JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
svenmueller (Offline)
New to JF

Moving back to Japan with Kids - 02-22-2014, 01:23 PM

Hello,

I would like to hear from people who have experience with the situation I am in.

My wife is Japanese and after living a few years Overseas we decided to return to Japan. My main concern is actually about the fact that we are moving back in early 2015 which will be just a few months prior before our oldest son would have to enter Elementary School. He do speask Japanese but not nearly as a Japanese Child in his age plus he went to Kindergarten in Germany for 3 years, he loves Japan but he is not at all used to the Japanese School System etc.?

My question would be if there are people here who have been in simular situations who can tell me how it went for them.

Thanks a lot
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-26-2014, 12:57 AM

At his age he should be able to pick up Japanese quickly enough, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Much depends on where you will live in Japan, and whT kind of work you do. My wife is Japanese, but she prefers an international school where children are taught primarily in English, and then a day or two each week at a Japanese school so they can keep up with the Japanese language.

The larger cities have more options, in the countryside you will be more or less stuck with a public school.