JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-12-2009, 08:34 AM

Nyororin, I misread and thought the children were 4 and 7 now, so would be entering school at 6 and 9. I agree with you that these are OK ages for immersion. I was thinking 9 (4th grade) might be especially frustrating, but 2nd grade is more doable.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Notsomuch (Offline)
New to JF

05-12-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
In general, Japanese schools are very heavy on personal responsibility and working together. This can and often does rub parents from the US in the wrong way though... Emphasis is put on taking responsibility for your own actions, and putting harmony ahead of "being unique". For example, children clean their own classroom and school building from a pretty early age. This seriously cuts down on graffiti and general dirtiness. They learn very quickly that their actions not only come back to effect themselves, but also others. As the cleaning is doled out evenly, they end up thinking about how much it sucks to clean up someone else`s mess. Being punished for defacing something is one thing, but having your peers also be disappointed in you because they had to clean it up is another.
I don't know about other Americans, but I love this. In Montessori school, the children are responsible for their environment. They work together to do the "chores," sweeping, trash, serving themselves snacks/food. This gives the children a sense of pride.

I know you mentioned Graffiti, but don't forget to mention the bathrooms. Our bathrooms are filthy. The kids are not careful, they tear them up, and I would (as an adult) never use a child's bathroom in a public school. But, with the children cleaning the schools, one would probably be more careful where they "aim" or how they behave in the bathroom.

Quote:
At 7 for your oldest, I would put them straight into Japanese school with no qualms at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I agree with you that these are OK ages for immersion.
To this, I am going to say, "Yay, yay, and Yay!" Since we're coming to Japan to learn about Japan, live in Japan, eat in Japan, I would think it'd be better and more appropriate of we put them straight in to the language too. It'll be overwhelming at first, but like you said, she'll get it. By the way, the oldest one who will be 7 (in June), is great with words, languages, and loves culture. She's a "minnie-me" (smaller version of myself).

Quote:
American schools? I understand that they use the exact same curriculum as in the US with the addition of a couple of culture / language classes related to Japan mixed in. They stagger the school year to match that of the US. Also, they cost $$$$$$. If Montessori sounds painful, then I wouldn`t even look at American schools.
Good. I will not look at American schools! No offense to my country, but I want to try for my children a new approach to learning. In my opinion, our system is sort of failing (as least in the Southern America). I'm doing what I can to keep my children out of public schools here.

Thanks.

Last edited by Notsomuch : 05-12-2009 at 11:57 AM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Notsomuch (Offline)
New to JF

05-12-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaionigiri View Post
Montessori school using english / japan for the language?

I'm jelous with ur child katy T.T

I also want to go to school in japan.. But my mom won't allow me due to the language
That makes it hard. Some parents here have plans other than those of the child. Just plan it out well, and you may have to go on your own. Since you're young, you can research and find the best and most practical way for you to go.