriously impressed if you could spot the one with two French parents or two Korean parents if they had been raised in the same country as the rest of the group.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#216 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-03-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
laid or marraige...both produce babies...

if we count in the number of westerners who boink japanese...must be the reason why 1 in 30 japanese babies are half westerner...thank you

Is there such a thing as a stereotypical Halvsie? - Halvsie Forums
But not all guys who come to Japan get laid, or cause pregnancies even if they are getting laid because they use contraception. Not all marriages result in pregnancy. Some couples don't want kids and some can't have them. 1 in 30 Japanese babies are NOT half. Seriously, I live in Tokyo, I've lived in Osaka. I've taught in four different schools here and been to a massive multi-national university. You know how many evidently western-Japanese mixed race kids I've met? Two. Both belonging to my colleague who came to Japan to work and then married. and I've seen two others; one was half-Brazillian, one was half-korean. I had to be told the half-korean kid was mixed because it wasn't evident at all. Even the Japanese receptionist was surprised.

So out of the (no exaggeration) several hundreds of kids and adults I've encountered over the full course of a year and a half, in big city areas where, yes there are expats and quite a few foreigners living... two. Two kids. Not even 10. I have seen more Geisha, more sumo, more yakuza, more obese japanese people, more hookers and more monks than I have seen western halfs. I have met more people who have NEVER met a foreigner before than I have seen halfs.
(#217 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-03-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
There is enough variety in Japanese appearance that you are not going to be able to spot someone with one Korean or Chinese parent.
Well Chinese maybe not,Koreans are fairly distinctive. I think if someone was half-Korean I'd tell they'd have slightly bigger eyes.
(#218 (permalink))
Old
Javen (Offline)
JF Regular

10-04-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
Well Chinese maybe not,Koreans are fairly distinctive. I think if someone was half-Korean I'd tell they'd have slightly bigger eyes.
yeah koreans got really good eyes usually anything mixed with korean will turn out good
(#219 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

10-04-2011, 03:26 AM

Jeez, you talk about it likes it's breeding cows or something.
(#220 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-04-2011, 04:02 AM

The term "half" is a poorly evolved Japanese English word which some mixed race individuals find demeaning when used to describe them.

It is not the proper word to use when described someone of more than one race in English, so let's refrain from using it here.