(#21 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-09-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Wow... you've had some experience. Thanks for sharing I can see why you would think that Inter-religious dating is a bad idea. I suppose the key to my perception of how Inter-religious dating MIGHT work are that both parties are secular in their approach to each others, and their own beliefs. It sounds like your ex-husband was not like that, would you agree?
Yes. If both people have a generally secular approach to the issue, then they are usually able to share thoughts without preaching or attempting to persuade the other.

No, the ex was just paranoid about things not Judeo-Christian. One often fears what one cannot grasp intellectually. He was able to accept my Judaic path because at least it was related throught the shared "Old" Testament. I think he would even have been more comfortable if my shift had been toward Atheism. He would literally shudder when walking into my office (at home) because of my "idolatry" once the representations of dieties were displayed. I never could reconcile that idolatry concept with people wearing crucifixes and having artistic representations of Jesus, Mary and the prophets though.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

05-09-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Well I would think the most obvious and rational way to solve that problem would be to simply let the see both points of view and perhaps when they feel ready, the child will be able to make sense of things for themselves. As long as your child is happy then who cares what they believe or don't believe in right?
Watch out! I am product of that thinking.

(#23 (permalink))
Old
chaseme (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-09-2008, 01:18 PM

my family is very religious catholics i even have a priest cousin and my girlfriend is an active member of a different religious group and i am an atheist.
me and my family have no issues
me and my girlfriends have no issues

i never mentioned it though they never asked. And i dont want to plunge myself in a useless argument of beliefs. If they asked me to go to church why not its not like its gonna kill me. if it will make the people i love happy then why not. My idea of an atheist is "there is no God" not ill die if i go to church or something like those.
--------------------------------
i think someone has to give way if both party will impose their belief it will be an endless argument.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-09-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseme View Post
my family is very religious catholics i even have a priest cousin and my girlfriend is an active member of a different religious group and i am an atheist.
me and my family have no issues
me and my girlfriends have no issues

i never mentioned it though they never asked. And i dont want to plunge myself in a useless argument of beliefs. If they asked me to go to church why not its not like its gonna kill me. if it will make the people i love happy then why not. My idea of an atheist is "there is no God" not ill die if i go to church or something like those.
--------------------------------
i think someone has to give way if both party will impose their belief it will be an endless argument.
Very well said man.

Last edited by Acidreptile : 05-09-2008 at 01:59 PM.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
NightChilde25 (Offline)
In my own little world

Send a message via AIM to NightChilde25 Send a message via Yahoo to NightChilde25
05-09-2008, 02:33 PM

I don't think inter religious dating is a good idea at all. It's not that I have something against other religions but the state of mind of the two people involved in the relationship. I'm a Christian. I could never get serious with someone who was a different religion because of my beliefs. If some of you don't know, Christians believe that if you don't accept Jesus into your heart and ask forgiveness for all of your sins, you will go to Hell and suffer for eternity. I tend not to push my religion on people but if I loved someone enough to be with them, the thought of them going to Hell would kill me. I wouldn't be able to NOT try to convert them. It would just cause problems. I know I wouldn't be very fond of someone trying push their religion on me, no matter what they thought, but due to my beliefs I couldn't stand by and do nothing. It's just more trouble than it's worth.

If you can put your beliefs aside, then it may work fine, but then how can you call yourself a member of that religion when you can so easily ignore those beliefs that you say you hold dear?

It's even worse if you have kids. It's already been pointed out, I see, but I'll restate it. If you are religious, you care very much what your children believe. Think of it this way: If you knew your child was going to be hurt, wouldn't you do anything in your power to prevent it? Especially if it were an eternity of suffering?

My cousin is Baptist, her husband is Catholic. They're both Christian religions, I know, but they are very different. They have four children. They take turns each week taking the children to church while the other goes to their own church. Does anyone want to know the result of this? Some majorly confused kids, that's what. The kids ask about the differences in what they hear and get the "Mommy believes this and Daddy believes that" speech that leaves them more confused than they were to begin with. Their oldest daughter doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings about who she goes with or what she believes but the thing is she doesn't know what to believe. She gets pressure from both sides and both churches. She doesn't know what to do and I have no idea what to tell her other than my own beliefs and to just follow her heart. She's miserable because she's so afraid of making one of them upset with her, even though they have told her she's free to decide.

(#26 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

05-09-2008, 04:05 PM

Personally, I would find it difficult to have a relationship with someone of a different faith. I myself, am not particularly religious. I believe in some of Wicca practices, but am not devout. I just think about some Wicca related guidelines when going about day to day life, but I never mention or talk about it. I've never gone out with a person of any religion, all of my boyfriends have been athiest [like a lot of people in my generation are], therefore I have never experianced problems regarding faith. The reason I couldn't have a relationship with a person of another faith is because I don't want another person's values pressed onto me. Not everyone does that, I know, but when you become very close to someone you begin to share things that are important to you with each other, and of course a person's religion is something they usually hold very dear to them.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Nki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Nki
05-09-2008, 04:23 PM

When you don't compare, all inferiority, all superiority, disappears. Then you are, you are simply there. A small bush or a big high tree--it doesn't matter; you are yourself. You are needed. A grass leaf is needed as much as the biggest star.

Nki Loves You.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

05-10-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidreptile View Post
Since you are an Atheist I don't think that you can understand that.But let's only say that pleasure is senseless.

PS: Don't be offended because that is not my intention.
Pleasure is senseless? Fine.... I hope you find your life particularly unenjoyable if that's what you really believe.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

05-10-2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidreptile View Post
But let's only say that pleasure is senseless.
I am not atheist and I cannot accept that either.

I cannot believe the Universe would contain such beauty and wonder if we were not meant to find pleasure in it.

What seems senseless to me is being created with the physical means to experience a wide range of pleasures only to dismiss that part of your existence as either senseless or unacceptable.

It is only the pursuit of one's pleasure at the expense other important apects of life, or when it harms others, that should be unacceptable.

(#30 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

05-10-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I am not atheist and I cannot accept that either.

I cannot believe the Universe would contain such beauty and wonder if we were not meant to find pleasure in it.

What seems senseless to me is being created with the physical means to experience a wide range of pleasures only to dismiss that part of your existence as either senseless or unacceptable.

It is only the pursuit of one's pleasure at the expense other important apects of life, or when it harms others, that should be unacceptable.
I completely agree with this sentiment.