JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
duceduc (Offline)
New to JF

American having a child in Japan - 01-20-2011, 05:40 AM

I am in need of some advice regarding proper paper work and or proof of documentations. I am an American citizen living in Japan. My wife holds both an American and a Japanese passport. We are expecting our first child this June.

From what I have gathered on the net, our child will have dual citizenship? As far as providing proof of her status to the US embassy, she should show her Japanese passport rather than her usa passport to apply for our child US papers (passport, SS card, birth certificates)? Will the US find out that she is also a US citizen as well?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-20-2011, 07:35 AM

The forms to receive US citizenship for your child are available on the US embassy site. There is also a fairly detailed list of the things you will need, and answers to the most common questions.

Something that they do not seem to make clear is that you will NEED to do the application within 90 days of your child`s birth, or will be charged incredible fees and have a very very difficult time getting citizenship for your child.
If your child is born with complications preventing travel within the first 90 days (I very much hope that this does not happen!), expect to be unable to obtain citizenship. They will not make any exceptions for the "in person" rule, even if the child is in intensive care. (Happened to me, so I caution people on this.)

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
duceduc (Offline)
New to JF

01-20-2011, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have briefly looked at the embassy site. I can provide most of the docs but I am not sure what passport to provide for my wife since she has both. I understand Japan doesn't allow dual status. She happened to have both because our intention was to lived in USA. However, she decided not to and we have moved here.

One of the doc requirements is to show proof of us citizenship. It listed several items like passport, naturalized paper, citizenship certificate, birth certificate. Am I require to show all of then or just one? It wasn't clear to me. I ask because I may have misplaced my naturalized paper and I only have my passport.

My best guess is to show our USA passports to the embassy to do our USA citizenship for the baby and our Japanese citizenship for the baby with her Japanese status?

Last edited by duceduc : 01-20-2011 at 03:26 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
milomana (Offline)
New to JF

01-21-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
you will NEED to do the application within 90 days of your child`s birth, or will be charged incredible fees and have a very very difficult time getting citizenship for your child.
Seriously? My baby is about to be born and I'm glad I read this. Thanks for the info!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-21-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomana View Post
Seriously? My baby is about to be born and I'm glad I read this. Thanks for the info!
This was my experience when my son was born 6 years ago.
I probably would never have known had he not been in the hospital for 5 months after birth.
When I contacted the embassy, I was told that there was no way to receive citizenship without his physical presence (understandable), and that if I couldn`t get him there in the next 3 months then I would be out of luck. It was suggested that I consult with the hospital to take him to a distant city with full medical support staff.

After discharge, we contacted the embassy again and were quoted some incredible additional fees. And it isn`t like it is cheap to begin with! (Something like $500? I recall the additional fees being something like $800 and another $500 or close for processing...) We were also told that they could only begin the processing if we were able to present proof of the reason we couldn`t bring my son to the embassy earlier - and a witness to the birth and my son`s later care. (So... a doctor from the birth, and a doctor from intensive care - plus a verified translator, and records of the doctors` authenticity.)

None of this was feasible, so my son does not have US citizenship.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
koolawant (Offline)
New to JF

question - 02-06-2011, 03:32 PM

so wait, your child is not a US citizen. Ok, well if I got married and my spouse is japanese but I'm american can I instead get my child a japanese citizenship instead of american?

BTW how's your son now? Is he doing ok? And how are you?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

02-06-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
None of this was feasible, so my son does not have US citizenship.
Personally I think your son is better off without it. But that's just me.

I wonder how you feel about the situation?

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned

02-06-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
Personally I think your son is better off without it. But that's just me.

I wonder how you feel about the situation?
Dude, having a US passport is great if you also have one of a first world country like Germany or France. The US is very powerful, nobody wants to mess with a dude with an American passport when he's abroad.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-06-2011, 05:38 PM

Post Deleted.

Last edited by RobinMask : 01-07-2018 at 11:36 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-06-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Yes, I can just see police and criminals alike . . . 'no, don't go near him!', "Why?", 'why? Because . . . he has an American passport!'
Exactly~ When I travelled around Asia, I saw people getting hassled precisely BECAUSE they had American passports.