JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
visitor09 (Offline)
New to JF

Baby stores - 03-03-2009, 09:03 AM

We are heading to Japan and I'm wondering where people shop for baby stuff? I heard there's a Toys R Us, but are there other shops that carry only Japanese baby stuff? I want to look for toys, books, clothes, etc. for my daughter that can only be found in Japan. We'll be staying in Tokyo, Kyoto & Osaka. Thanks!

Also, do you find that many areas are baby friendly? Are there places to change baby's diaper and feed? Are there elevators and ramps for strollers? What should I be aware of when traveling with my baby?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-03-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitor09 View Post
We are heading to Japan and I'm wondering where people shop for baby stuff? I heard there's a Toys R Us, but are there other shops that carry only Japanese baby stuff? I want to look for toys, books, clothes, etc. for my daughter that can only be found in Japan. We'll be staying in Tokyo, Kyoto & Osaka. Thanks!

Also, do you find that many areas are baby friendly? Are there places to change baby's diaper and feed? Are there elevators and ramps for strollers? What should I be aware of when traveling with my baby?
Look for Familiar and Miki House...and be prepared to pay silly expensive prices.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-03-2009, 09:19 AM

Familiar and Miki House are brands - they have a handful of stores, but in the end they`re a brand name.

Look for Hello Akachan, Akachan Honpo, and Nishimatsuya. There are probably a few more I`m forgetting, but those are the major chains.

Quote:
In general, I think that most places are quite baby friendly. There are changing rooms and breastfeeding rooms, etc. There is also nothing against breastfeeding your baby in public.
Elevators are quite common, but I can`t say I`ve seen ramps for strollers. If you are bringing a stroller along it might be a very tight fit into some places, as it seems the standard width of a Japanese stroller is quite a bit less than that of a foreign one.
There are also usually large padded play areas in any decent sized shop... And the baby department in a regular department store will also have a good selection.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

03-28-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthink View Post
You may shop online, there are many good baby stuff in ebay.
Why recommend online shopping to a tourist?