LinkBack Thread Tools
(#111 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-30-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barone1551 View Post
Thats what I am trying to say though. There doesn't always have to be some underlying reason. People can just like what they like, for no apparent reason. I have never heard someone say there has to be an underlying reason why you think someone is attractive, beyond the simple fact you think they are attractive. Like we have been saying you cant always put your finger on it. And I can think of situations where people are really good friends, they have lots in common, but they aren't attracted to this person. They know this person for real, know how they really are and act. But they can still be unattractive to this person based on physical appearance. These situations have nothing to do with stereotyping based on looks. And this is just an example this can widely be used. And along the lines of people saying they like a certain race based on looks, I have also heard people say they aren't particularly fond of the way a race looks or say in general they aren't attracted to, lets say Asians. They don't always know the race to base a stereotype off of. They don't know any, they just aren't attracted to this person.

again it is unfair to say asians as a whole because it does imply you like every single one. Im just using it becuase it is a common way of saying it.

And I still stand by this in saying, that just becuase you don't find someone attractive it cannot be labeled as racism.
There is always a reason. Physical attraction is a psychological thing. Even if it's as simple as "society conditioned me to think that blonde hair and blue eyes are beautiful," there will ALWAYS be a reason. Then, you can start to think and analyze WHY society would want someone to think that blonde hair and blue eyes are beautiful. You don't hear about it often because people don't usually think about these things, and don't LIKE to think about these things because they delve deeper into the subconscious. Why do you think no one has answered my question, "Why do you like Asians?" No one will answer because they don't want to think about it.

It's the same with finding certain people unattractive. I can think of an example of this right now. I have a friend that thinks ALL white men are ugly. She would NEVER be attracted to a white man. When asked why, she said that she believes white men aren't good at sex. It's a stereotype.

I can think of a reason why some people aren't attracted to Asians, based on what I've heard people say. People have said that Asian men have small - well, you know - and because of that, they wouldn't want to have sex with Asian men. I've heard people say that Asian women don't have big enough breasts, and so they aren't attracted to Asian women. These are stereotypes also. But, hey, let's think about it even further: why would these people want bigger penises and bigger breasts? I think one reason is because society has taught us that men are more masculine if they have bigger penises, and women are more feminine if they have bigger breasts. Perhaps those people are looking for masculine men and feminine women.

I'm not going to get into the argument of whether saying one race is ugly is racist or not.

LOVE: pass it on
(#112 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-30-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
It IS human nature to stereotype. Humans like to stereotype because it's easier to understand different groups of people or things that way. We don't like what we don't understand, so many of us will stereotype until told that it's wrong.

EDIT: Also, you commented earlier that "it's interesting" that I haven't responded to any of MMM's comments, or something like that. I've made a personal decision not to respond to MMM while in the middle of any of these types of discussions, because I happen to think that MMM is rude. If you'd like for me to respond to anything in particular, feel free to reiterate a point in your own words, and I'd gladly continue a discussion with you.

It's not wrong to stereotype (in the general sense) -- because it IS human nature after all.

You should know this more than anyone, considering you're a lesbian. People stereotype gay people all the time, but gayness, as well as racial-attraction, are simply primitive, subconscious, psychological tools.

Personally I think MMM is being rather cordial, all things considered. Just because he nullified your argument doesn't mean he was being "rude"
(#113 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-30-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
It's not wrong to stereotype (in the general sense) -- because it IS human nature after all.

You should know this more than anyone, considering you're a lesbian. People stereotype gay people all the time, but gayness, as well as racial-attraction, are simply primitive, subconscious, psychological tools.

Personally I think MMM is being rather cordial, all things considered. Just because he nullified your argument doesn't mean he was being "rude"
Racism is also human nature. To oppress others is also human nature. Stereotyping stems from both. When used negatively, such as in this instance, stereotyping is wrong. And honestly, I can't think of an instance when it's a positive thing to stereotype one person.

I'm not a lesbian, I'm bisexual - but I guess that doesn't matter. I'm interested - can you elaborate on what you mean when you say "simply primitive, subconscious, psychological tools"?

I have no idea if MMM is being cordial or not right now. Because of a previous incident (which is where I got the opinion that he can be pretty rude at times), I'd decided that I wouldn't read anymore of his posts when I'm in the middle of a discussion like this one. It's just to prevent an argument.

(#114 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-30-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
No one will answer because they don't want to think about it.
I answered it. It is your choice not to respond to my comments, but don't say I didn't address it.
(#115 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-30-2009, 08:26 PM

I don't think racism is human nature. If that were so interracial adoptions would never work because the baby would have racist feelings against her parents and vice versa. Racism is something that is taught.

I think stereotyping is in human nature as it simplifies complicated problems, and this has been passed along through evolution. I am antelope and I see a cheetah eat my mother. The next time I see a cheetah, I am going to run. That's not racism, that's survival. I think this does apply to the human world, and can have positive, neutral and negative results.
(#116 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-30-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I answered it. It is your choice not to respond to my comments, but don't say I didn't address it.
Okay, I have a quick question for you - sorry, it doesn't actually have anything to do with the thread topic, but I hope you don't mind: WHY in the world are you still trying to talk to me? I've made it obvious that I don't want anything to do with you, yet it seems like you really are literally following me around this forum.

I want anyone but you, MMM, to answer my question - anyone but you because, as I've said before, I don't want to talk to you. I'll politely ask that you stop addressing me in discussions. As I'm ignoring you, please ignore me.

(#117 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-30-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I don't think racism is human nature. If that were so interracial adoptions would never work because the baby would have racist feelings against her parents and vice versa. Racism is something that is taught.

I think stereotyping is in human nature as it simplifies complicated problems, and this has been passed along through evolution. I am antelope and I see a cheetah eat my mother. The next time I see a cheetah, I am going to run. That's not racism, that's survival. I think this does apply to the human world, and can have positive, neutral and negative results.
I agree, it is taught. How else would someone use something as insignificant as skin color to judge anyone?
Oh, and I think you have used an amazing amount of restraint on your comments with mercedesjin. If you aren't with her, you are against her.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#118 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-30-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Okay, I have a quick question for you - sorry, it doesn't actually have anything to do with the thread topic, but I hope you don't mind: WHY in the world are you still trying to talk to me? I've made it obvious that I don't want anything to do with you, yet it seems like you really are literally following me around this forum.

I want anyone but you, MMM, to answer my question - anyone but you because, as I've said before, I don't want to talk to you. I'll politely ask that you stop addressing me in discussions. As I'm ignoring you, please ignore me.
I am not following you around, mercedesjin (that's the second time you have accused me of that), I am participating in the discussion.

I am not interested in games, so if you want to play silent treatment, that is your choice. I am going to continue to participate in the discussion. I do not know what I did to make you so angry besides disagree with the equal passion you disagreed with me. I apologize to the rest of the board that this silly squabble has gone on for so long.
(#119 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-30-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:

I'd answer you but your question isn't to me. Quit posting things about his posts ad I'm sure he'll quit posting to clarify his position.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#120 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-30-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
I agree, it is taught. How else would someone use something as insignificant as skin color to judge anyone?
Oh, and I think you have used an amazing amount of restraint on your comments with mercedesjin. If you aren't with her, you are against her.
Thank you, bELyVIS. I think when we talk about human nature vs. learned behavior the easiest measuring stick is looking at babies and the very young. Do babies react in fear, hatred or horror when someone of another race gives them a bottle? Not in my experience. If so, every non-white nanny or au pair who works for a white family would be out of a job.