JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#61 (permalink))
Old
emiluvsjmusic (Offline)
JF noob

03-05-2009, 09:21 AM

Half, swirl, mongrel, runt... whatever you want to call me..
My dad is Aussie, mum Japanese

Death Note fam & Shingami clan
JF family|Emi's Space|Haruhiism
(#62 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

03-06-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
And where did I call you "runt"?
I didn't think she was trying to accuse you of anything. (?)
(#63 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-10-2009, 06:25 AM

This thread has now been split into two - Race discussion has been moved to a currently closed thread in general discussion.
Race Discussion

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 03-10-2009 at 06:43 AM.
(#64 (permalink))
Old
UsagiSarah (Offline)
New to JF

03-17-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Cuteness is subjective, and not something I can really comment on.

His name is Motoki.

And yes, we live in Japan.

I hate to sound cold, but your post sounds like you want something cute - not a child. Have a baby because you want to have and raise a child, not because you think it would be so cute... Babies are babies and children are children - whether you think they`re cute or not. Be very careful, as I think you`ll find even more cold responses from other parents of mixed race children in Japan as it is REALLY irritating to have no one look at your child as a person - instead seeing them as a display of cuteness and that alone.
uuhm...ok? haha that had nothing to do with it.
(#65 (permalink))
Old
UsagiSarah (Offline)
New to JF

03-17-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Because she is basing the "cuteness" factor on race. Everyone wants cute children, but not everyone goes around talking about how very cute kids must be because they`re of a specific racial background.

Chances are, if you don`t live in Japan, you won`t get the sheer exasperation behind this. In Japan, "half" equals "cute". Which is fine to an extent, I guess, until it starts getting in the way of normal life. ie. People forgive ANYTHING your child does instead of properly responding and scolding because "Aww, they`re so cute! I wish I had a half child!" (Of course, all the while scolding the other kids.) Or... Instead of praising something your kids does, they just respond with "That`s so CUTE!!" and never actually look at anything else...
Or when you go out somewhere, having people stop in their tracks and point while giggling "Look! It`s so cute!!!" and taking pictures without asking you, etc.

Imagine that on a daily basis. My son is no cuter than other children. It`s a RACIAL thing - based only on the fact that he is half something other than Japanese, which is why it bothers me.
excuse me but what i said to you had nothing to do about race, i think all children are cute, and my son or daughter will be half japanese as well, i'm just saying your baby must be a cute baby, i didn't say "your baby must be cute because he is half japanese" i didn't even say anything offensive. I came here looking for people to share their stories as a mixed race couple, not to be snapped at for something so completely opposite for what i was saying.

Last edited by UsagiSarah : 03-17-2009 at 10:01 PM.
(#66 (permalink))
Old
UsagiSarah (Offline)
New to JF

03-17-2009, 10:09 PM

I am requesting this thread to be shut down since everyone has taken things out of context. I did not think i would be treated so rudely here.
(#67 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

04-08-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiSarah View Post
I was wondering if anybody on here are a mixed race couple with children or babies on the way, or are children of mixed races in Japan.

I am a Caucasian woman marrying a Japanese man. We are very excited to start our family soon after marrying. I would like to get to know others who have married other races maybe share some photos of children!

I always enjoy seeing mixed race families where i work it makes me excited about my future family!
Hi Usagi.

SURE

Cheeky monkey Kai Daniel

(#68 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

Smile 04-08-2009, 02:45 PM

And a few more

(#69 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-12-2009, 03:43 PM

Aww, I just had to comment, your child is absolutely adorable Ozkai You must be really proud. He's one of the cutest kids I've seen.

I was curious - though it may be a little off-topic - but do mixed-raced children face any challenges growing up or as adults in Japan? I wondered if there was any discrimination at all or if they were accepted as normally as one would expect.
(#70 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-12-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I was curious - though it may be a little off-topic - but do mixed-raced children face any challenges growing up or as adults in Japan? I wondered if there was any discrimination at all or if they were accepted as normally as one would expect.
Based on my childhood: no, not really (though my memory is a bit fuzzy here)

Based on my recent trips to Japan: not at all (I think a lot of half-bloods have the chameleon gene where they're able to pass as whatever they speak =P)

My challenges regarding race were all in Australia.