JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Parenting in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/parenting-japan/)
-   -   Mixed race children. (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/parenting-japan/23448-mixed-race-children.html)

komitsuki 05-29-2009 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keichichan (Post 703319)
Here in the United States it's very difficult for mixed children. Especially if a white marries an african american. But I've said before that people here in the U.S lack compassion and manners.

Go to Canada, a reasonable alternative.

MMM 05-29-2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhantom (Post 721015)
He is mixing them together, not talking separately. a cousin of mine started doing the same and he had trouble learning which was this or that language. Where do you live, Japan? If yes, it is best to talk to him only English, even outside with Japanese people or his friends.

He can learn Japanese via friends.

this is the best way, trust me.

I couldn't disagree more. Yes, it will sound like a mix of two languages when they are 3 and 4 and even 5, but by first grade they will know the difference between Japanese and English. Kids brains are built for soaking up languages, and if you can expose him to three or four languages that is better.

I have a friend with a bilingual 6-year-old son they are now sending to French American school to give him exposure to French.

MMM 05-29-2009 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by komitsuki (Post 724070)
Go to Canada, a reasonable alternative.

No need to go that far. Come to Portland.

ozkai 05-29-2009 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 724081)
No need to go that far. Come to Portland.

Totally agree, or Queensland:)

BakaLolita 05-29-2009 04:13 AM

I'm caucasian, African American, Spanish, and German.

Jok3r 06-01-2009 07:38 PM

I find it very funny when i read how people claim they are native american by ancestory. They are clearly european or african by descent. People should be more honest and stop this fashion crazy mentality. :)

iPhantom 06-01-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 724079)
I couldn't disagree more. Yes, it will sound like a mix of two languages when they are 3 and 4 and even 5, but by first grade they will know the difference between Japanese and English. Kids brains are built for soaking up languages, and if you can expose him to three or four languages that is better.

I have a friend with a bilingual 6-year-old son they are now sending to French American school to give him exposure to French.

I disagree a lot more. Do you know what pain is for the child to go through this? He can't communicate properly till around 4 years old. How would you deal with this... I saw TWO cases of these kinds... and both were my relatives (not siblings). Sometimes they used to cry during night and the doctors explained this phenomena as them being anxious and sad for not achieving what they want communicating

If you want to affect your kids childhood this way then go ahead. I know kids brains are built for soaking that up... but start by teaching 1 language first... wait till he is 3-4 to start teaching the other. It is more effective and gets the same result but it doesn't make him being unable to communicate with his parents.

Miyavifan 06-01-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jok3r (Post 726683)
I find it very funny when i read how people claim they are native american by ancestory. They are clearly european or african by descent. People should be more honest and stop this fashion crazy mentality. :)

Why do you find it funny?
I very likely am, it just hasn't been verified, only because I don't know how to go about it.

MMM 06-01-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhantom (Post 726697)
I disagree a lot more. Do you know what pain is for the child to go through this? He can't communicate properly till around 4 years old. How would you deal with this... I saw TWO cases of these kinds... and both were my relatives (not siblings). Sometimes they used to cry during night and the doctors explained this phenomena as them being anxious and sad for not achieving what they want communicating

If you want to affect your kids childhood this way then go ahead. I know kids brains are built for soaking that up... but start by teaching 1 language first... wait till he is 3-4 to start teaching the other. It is more effective and gets the same result but it doesn't make him being unable to communicate with his parents.

I literally know dozens of bilingual children (English and Japanese) and none of them have had any mental breakdowns from not being able to communicate what they want.

Define "communicate properly" and show many any 4 year old that does it.

Some of the kids speak English to mom and Japanese to dad (or vice versa) some use a mix of both. The only anguish I have seen is a 6-year-old that shushed his Japanese speaking mom when she spoke Japanese to him at his American kindergarten.

I also saw anguish in a child who was 100% Japanese who spoke no English and moved to the US where he was placed in a 3-year-old level school/daycare. The first few weeks were hell, as the boy didn't speak English and the teachers didn't speak Japanese, but after about three weeks the boy picked up enough English to function in class (and probably surpassed his own mother's English) and he went from crying when going to school to running into the classroom to see his new English-speaking friends.

I wonder if he would have had that much anguish those first few weeks if his parents had spoken English to him when he was younger?

iPhantom 06-01-2009 08:32 PM

Bilingual children at age 2-3? o.O

I'm all against this, if I'm a parent I will talk to my child only using one language and not mix them. It's not only an idea of mine, everybody suggests it this way. I sure do know bilingual kids as much as you, but the problem is HOW they learnt it?

MMM 06-01-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhantom (Post 726713)
Bilingual children at age 2-3? o.O

I'm all against this, if I'm a parent I will talk to my child only using one language and not mix them. It's not only an idea of mine, everybody suggests it this way. I sure do know bilingual kids as much as you, but the problem is HOW they learnt it?

They learned it just like how a child learns anything: repetition + trial and error.

This study shows how children two and even younger can distinguish the differences between English and Japanese words. The brain is an amazing thing.

The linguistic development of a Japanese-English bilingual at age two: a case study

iPhantom 06-01-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 726726)
They learned it just like how a child learns anything: repetition + trial and error.

This study shows how children two and even younger can distinguish the differences between English and Japanese words. The brain is an amazing thing.

The linguistic development of a Japanese-English bilingual at age two: a case study

Tsk tsk... goes back to what I said, don't talk to your kid in two different languages, but only using one. I guess you haven't paid attention to what I said before. I know this from experience.

A cousin of mine lives in Austria and he always talked to his kid using his native language. His kid got used to it properly BUT also got used to German language due to his surroundings and friends. Of course his German wasn't the same as his father's native language. But soon his dad started to teach him German more and talked him more using German. The son was able to distinguish languages really early... and then he went to kindergarten which helped him further getting the accent.

If his father had used both languages to him since the start, the kid wouldn't be able to differentiate them because he would think his father speaks using 1 language, so he would mix them and not be able to communicate.

But his dad used only one language, and his friends used another. This way he was able to distinguish they used different languages... and learn them properly.

MMM 06-01-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhantom (Post 726740)
Tsk tsk... goes back to what I said, don't talk to your kid in two different languages, but only using one. I guess you haven't paid attention to what I said before. I know this from experience.

Tsk tsk...seriously?

Maybe you need to read what I wrote and the study I posted.

There is nothing that says you shouldn't talk to children in two languages. I understand your personal experience on the matter, but I think those are isolated cases and I personally know dozens of cases where bilingual usage is a POSITIVE experience, and more importantly NO cases where it was a negative one. The study shows that children can make those language distinctions at an early age. Yes, children will mix the two languages, but that is usually NOT because they don't know they are speaking one language or the other, but because they don't know the word they are looking for in the other language YET.

Quote:

A cousin of mine lives in Austria and he always talked to his kid using his native language. His kid got used to it properly BUT also got used to German language due to his surroundings and friends. Of course his German wasn't the same as his father's native language. But soon his dad started to teach him German more and talked him more using German. The son was able to distinguish languages really early... and then he went to kindergarten which helped him further getting the accent.

If his father had used both languages to him since the start, the kid wouldn't be able to differentiate them because he would think his father speaks using 1 language, so he would mix them and not be able to communicate.

No. There is nothing to support the idea that a child will not be able to differentiate the two languages when the time is needed (entering school)

Considerind the number of children raised in bilingual homes over the last generation or two, shouldn't there be a growing number of "language handicaps" in society today? No, there aren't. What I do see more of is adult children of bilingual parents who wished they had used both languages when they were younger, so they would be bilingual today. This is especially true of Asian wives who move to America with husbands who don't speak the Asian tongue.
Quote:

But his dad used only one language, and his friends used another. This way he was able to distinguish they used different languages... and learn them properly.

Again with "proper". You didn't answer me the first time about "proper communication" from a four-year-old.

You are making the conclusion that if a child is exposed to two languages when they are "too young" they will never be able to distinguish the two. There is no evidence to support that, and I would say the opposite is true. The sooner you start exposing children to multiple languages the sooner they will become bilingual.

iPhantom 06-01-2009 10:37 PM

[quote=MMM;726755]Tsk tsk...seriously?

Maybe you need to read what I wrote and the study I posted.

There is nothing that says you shouldn't talk to children in two languages. I understand your personal experience on the matter, but I think those are isolated cases and I personally know dozens of cases where bilingual usage is a POSITIVE experience, and more importantly NO cases where it was a negative one. The study shows that children can make those language distinctions at an early age. Yes, children will mix the two languages, but that is usually NOT because they don't know they are speaking one language or the other, but because they don't know the word they are looking for in the other language YET.
[quote]

I did, and one parent used 1 language only. They can distinguish when two different persons talk 2 different languages, but not when only 1 parent talks 2 languages.

Quote:

No. There is nothing to support the idea that a child will not be able to differentiate the two languages when the time is needed (entering school)

Considerind the number of children raised in bilingual homes over the last generation or two, shouldn't there be a growing number of "language handicaps" in society today? No, there aren't. What I do see more of is adult children of bilingual parents who wished they had used both languages when they were younger, so they would be bilingual today. This is especially true of Asian wives who move to America with husbands who don't speak the Asian tongue.
I did not say people grow up and can't talk. What are you talking about? I said that at an early age (2-3 years old) using the method of talking 2 different languages will have its problems on the kid (not being able to say what he wants most of the time)... and results in the kid being anxious.

Quote:

Again with "proper". You didn't answer me the first time about "proper communication" from a four-year-old.

You are making the conclusion that if a child is exposed to two languages when they are "too young" they will never be able to distinguish the two. There is no evidence to support that, and I would say the opposite is true. The sooner you start exposing children to multiple languages the sooner they will become bilingual.
Oh really? I don't recall ever saying that.

My first post here said 'a cousin of mine started doing the same and he had trouble learning which was this or that language.' Had trouble, but he managed to learn it later. I'm just saying how to avoid the trouble.

And in another post I said 'If you want to affect your kids childhood this way then go ahead.' Never said he will grow up being unable to talk. They will learn it eventually but have to go through more trouble.

And I repeat, I've been talking if ONE parent speaks 2 different languages to his kid, not if 2 parents speak 2 different languages. If 1 persons speaks only 1 language to the kid then it is more than fine. There are many parents who do this and kids mess up. He uses two different names for a toy and is unable to distinguish which is this language or that. Your case study is different, one parent - one language... the kid can distinguish things in that case. I hope I made myself clear.

Kimitarusan 06-01-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsuruneru (Post 679234)
Hello well I'm not living in japan right now but I'm black and Japanese if that counts?

ive never seen THAT before... but, hey, who am i to talk?
my dad is german and my mom is japanese

MMM 06-01-2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhantom (Post 726824)

I did, and one parent used 1 language only. They can distinguish when two different persons talk 2 different languages, but not when only 1 parent talks 2 languages.

Did you read it?

"Another factor leading to Yuki’s dominancein Japanese is the home environment, where her parents do not strictly follow the one-person-one language strategy. In addition, Yuki’s English-speaking father understands Japanese and oftenresponds positively to her Japanese utterances, which further reduces her motivation to use English. (Although the issue of comprehension has not been addressed here in a systematic way,subjective observation indicates that Yuki is able to understand a great deal of her father’s English.In this case, she may be on her way to becoming a passive bilingual)."

"Yuki’s dominance in Japanese, however, does not preclude her from recognizing the differencebetween the two languages in her environment. Although Yuki has not clearly demonstrated anability to choose languages based on the situational context (i.e., who she is speaking to) at thispoint in her development, this is probably due to a lack of a clearly monolingual English speakeramong her interlocutors. Through her attitudes toward her non-dominant language, however, Yuki has demonstrated an emerging bilingual awareness."

Quote:

I did not say people grow up and can't talk. What are you talking about? I said that at an early age (2-3 years old) using the method of talking 2 different languages will have its problems on the kid (not being able to say what he wants most of the time)... and results in the kid being anxious.

This conclusion baffles me. Why would being able to communicate in TWO languages limit a childs ability to communicate? Indeed, it means talking with a single-language grandparent may be limited, but with the bilingual parents there will be no problem, and 95% of the communication a child this age does is with the parents.
Quote:

Oh really? I don't recall ever saying that.

Quote:

He can't communicate properly till around 4 years old.

Quote:

My first post here said 'a cousin of mine started doing the same and he had trouble learning which was this or that language.' Had trouble, but he managed to learn it later. I'm just saying how to avoid the trouble.

And in another post I said 'If you want to affect your kids childhood this way then go ahead.' Never said he will grow up being unable to talk. They will learn it eventually but have to go through more trouble.

And I repeat, I've been talking if ONE parent speaks 2 different languages to his kid, not if 2 parents speak 2 different languages. If 1 persons speaks only 1 language to the kid then it is more than fine. There are many parents who do this and kids mess up. He uses two different names for a toy and is unable to distinguish which is this language or that. Your case study is different, one parent - one language... the kid can distinguish things in that case. I hope I made myself clear.

Did you read the case study? See my highlighted quotes above.

iPhantom 06-01-2009 11:34 PM

My bad. Well, the conclusion there says differently:

'Yuki’s experience demonstrates that a child growing up with an English-speaking father and a
Japanese-speaking
mother in the mostly monolingual environment of Japan is likely to be dominant
in Japanese at the age of two, especially when the child attends a Japanese daycare center full time.'

Anyways, it says he responds to Yuki only when she speaks Japanese.

Quite different from my scenario. Some parents tend to speak 50/50, 2 different languages. There is no way for a child to differentiate this.

By my experience, parents of my little cousin talked sometimes in Greek and sometimes in Albanian language. To each other they talked in Albanian. Outside they talked Greek. The child became totally confused.

My Austrian cousin learnt it my way. He is 5 now and can speak both languages perfectly, and has even an Austrian accent.

Mine is not simply a personal experience, it is a case study on itself... my Greek cousin didn't have dyslexia and the doctors explained it that the parents job on teaching language had screwed and made him anxious on not being able to tell what he wants.

ozkai 06-02-2009 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhantom (Post 726697)

Little Kai is now pouring it out:)

Yes, he is now 2 years and 2 months, and he now distinguishes between Mummy and Daddy when he says things.

Some examples.

Yummy - Oishi

Ouch - Itai

Hello - Konnichiwa

Ne, he says after everything be it Japanese or English.

What you are saying I have never seen it.

I have many friends where I am in Japanese/Australian marriages, all have many children, and I don't see any problems.

The problems you experienced with these children crying could have been something totally different as it just does not sound right.

iPhantom 06-02-2009 12:14 AM

You talk to your kid using both languages? I mean you, not your wife.

ozkai 06-02-2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhantom (Post 726962)
You talk to your kid using both languages? I mean you, not your wife.

Yes. and So does my wife, friends and family.

He loves it and giggles all the way:)

Nyororin 06-02-2009 12:42 AM

Whoa whoa - I hate to miss out on this one!!!!
Finally a time has come where I can actually flaunt the 3 year extensive study and all that time I spent studying Japanese - English acquisition in children!

Without some sort of box for the child to categorize a language into, they will be totally mixed. In general, this "box" comes from the language being used by different individuals. If those around the child are using both languages, then the child will parse the two languages as one. Much in the same way you can learn different words for the same object, and different ways of saying the same thing. The box may be there from day one or be acquired later.
But in most cases there is something for the child to base their distinction upon from the beginning. For example, one parent speaks one language to them while the other speaks another language. Or one language is spoken by family while another is spoken by non-family... Or one language is spoken inside the home with another spoken outside the home.
Even with a strongly set pattern, children will naturally pick up one of the languages more quickly than the other. It`s a matter of the level of exposure. In general, picking up the mother`s language first is the rule as the child usually spends the most time with the mother during the first few years.

There is nothing that presents an advantage to learning a second language after a certain age. It`s the set pattern that counts. Even if you wait until a child is 3 or 4 to begin the second language, if you cannot set and maintain a pattern for the exposure it will be no different than if you hadn`t set a pattern at birth. The only difference is that it will not be as visible, as the child will always have what they know in the first language to fall back upon.

As it is the pattern that counts, my son is monolingual Japanese. My husband does not speak English and we live in Japan, so all the tried and true patterns would not work for us - I am not going to lock my husband out of any communication so decided to ditch English. If we`d lived in the US the situation would be different as it would Japanese in the home, English outside.

The case of the child ending up monolingual Japanese is a very very easy one to explain - most time spent with Japanese speaking mother from birth. Limited exposure to English, with the more proficient language still being usable during the encounters with English. Language limited to Japanese outside the home... That puts maybe 5% of language exposure in English.
Not a whole lot to work with and not a whole lot of incentive to learn it.

ozkai 06-02-2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 726986)
The case of the child ending up monolingual Japanese is a very very easy one to explain - most time spent with Japanese speaking mother from birth. Limited exposure to English, with the more proficient language still being usable during the encounters with English. Language limited to Japanese outside the home... That puts maybe 5% of language exposure in English.
Not a whole lot to work with and not a whole lot of incentive to learn it.

In my case, I would say my son has spent more time with me, and I am a thorough communicator and love to talk.

English definitely came first for our son, although possibly that also had something to do with being smothered by English communication, with very limited Japanese, except from his Mother during the earlier stages.

As far as percentage goes, or even thinking about it, we have not, and it certainly is working naturally, at least for our son.

Infact, his talking now is unstoppable and he is loving it.

Like I said, he is distinguishing between the two languages between his Mum and I, and doing a mighty fine job of it.

I also know plenty of mixed Japanese kids in my location, and outside is English, that is the majority of the time, and no doubt home with Mum is some Japanese, although English still comes into the communication.

I think where you live could have a bearing on what language is mainly used.

I think the best part our of all this, is having children that are able to speak two languages:)

Megabyte117 06-02-2009 04:23 AM

Eh, having grown up in a bilingual household, I can safely say that I was never negatively affected. Apparently I simply did not begin speaking until several months after the norm, but the advantage of being familiar with two languages certainly outweighs that.

ozkai 06-02-2009 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megabyte117 (Post 727092)
Eh, having grown up in a bilingual household, I can safely say that I was never negatively affected. Apparently I simply did not begin speaking until several months after the norm, but the advantage of being familiar with two languages certainly outweighs that.

For sure..

I think it's great.. Imagine how many wish to learn Japanese or another language later on. The expense and difficulties.

Children's have minds like hard drives. The information just stays.

A child like yourself is definitely envied by me with dual knowledge of two languages.

Oh yes, and all children do different things at different times.

I used to worry that my son would never walk. The first day he stood up and took two steps qualified to my best days of my life list:)

MMM 06-02-2009 05:15 AM

I am thinking the "anxiety" experienced is more by the parents or more likely grandparents who see their child or grandchild as "slower than average" when they are simply processing (and cementing) a larger amount of information that in the "end" (say at kindergarten or 1st grade) establishes them a BETTER communicators than their peers because they can do it in two languages...

and beyond simply two languages, but two mind sets. One of the biggest hurdles of Japanese language study, for English speakers, is being able to erase what you know about how language communication works, so a certain degree, and allow your brain to accept systems that seem illogical. (i.e. present and future as same verb tense). If your mind is exposed to two (or more) communication tracks at youth, imagine how open your brain might be for other things in the future.

Nyororin 06-02-2009 06:56 AM

In tests of children acquiring both languages, they acquire both at about 70% the speed of a child acquiring a single language. So when it comes to speech and comprehension they do appear behind - but have actually acquired 40% more than the monolingual child. It`s just split between two different languages.

After around 75% of both languages is cemented, generally one of the languages takes the forefront and will remain the dominant and preferred language throughout the child`s life. There are very few truly 50/50 bilinguals out there - one language is almost always a bit better than the other.

For us, 30% more time to start talking for my son would have been unthinkable. It already took him 4 years to say his first word... *sigh*

Tenchu 06-02-2009 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 727111)
and allow your brain to accept systems that seem illogical.

LOL.

I went to Pizza Company for lunch today... I asked for "pork lasagne"... she replies "lasagne pork?"... I reply "pork lasagne"... confused, she asks back "lasagne pork?"... *My face drops to my hands*

5 minutes latter... I'm served "lasagne pork" with a desert spoon to eat with... right...

My wife is having trouble bearing a kid (miscarriages). It's a heartbreak. I'm going to adopt a Thai girl I think. I wont be teaching any Thai until after English is mastered. I don't want my own children ordering "lasagne pork" and eating main dishes with desert spoons.

Nyororin, does your child have any problems with speech? I mean, in Thailand, there are few people who can say a word like "ice", they cannot say the "s" sound when it is at the end of the word. So it sounds like they are saying "eye" instead. I am sure Japanese have similar hickups with English, does your son have any problems with speech that the Japanese also have, or is he learning both languages in correct pronunciation?

Nyororin 06-02-2009 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 727179)
Nyororin, does your child have any problems with speech? I mean, in Thailand, there are few people who can say a word like "ice", they cannot say the "s" sound when it is at the end of the word. So it sounds like they are saying "eye" instead. I am sure Japanese have similar hickups with English, does your son have any problems with speech that the Japanese also have, or is he learning both languages in correct pronunciation?

He is monolingual. He is also missing around 35% of his brain.

I think that answers the question...

Tenchu 06-02-2009 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 727183)
He is monolingual. He is also missing around 35% of his brain.

I think that answers the question...

He's had bad luck.

I'll sock God one for him when I see him.

Jok3r 06-04-2009 02:04 PM

do we have any mutts on this forum?

ozkai 06-04-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 727165)
In tests of children acquiring both languages, they acquire both at about 70% the speed of a child acquiring a single language. So when it comes to speech and comprehension they do appear behind - but have actually acquired 40% more than the monolingual child. It`s just split between two different languages.

After around 75% of both languages is cemented, generally one of the languages takes the forefront and will remain the dominant and preferred language throughout the child`s life. There are very few truly 50/50 bilinguals out there - one language is almost always a bit better than the other.

For us, 30% more time to start talking for my son would have been unthinkable. It already took him 4 years to say his first word... *sigh*

That's some interesting information.

Funnily enough, all my friends with kids similar age to my son are amazed how much he does actually speak. He seems to have picked up a lot of vocabulary fast, but I do think English is dominant with him so far. I guess that could also have something to do with him living in an English speaking country.

Are you saying your son started to speak when he was four years old?

Nyororin 06-04-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozkai (Post 728810)
That's some interesting information.

Funnily enough, all my friends with kids similar age to my son are amazed how much he does actually speak. He seems to have picked up a lot of vocabulary fast, but I do think English is dominant with him so far. I guess that could also have something to do with him living in an English speaking country.

Are you saying your son started to speak when he was four years old?

I am quite sure that your son`s dominant language will end up being English if you continue living in an English speaking country - as soon as he begins to spend more time outside of the home and away from Japanese speakers, peer influence will overtake home influence.

And yes, that is what I meant... My son didn`t speak his first word until he was 4.

ozkai 06-04-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 728819)

And yes, that is what I meant... My son didn`t speak his first word until he was 4.

Very cute.. I think I may have wished for the same as Kai is driving me nuts!

I feel like I'm listening to a broken record player!

Nyororin 06-04-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozkai (Post 728821)

I feel like I'm listening to a broken record player!

Please, never say that lightly. You have no idea the gravity of it.
It falls in the same category as saying preemies are so small and cute, and will get nothing but a very cold glare from me.

It`s a lot like saying "Aww, I wish my kid was paralyzed from the waist down too because he drives me crazy running around!" when you spot someone pushing their child with cerebral palsy around in a wheelchair. It`s about as cruel as you can be.

Kayci 06-18-2009 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 728872)
It falls in the same category as saying preemies are so small and cute, and will get nothing but a very cold glare from me.

It`s a lot like saying "Aww, I wish my kid was paralyzed from the waist down too because he drives me crazy running around!" when you spot someone pushing their child with cerebral palsy around in a wheelchair. It`s about as cruel as you can be.

If I may ask without giving offense, how old is he now, and is he healthy and developing steadily today?

seiki 06-18-2009 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jok3r (Post 728808)
do we have any mutts on this forum?

definitly me lol. i think that every one is a mix of somthing i don't see how you could necessarily be one complete race especially with out having any caucasian in you since there was definitly children born from major european imperialism. as well as it dose appear we all originated from 1 of 12 african tribes i believe.

ozkai 06-18-2009 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 728872)

I see it all the time.

I don't have a problem with it and occassionally volunteer my time.

I treat all with disabilities like anyone else, albeit with an extra bit of work.

No doubt the workload becomes very hard and strenuous with your own child, and I understand that.

I appreciate your thought's.

yukilovesjapan 06-19-2009 04:44 PM

Asian American Children

Hey! just wanted to add to this by saying if you like to see part Asian part European kids or are wondering if your kid'll look Asian,i would say they probably will. and i would watch an episode or check out a picture of the Gosselin Children of Jon and Kate plus 8. the are 1/4'th Korean and look very Asian and are extremely adorable.

burkhartdesu 06-19-2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozkai (Post 728821)

:mad:

tact  [takt]
–noun
1.a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; skill in dealing with difficult or delicate situations.

ozkai 06-19-2009 06:01 PM

Couldn't agree more..

So many mixed kids are so cute, although I know a few that don't qualify.

Luckily my son ranks up their with the best:)