JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kurokumachan (Offline)
New to JF

Question I Need American Type Of Love From JP female - 08-23-2008, 10:18 PM

I know many japanese families dont hug and kiss their children or each other so it may be hard to grow up knowing how to do these things and even feeling good about it. However many japanese women watch korean drama, which has a lot of kissing and touching etc. so its not something that it totally foreign. Would a japanese girl be willing to let herself grow to be more affectionate in a relationship?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-24-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokumachan View Post
I know many japanese families dont hug and kiss their children or each other so it may be hard to grow up knowing how to do these things and even feeling good about it.
Japanese MOTHERS hug and kiss their children, sleep next them until well into grade school, bathe with them until close to adulthood, etc.
Affection at home in a family setting is a lot different than customs when walking around in public.

Japanese fathers, on the other hand, have a history of being a bit distant from the children - although this is changing a lot in recent years. But as I presume you`re an adult (or at least old enough to not be of the current generation of children) the chance that her father was very close is fairly low.

Quote:
However many japanese women watch korean drama, which has a lot of kissing and touching etc. so its not something that it totally foreign. Would a japanese girl be willing to let herself grow to be more affectionate in a relationship?
You`re assuming it`s a foreign concept to begin with.
It`s not. People just don`t go around getting all that touchy feely in public.

Love and affection are not American concepts. If you want "American" love, date an American.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JoshAussie (Offline)
わかりません

08-24-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Japanese MOTHERS hug and kiss their children, sleep next them until well into grade school, bathe with them until close to adulthood, etc.
Affection at home in a family setting is a lot different than customs when walking around in public.

Japanese fathers, on the other hand, have a history of being a bit distant from the children - although this is changing a lot in recent years. But as I presume you`re an adult (or at least old enough to not be of the current generation of children) the chance that her father was very close is fairly low.

You`re assuming it`s a foreign concept to begin with.
It`s not. People just don`t go around getting all that touchy feely in public.

Love and affection are not American concepts. If you want "American" love, date an American.
Sorry but did i just read that correctly???
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-24-2008, 12:10 PM

This is perfectly rediculous! JF is not a mail order bride site! Why is it people can't read a book, get a Japanese dictionary or look anything up before asking these rubish question!

and yes parents bathe with thier kids. No big deal.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-24-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
Yes, you did.
Ever hear of onsen? Adults who don`t even know each other bathe together without anything sexual happening at all.
If you`re thinking anything other than body cleansing, you`re a bit sick.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
xceeding (Offline)
New to JF

Hugging Japanese children - 08-31-2008, 10:14 PM

I used to assist in soccer coaching with a Japanese team here in California. I'm a white American and my son was a member of this team of 8 to 10 year olds, mostly the children of Japanese families who were temporary located in California by their companies.

There was an incident that stuck in my mind. A little Japanese girl, maybe 9 years old, was struck in the head by a soccer ball and begain crying her eyes out.

I immediately ran over, put my arm around her, and tried to comfort her until she stopped crying. The girl immediately stopped crying and then just looked at me with a very confused look in her face. After I was sure she was okay, I walked back to the sideline. I'll never forget the strange looks I got from the Japanese parents sitting on the sidelines, especially the fathers! Ugh! I often wondered if I did something wrong.

Would I do again? Well, yeah that's me.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Ryusword (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Ryusword Send a message via Yahoo to Ryusword
09-09-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
LOL your mind went straight in the gutter huh? Parental Bonding is avery important thing to a Mother. The more you bond with your mother the more you and her will know each other. If it is so sick for a mother to bathe with her child then it is even more sick than a father to bathe his newborn daughter. Little things like these make the family more sound. Think about it! If you can't shower in the same room as your mom what makes you think you'll be able to get naked and crawl into bed with another women??? It's strange but research it. When you leave home you'd wish you had spent more time with your parents. These parents are just showing that they love and care about who they are protecting in this world.

REMEMBER AT THE END OF THIS TEST SESSION THERE WILL BE CAKE!!!

the cake is a lie the cake is a lie
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Alan (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Alan
09-09-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xceeding View Post
I used to assist in soccer coaching with a Japanese team here in California. I'm a white American and my son was a member of this team of 8 to 10 year olds, mostly the children of Japanese families who were temporary located in California by their companies.

There was an incident that stuck in my mind. A little Japanese girl, maybe 9 years old, was struck in the head by a soccer ball and begain crying her eyes out.

I immediately ran over, put my arm around her, and tried to comfort her until she stopped crying. The girl immediately stopped crying and then just looked at me with a very confused look in her face. After I was sure she was okay, I walked back to the sideline. I'll never forget the strange looks I got from the Japanese parents sitting on the sidelines, especially the fathers! Ugh! I often wondered if I did something wrong.

Would I do again? Well, yeah that's me.
lol, yeah, being nice can get us in trouble sometimes.

Dyslexic devil worshipers sell their souls to Santa.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
09-09-2008, 05:39 PM

threadstarter is talking about girl-guy relationships not parent-children, i think most people got confused by his/her post.

that being said, being affectionate is great and becoming more acceptable between cupples, but it's still considered somewhat rude if done in public. small things are alright, but anything extreme is kind of a no-no. depends on the generations too, but I know it's kind of embarassing to be locking lips with my fiancee infront of kids/obachans just because it's not something of the norm. Hope that helpped.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-11-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Very true! Dang people wanting the greener grass all the time. "I want love and affection but she has to be a certain race"