JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
xceeding (Offline)
New to JF

Over-reaching hospitality from Japanese. - 08-25-2008, 04:26 PM

Has any visitors to Japan ever experienced what I would call "over-reaching hospitality" in Japan from Japanese?

I would define this as:

1. Insisting that you eat your Japanese food with a fork when at a restaurant with Japanese friends, or at a Japanese home.

2. Being served a plate of bread, when all others are eating rice.

3. Fear from Japanese that you (a westerner) would explode if you eat Japanese food, or heaven forbid "SUSHI!!!"

4. Refusal to let you practice your simple Japanese language ability by speaking back to you in simple Japanese.

5. Never accepting any form of gifts from you for fear appearing greedy.

6. Any other examples you can think of?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-25-2008, 04:32 PM

Looks as though you joined JF to make this negative thread.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
08-25-2008, 05:35 PM

nope...never experienced this
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Bureda (Offline)
Banned

08-25-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xceeding View Post
Has any visitors to Japan ever experienced what I would call "over-reaching hospitality" in Japan from Japanese?

I would define this as:

1. Insisting that you eat your Japanese food with a fork when at a restaurant with Japanese friends, or at a Japanese home.

2. Being served a plate of bread, when all others are eating rice.

3. Fear from Japanese that you (a westerner) would explode if you eat Japanese food, or heaven forbid "SUSHI!!!"

4. Refusal to let you practice your simple Japanese language ability by speaking back to you in simple Japanese.

5. Never accepting any form of gifts from you for fear appearing greedy.

6. Any other examples you can think of?
7. You are very stupid.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-25-2008, 06:20 PM

Have experienced nothing like that because none of those things happen.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

08-25-2008, 09:08 PM

1. No I never have.

2. Why is this in the relationship section?

3. Why the f*** is this in the relationship section?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-25-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Have experienced nothing like that because none of those things happen.
You know, I recall reading one person's journal a good while back from a trip the girl took to Japan to visit her friend. This was the late 90s, though. Her friend's mother seemed to have pizza every night for their dinner because she was American and knew that Americans eat pizza, as it's not fully Japanese and all. Her friend explained this to her after she'd left that her mother figured that she would enjoy pizza because of her being American. Maybe there are some Japanese who makes the assumption that an American wouldn't care for Japanese foods.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 08-25-2008 at 10:38 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

Send a message via AIM to OsakaPapa
08-28-2008, 08:17 PM

While our new poster here seems to have a pretty damn negative overtone, I have heard small instances where things like this happen, but usually only with food. Japanese people know that Americans typically don't know much about Japanese food besides sushi, and since our palettes tend to be different, they might be nervous about serving you something like ikuradon, so they play it safe and give you something they know you've had before. I actually think this isn't a bad idea in the very beginning, and then form there, they can determine what kind of Japanese foods you might like. But I sincerely doubt someone is gonna get pizza every night. Not only is that lame, but it's unhealthy, and EXPENSIVE. Japanese Dominos pizza with pepperoni will cost you about $20.

なんでやねん

- Studied in Tokyo for my 2007 Spring Semester. Lived in Ota-ku in the Ontakesan area. Pics can be found on my Facebook. Feel free to add me ^_^
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-28-2008, 08:37 PM

$20? I used to pay $16 for a single siize pizza. It would be $50 to feed a family pizza for dinner.

But I won't get too serious until the OP has more than one post.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

Send a message via AIM to OsakaPapa
08-28-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
$20? I used to pay $16 for a single siize pizza. It would be $50 to feed a family pizza for dinner.

But I won't get too serious until the OP has more than one post.
Was that from Dominos? It's been a year and half since I last did this, but I think I remember paying about $20 for an S size, and about $25 for an L size pepperoni. But yeah, wow, now that I think about it, my girlfriend and I used to polish off an L size between the two of us, so a family of four..yup, $50. Good call, man. I remember we would only get it every once in a while, unless we were really aching for some CHEESE.

なんでやねん

- Studied in Tokyo for my 2007 Spring Semester. Lived in Ota-ku in the Ontakesan area. Pics can be found on my Facebook. Feel free to add me ^_^