JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-17-2009, 11:26 AM

You know, I knew that sorta applied to females, but wasn't sure about males. I'm curious too. So this applies to men and women, the whole staying home until you marry thing?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-17-2009, 12:19 PM

I think that your understanding of why people live at home until marriage is, well, wrong to begin with.

For most people in most parts of Japan, it takes a lot of money to move out and live on your own. Starting salaries are simply not high enough to get a place and still manage to save anything at all. Even to get married, there is a certain expectation of having some money saved up.

So, "established" means "steady employment + savings" - not "living alone". The longer one can stay living at home, the more money can potentially be saved up - so it`s often an advantage in dating to live at home longer.

Around us, anyone who can still manage to live at home and commute to work does.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-17-2009, 12:36 PM

In my experience, people out of high school are not so secretive about boyfriends and girlfriends with parents. What's the point of sneaking around? Obviously love hotel visits would not be advertised, but relationships are not a secret as much as you seem to think.