JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Saffron (Offline)
I'm leaving

Send a message via AIM to Saffron
good and bad experiences - 12-17-2008, 08:03 AM

I am interested to know if anyone has had good experiences with pen pals. Have they become real friends? Have you had bad experiences? and do you have problems finding sincere pen pals?

Last edited by Saffron : 12-17-2008 at 08:42 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-17-2008, 04:46 PM

I've had one good and one bad experience with penpals.

I met one girl who I started exchanging emails with on a regular basis. She eventually came over to visit me for a week where we had a great time as I showed her around the city, took her hiking, etc.

Two months after her return, she came back to my city with a student visa where she spent the following year studying English.

That was around 8 years ago. She still remains as one of my best friends and we'll always hook up when I'm in japan.

The bad experience was a girl who started off friendly but eventually turned into a stalker who got pissed off when she didn't receive my reply within 24hrs. She eventually flew 7000km, looked me up in the phone book and made her way to my front door!!! Jeez... what a crazy biatch!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-17-2008, 05:23 PM

I ended up marrying mine (even though we met in Japan, we were just friends and never dated). I got to know her better through e-mails and realized she was the perfect woman for me.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Saffron (Offline)
I'm leaving

12-18-2008, 06:58 AM

Thank you for your replies.
Spicytuna: It's great you have a good experience. Your bad experience wow what a nightmare!! Unfortunatly the internet does attract stalkers and general wierdo's That is one reason I no longer have pen pals in my own country, I would freak out if a pen pal turned up on my doorstep! I have a long list of bad experiences but nothing anywhere near as bad as yours. However I do have a good experience. After 3 years of trying to find a nice friend in another country, I finally found one 4 months ago Even though I have never met her, we are real friends. It is like we have known each other for years. When I have had pen pals in my own country, it does not mattter if they are a foreigner living here, all I get is can we meet for a coffee or I want to meet you, can I come round, this is normally in two weeks of knowing the person. Haha some did not wait that long. One man asked to take me out in 3 emails! I am not trusting enough to meet someone off the internet that quick.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Saffron (Offline)
I'm leaving

12-18-2008, 07:06 AM

Belyvis: That was a good way to do it. At least meeting someone before you become pen pals, helps with the nerves and you know what they are like from the start. That is a really nice story It gives hope to us all.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-18-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffron View Post
When I have had pen pals in my own country, it does not mattter if they are a foreigner living here, all I get is can we meet for a coffee or I want to meet you, can I come round, this is normally in two weeks of knowing the person. Haha some did not wait that long. One man asked to take me out in 3 emails! I am not trusting enough to meet someone off the internet that quick.
Many of my female penpals stated in their profile that they were married when they weren't. They said that it weeded out the men who were using penpal sites as a free alternative to sites like Lavalife.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Saffron (Offline)
I'm leaving

12-19-2008, 06:42 AM

It is a good idea your pen pals have but all the same it is lying. Although I can see why they say they are married when they are not. Though I think it is better for a woman to just state no romance on there profile. I have had male pen pals in the past who said they are married in there first email, so to start with I felt safer talking with married men. Although the odd married man has hit on me So either they were after an affair or they were not really married. In my experience people lie so much on the internet that you never know if they are married or single.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-19-2008, 07:05 AM

Still dating mine Pretty good experience

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Saffron (Offline)
I'm leaving

12-20-2008, 08:00 PM

Keaton: you are lucky. It works for some people but not for others.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Bureda (Offline)
Banned

12-20-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
Still dating mine Pretty good experience
Go on son! tap thatttt!