JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
theAlphaDuck (Offline)
Banned

08-29-2008, 09:30 AM

Thats alot of money for something that started out as Peasant Food!

if anyone is ever in london, i HIGHLY recomend La Porchetta...massive italian handmade pizza made fresh and from scratch there and then...for about £5 (thats $10)

and thats eating in!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-29-2008, 02:22 PM

1. Not quite, I had a waitress ask my fiance in Japanese if it was okay for me to use chopsticks. And in Seattle, at a Japanese restaurant they gave my fiance chopsticks and me a fork. Also, pretty much the first time I ate a meal with someone in Japan they would ask if I could use chopsticks.

2. No but my Fiance was a little suprised when I made rice with dinner when she was here. She thought I did it because of her, not because that is how I make that dish. She didn't realize that rice is a popular food and thought American's mostly ate bread and pasta instead.

4. It is more like they refusing to let you practice Japanese by them speaking English. Most of the time I will try to respond in Japanese to their English, but I did have a woman tell me not to speak in Japanese at all because she wanted to practice her English.

With the exception of 5 I understand why someone that is Japanese or has heard stories about certain behaviors towards westerners might ask these questions. They are simply exagerations of reactions that a Japanese person with limited contact with foreigners might have.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
08-29-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post
1. No I never have.

2. Why is this in the relationship section?

3. Why the f*** is this in the relationship section?
my....
we share so MANY similar sentiments.. o.o'

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
xceeding (Offline)
New to JF

08-30-2008, 03:54 PM

I plead guilty to being a new poster! It's interesting that you state that I have a "d*mn" negative overtone and then use profanity to describe my tone. Thanks for getting over your preoccupation of the quantity of my posts and actually giving an intellegent response to my questions. Sometimes the stereotypes we have of each other between us Westerners and Japanese can be humorous at first as we get to know a culture better.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
xceeding (Offline)
New to JF

08-30-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsakaPapa View Post
While our new poster here seems to have a pretty damn negative overtone, I have heard small instances where things like this happen, but usually only with food. Japanese people know that Americans typically don't know much about Japanese food besides sushi, and since our palettes tend to be different, they might be nervous about serving you something like ikuradon, so they play it safe and give you something they know you've had before. I actually think this isn't a bad idea in the very beginning, and then form there, they can determine what kind of Japanese foods you might like. But I sincerely doubt someone is gonna get pizza every night. Not only is that lame, but it's unhealthy, and EXPENSIVE. Japanese Dominos pizza with pepperoni will cost you about $20.
I got more responses over the fact that I was a new poster than to my thread! I have have a negative overtone? Then you use profanity to describe my tone? Well thanks for getting over your preoccupation of the number of my posts and actually giving an intelligent response to my questions. The stereotypes we have of each other between us Japanese and Americans can be humorous at times as we learn about each other's culture. I'll try to lighten up my tone for my next post.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

08-30-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xceeding View Post
I got more responses over the fact that I was a new poster than to my thread! I have have a negative overtone? Then you use profanity to describe my tone? Well thanks for getting over your preoccupation of the number of my posts and actually giving an intelligent response to my questions. The stereotypes we have of each other between us Japanese and Americans can be humorous at times as we learn about each other's culture. I'll try to lighten up my tone for my next post.
What I don't get, is why you made two posts, yet for the second post just recycled what you just said in the first?

And still, Why is this in the relationship section?
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-30-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xceeding View Post
xceeding, if you knew how many people come here, make one post that stirs up a bunch of flames and then never comes back, you would understand better.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

08-31-2008, 07:45 AM

Why does everyone get so flared up when someone mentions something potentially negative about Japan? I hate this attitude you all have towards new members who are just asking a question. If someone came on here and said the same thing about America, for example, not many people would have the same attitude. He/She was not flaming Japan, merely asking a question about it so he/she could find out better what it was like. They were questioning the stereotype, so that they could find out about this kind of thing better and not be given the wrong information. Isn't that what Japan forum is for? To give a realistic perspective instead of an ideal one? His/her post had no negative overtones in my eyes, unless you wanted to look at it that way yourself. If you don't like it, don't post.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-31-2008, 08:06 AM

Ok, except the first couple posts, I didn't read the whole thread. But I have experienced all those things and so have the few other foreigners I knew in Japan. People just try to be considerate. I never got any of that stuff from people who met me more that a couple times.
I Japan, especialy in the country side, people can't imagine Japanese coming from a white face or the person practicing Japanese customs. Sometimes, people would e so polite I felt trapped into social situations. Most of this stuff came from people who never met a foreigner before or from "gai-jin" wh***s who just wanted to know a foreigner.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
xceeding (Offline)
New to JF

Stirred "your flames" you mean, right? - 08-31-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
xceeding, if you knew how many people come here, make one post that stirs up a bunch of flames and then never comes back, you would understand better.
I'm not sure what you mean by "never comes back." Hello I'm here! As for the flames I stirred, you obviously overate you opinion.

Okay so you never experienced these things, take a deep breath move on. There are others who have something to say besides you.