JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
koolawant (Offline)
New to JF

Adopting an asian child - 02-06-2011, 04:01 PM

Hi! Well, in the future I plan on adopting a child form china (because of the whole population problem) when I move and become settled in Japan and I wanted to know a few questions.

1. will this child be bullied?
2. Will the japanese be able to tell he/she is chinese?
3. On average in Japan how much does it cost to raise a child per year
4. Since I'll be a foreigner with most likely a PR can I still adopt? And what nationality would it be?

Thank you and please answer the questions to the best of your ability

Last edited by koolawant : 02-06-2011 at 04:46 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned

02-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Do you even live in Japan now?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
koolawant (Offline)
New to JF

reply - 02-06-2011, 04:45 PM

Nope, or at least not yet. This is just for future reference. I want to make sure I'm not biting off more than I can chew and I really like to research about things before doing it
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-06-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolawant View Post
Hi! Well, in the future I plan on adopting a child form china (because of the whole population problem) when I move and become settled in Japan and I wanted to know a few questions.

4. Since I'll be a foreigner with most likely a PR can I still adopt? And what nationality would it be?

Unless things have changed I think you have to be at least thirty and married in order to adopt a Chinese child, although I've never been involved personally in the process and so could be wrong. If there is an age-limit then you might find things more complicated, as if you move to Japan young then you'll already be settled in the country by the time you adopt this child.

I'll take 1) and 2) together. If the child is Chinese by birth then he/she will look like any Japanese person, and if you are raising this child then the child will surely learn your native tongue, and/or Japanese (depending on how long the child lives there). I think the child might be able to pass as Japanese, if there from early childhood, or at the very least will just be considered like any other foriegner. I imagine, in that respect, issues towards bullying would be the same as they would in any other circumstance with any child in any culture.

I can't answer 3) or the first of 4), but with the second half of 4) I can say I'm fairly certain that any child you adopt will be given your nationality, as by law any child by adoption is treated/considered the same as a biological child and given the same rights as one. So if you're American, then the child will be American too.

Edit: What are your reasons for adopting a child, and specifically why China (aside from the sentence you gave)? Also - may I ask - how old you are currently?

Last edited by RobinMask : 02-06-2011 at 05:48 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
koolawant (Offline)
New to JF

reply - 02-06-2011, 06:33 PM

sorry, but I'm uncomfortable giving out personal information over the internet but I heard about how there's a limit to how many kids you can have in china and some other things I can't remember and I was like that sucks. And I would like to give a child another chance because my aunt just adopted a child and I was amazed of how the child went from terrible conditions, to very nice ones hope that answers your question. But don't get me wrong, I'll adopt other children from other nationalities but I just heard more information on china
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-06-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
sorry, but I'm uncomfortable giving out personal information over the internet but I heard about how there's a limit to how many kids you can have in china and some other things I can't remember and I was like that sucks. And I would like to give a child another chance because my aunt just adopted a child and I was amazed of how the child went from terrible conditions, to very nice ones hope that answers your question. But don't get me wrong, I'll adopt other children from other nationalities but I just heard more information on china
You could always look into adopting a Japanese child; the majority of them stay in the care system as adoption rates are very low in Japan. That would solve two of the concerns, although I don't know if they allow adoption of a Japanese nationals to non-Japanese citizens.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-06-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I don't think age in the personal kind of information one should be uncomfortable in giving, but I respect your belief.

As far as I know, China has the one child rule and if you do decide to have another, I've heard that second child wouldn't have medical privileges available to it.

Anyways, for an American to adopt, the norm is to be married and pretty well off financially. I'm pretty sure there is an age limit of 40 and I'm sure there's a minimum as well. It can add up into the tens of thousands of dollars ($30,000-$40,000) not being unusual after all the paperwork and the trips to China for interviews and evaluations. It is not a cheap endeavor by no means.

It's noble to think one can adopt a child and provide them with a quality of life that is better than what they may have. But one also has to think about the child and the cultural needs it may require and want in the future.

These are just a few observations and shouldn't be held as definite fact.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
koolawant (Offline)
New to JF

ok - 02-06-2011, 07:12 PM

oh! ok thank you very much for the kind words and information! I'll make sure to research more in the future when the time comes and make sure I have enough money to afford it in the first place
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-06-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:

I don't understand how adopting a child helps alleviate the "population problem". Can you expand on this?

As I understand it, in recent years as China's economy expands it is getting harder and harder to adopt healthy Chinese babies.

You say "I" instead of "we" so I see another hurdle in your way. Do you plan on being married when you begin the adoption process? Is there a health reason why you want to adopt rather than have your own children?

To take a stab at your questions:

1) There is no rhyme or reason to hazing, so it is impossible to say whether or not she would be hazed. In one school she might, and in another no problem. In one class she might, but not in the classroom next door.

2) If she adopted as a baby and raised by native Japanese speakers and is given a Japanese name, she MIGHT be able to pass as ethnic Japanese.

3) No idea.

4) What is a "PR"? If you are adopting in the US, then "it" will be an American citizen. I am not sure if you can adopt into Japan. There isn't a culture of adoption in Japan like there is in the US. I don't know if they even have adoption agencies placing foreign children.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

02-24-2011, 03:02 PM

Koolawant,

You should start by educating yourself about adoption. Pardon me if this seem rude but you seem fairly ignorant on the matter.

If you do decide to adopt from China, and you meet their ever increasing requirements, then you can expect a SIX YEAR WAIT. China is no longer the quick fix for adoption. There is a high demand for adopting Chinese girls not only in western countries like the US but in China itself. Adoption is very quickly loosing the stigma it once had within China and their own people are seeking kids. The Chinese government will always give preference to a Chinese family than any foreign one, as they should...

There are lots of other countries to consider though. In the end my wife and I decided to go the domestic adoption route in the United States. The cost of adoption in the US has become much more reasonable due to all of the tax credits the government gives out. The wait can be long but on average it is much less of a wait than if we had gone the Chinese adoption route.