JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Parenting in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/parenting-japan/)
-   -   Mixed race children. (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/parenting-japan/23448-mixed-race-children.html)

komitsuki 05-29-2009 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keichichan (Post 703319)
Here in the United States it's very difficult for mixed children. Especially if a white marries an african american. But I've said before that people here in the U.S lack compassion and manners.

Go to Canada, a reasonable alternative.

MMM 05-29-2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhantom (Post 721015)
He is mixing them together, not talking separately. a cousin of mine started doing the same and he had trouble learning which was this or that language. Where do you live, Japan? If yes, it is best to talk to him only English, even outside with Japanese people or his friends.

He can learn Japanese via friends.

this is the best way, trust me.

I couldn't disagree more. Yes, it will sound like a mix of two languages when they are 3 and 4 and even 5, but by first grade they will know the difference between Japanese and English. Kids brains are built for soaking up languages, and if you can expose him to three or four languages that is better.

I have a friend with a bilingual 6-year-old son they are now sending to French American school to give him exposure to French.

MMM 05-29-2009 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by komitsuki (Post 724070)
Go to Canada, a reasonable alternative.

No need to go that far. Come to Portland.

ozkai 05-29-2009 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 724081)
No need to go that far. Come to Portland.

Totally agree, or Queensland:)

BakaLolita 05-29-2009 04:13 AM

I'm caucasian, African American, Spanish, and German.

Jok3r 06-01-2009 07:38 PM

I find it very funny when i read how people claim they are native american by ancestory. They are clearly european or african by descent. People should be more honest and stop this fashion crazy mentality. :)

iPhantom 06-01-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 724079)
I couldn't disagree more. Yes, it will sound like a mix of two languages when they are 3 and 4 and even 5, but by first grade they will know the difference between Japanese and English. Kids brains are built for soaking up languages, and if you can expose him to three or four languages that is better.

I have a friend with a bilingual 6-year-old son they are now sending to French American school to give him exposure to French.

I disagree a lot more. Do you know what pain is for the child to go through this? He can't communicate properly till around 4 years old. How would you deal with this... I saw TWO cases of these kinds... and both were my relatives (not siblings). Sometimes they used to cry during night and the doctors explained this phenomena as them being anxious and sad for not achieving what they want communicating

If you want to affect your kids childhood this way then go ahead. I know kids brains are built for soaking that up... but start by teaching 1 language first... wait till he is 3-4 to start teaching the other. It is more effective and gets the same result but it doesn't make him being unable to communicate with his parents.

Miyavifan 06-01-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jok3r (Post 726683)
I find it very funny when i read how people claim they are native american by ancestory. They are clearly european or african by descent. People should be more honest and stop this fashion crazy mentality. :)

Why do you find it funny?
I very likely am, it just hasn't been verified, only because I don't know how to go about it.

MMM 06-01-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhantom (Post 726697)
I disagree a lot more. Do you know what pain is for the child to go through this? He can't communicate properly till around 4 years old. How would you deal with this... I saw TWO cases of these kinds... and both were my relatives (not siblings). Sometimes they used to cry during night and the doctors explained this phenomena as them being anxious and sad for not achieving what they want communicating

If you want to affect your kids childhood this way then go ahead. I know kids brains are built for soaking that up... but start by teaching 1 language first... wait till he is 3-4 to start teaching the other. It is more effective and gets the same result but it doesn't make him being unable to communicate with his parents.

I literally know dozens of bilingual children (English and Japanese) and none of them have had any mental breakdowns from not being able to communicate what they want.

Define "communicate properly" and show many any 4 year old that does it.

Some of the kids speak English to mom and Japanese to dad (or vice versa) some use a mix of both. The only anguish I have seen is a 6-year-old that shushed his Japanese speaking mom when she spoke Japanese to him at his American kindergarten.

I also saw anguish in a child who was 100% Japanese who spoke no English and moved to the US where he was placed in a 3-year-old level school/daycare. The first few weeks were hell, as the boy didn't speak English and the teachers didn't speak Japanese, but after about three weeks the boy picked up enough English to function in class (and probably surpassed his own mother's English) and he went from crying when going to school to running into the classroom to see his new English-speaking friends.

I wonder if he would have had that much anguish those first few weeks if his parents had spoken English to him when he was younger?

iPhantom 06-01-2009 08:32 PM

Bilingual children at age 2-3? o.O

I'm all against this, if I'm a parent I will talk to my child only using one language and not mix them. It's not only an idea of mine, everybody suggests it this way. I sure do know bilingual kids as much as you, but the problem is HOW they learnt it?