JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Eomer (Offline)
前途洋洋

09-04-2011, 08:20 AM

I have 2 daughters aged 1 and 3 years. I was pretty worried about how my kids might be treated at school, but after seeing them at Hoikuen my fears have been quelled quite a bit. They will get comments from some people, but it's not nothing that can't be shaken off.

Can I ask if your kids attended the Hoikuen or Youchien in the town you were living or did they go straight to school?

I agree with the comments about a new area though, small towns are likely to be less used to foreigners so it might be a lot easier in a 都会 area. If you aren't averse to living in a city.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Clanky2011 (Offline)
New to JF

Unhappy 09-07-2011, 05:27 PM

My children both attended the Hoikuen. They never had any problems there. I was always the centre of attention! I did give English classes there once a week and so the kids all knew me relly well.

I have to say that the salary and lifestyle I had in Japan was far better than the one I have here. We struggle for money even though I'm working ridiculous shifts. The cost of living here in the UK seems to be spiralling out of control at the moment. I also have age against me with regards to pension contributions.

All things considered I am more than happy to return to my original town, but my wife is quite insistent that she doesn't want us to go back. She feels my 10 year old daughter would suffer far worse going back with weakened language skills and being more outwardly foreign. I still think that this could be overcome with time myself though...