JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Relationship Talk (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/relationship-talk/)
-   -   Interracial relationships (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/relationship-talk/13453-interracial-relationships.html)

Joedirt 03-17-2008 01:26 PM

Interracial relationships

Is it still a taboo for Japaneese men or women to date or marry someone that is not Japaneese?

Gackt21 03-17-2008 05:45 PM

The Japanese are starting to westernize so they are now starting to think like the western culture. At first they would only marry their own race and no outsiders.

Nagoyankee 03-17-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gackt21 (Post 429748)
The Japanese are starting to westernize so they are now starting to think like the western culture. At first they would only marry their own race and no outsiders.

We are NOT westernizing. We may be changing but to call it 'westernization' is inaccurate and too simplistic. How do we westernize when our population is 99.5% Japanese and the majority of the remaining 0.5% consists of other Oriental ethnic groups?

How do you expect to see so many of us marry foreigners when only 1 out of every 200 people in Japan are non-Japanese?

hypekstatic 03-17-2008 06:01 PM

Yeah i doubt that the YOUTH of Japan really cares.
Most of my Japanese friends are dating non asian girls,
and those are the ones that CAME from Japan.

hypekstatic 03-17-2008 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagoyankee (Post 429759)
We are NOT westernizing. We may be changing but to call it 'westernization' is inaccurate and too simplistic. How do we westernize when our population is 99.5% Japanese and the majority of the remaining 0.5% consists of other Oriental ethnic groups?

How do you expect to see so many of us marry foreigners when only 1 out of every 200 people in Japan are non-Japanese?

I'm pretty sure they meant the CULTURE is westernized.
Alot of girls in Japan are into western culture fashion and style.
And they also enjoy celebrities from America like Paris Hilton or
Lindsay Lohan etc. They are westernizing in the younger generation,
not meaning that there are more Gaijins in Japan...

Joedirt 03-17-2008 06:43 PM

I have always found japaneese women to be so beautiful. I have wondered how they view white Americans now days. Would a japaneese family despise me or accept my whiteness.

Gackt21 03-17-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagoyankee (Post 429759)

I stand corrected and thank you for correcting me. I just heard that from my little brother.

aishiteru13 03-17-2008 11:42 PM

i think it's a good thing though
i don't think there's anything wrong with dating someone outside your "race"
i think what matters is the person and what they stand for rather than what they look like:D

xYinniex 03-18-2008 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedirt (Post 429783)
I have always found japaneese women to be so beautiful. I have wondered how they view white Americans now days. Would a japaneese family despise me or accept my whiteness.

not really, i mean lots of people are pretty open minded now, it's not the middle ages there. And plus, if you're a nice person, of course they'll like you. But they won't like you THAT much, considering that you are marrying their child/sibling, its the same in any other marriage, the family's always gona leave some room for apprehensions.

There are many places in Japan that are so metropolitan or even the old places where there will be 'white' tourists, they're not surprised by gaijins.

Kayci 03-18-2008 03:05 AM

I think it isn't such a taboo anymore...
Considering I'm a majorly white girl with a small-town japanese guy. ^^;