JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Would you like to have a japanese BF/GF?
yes 205 66.99%
no 35 11.44%
maybe 66 21.57%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#251 (permalink))
Old
Elenwe (Offline)
JF Regular

02-15-2011, 09:10 PM

Hum... dunno honestly, wouldn't mind I guess, I've already had a japanese guy interested in me on dating sites. Dunno how my parents will take it though.
(#252 (permalink))
Old
rio09 (Offline)
JF Regular

04-18-2011, 11:34 PM

YES YES AND YES... problem is ..i am to lazy to learn japanese ..especially writing kanji -.-... man korean writing is easier for me..

but i think that's why japanese girl are interesting...their culture/looks/race..

sadly ..this rarely to see japs ..peeps in here ..*sigh*
(#253 (permalink))
Old
s3sz (Offline)
New to JF

11-29-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
A Japanese girl wanting to have a Japanese boyfriend is a whole world different than a (insert random nationality) girl wanting a Japanese boyfriend because she thinks they are "cool".
hmm I'm sure it's different, but is it wrong?

(#254 (permalink))
Old
Cashi (Offline)
New to JF

11-29-2011, 02:53 PM

Who cares what nationality he is? Isn't that classed as racist only going after 1 type of nationality.

But in all honesty it wouldn't bother me.
(#255 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-30-2011, 12:16 AM

It is absolutely fine to want your life partner to be of a certain ethnicity. It's a big decision.
Everyone is turned on by different things.

If on the other hand you're just thinking it'll be a novelty and you think he'll just be one in a long line of boyfriends that you've fallen out with then that's stupid. You should have the intent of spending your life with this person. Which is why I think the much-maligned idea of ''The One'' is actually alright. Because you can't just settle for someone you feel sorry for. It's all about having someone you can tolerate and when you're old you won't drive each other mad.

Last edited by tokusatsufan : 11-30-2011 at 12:21 AM.
(#256 (permalink))
Old
Starskysea (Offline)
New to JF

11-30-2011, 05:06 PM

I think everyone who labels having nationality/race preferences in relationships as racist are pushing things a bit far. The UN defines racial discrimination as "any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, color, descent, or national or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life" Preferences in choice of dating or life partner are part of private life and either way do not limit anyone's human rights or fundamental freedoms as far as I'm aware. I doubt any of the people expressing a preference for Japanese guys or girls look down on or denigrate other races. It's simply a question of traits or ideas we find more attractive. I know there's a lot of debate on sensitive issues like racism, but I think that, just as we shouldn't let discrimination get out of hand, we can't try to enforce absolutes in people's tastes...we're human and are inevitably going to have some racial/nationality/physical bias...the question is what we do about it and how open-minded we are about things that lie outside the bias.

But to answer the thread, I've never met or interacted with a Japanese guy, so I can only base my opinion on Japanese men I've seen in videos. I used to want to date a Japanese guy because of being into anime, jpop, dramas and so on. All the guys shown in these domains are very delicate, beautiful, charismatic, etc. But right now I'm wondering if I'm really attracted to that image and wondering what regular Japanese guys are like. I'm aware that few of them will be like the strong, good-looking tsunderes from the shoujos I've read, or the talented, eccentric v-kei artists whose videos I've watched. Of course I would like to go out with, say, Miyavi, or Yoh from Koukou Debut. But I'm more realistic now, and I don't know what to expect....I'm afraid the cultural gap and different social and gender expectations will be too much of a challenge if I do meet a Japanese guy I like.
(#257 (permalink))
Old
RKitagawa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to RKitagawa
11-30-2011, 06:36 PM

I just want to say that if you limit yourself like this, you could be missing out on the perfect man/woman for you.

I know this from experience. I used to be pretty narrow minded in who I wanted to date. I wanted to find a Japanese girl.

But then I met someone completely different. And I told myself, maybe I should just give it a shot. It was the best thing that ever happened to me.

There's nothing wrong with having preferences. But don't let your preferences make you miss out on something amazing. Trust me when I say, you can fall for the most unexpected people. And when you do, you'll be amazed that you ever thought you wanted something else.
(#258 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-30-2011, 11:24 PM

I think starskysea and RKitagawa both have good points. I try and have a girl from every country that I like! I do have a failing in that I can't see myself being in Japan and being satisfied with not marrying a Japanese girl. I know that might change. I might go out with a Korean,or a Taiwanese,or even another white person but say,from Canada and end up marrying them.
(#259 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-01-2011, 12:25 AM

One of the biggest problems I have with saying you want to be with a specific nationality is that it puts too much weight on something that cannot possibly support a relationship alone.

Japanese people are people... Who just happen to be Japanese. The same variety is there, just with "Japanese" in place of whatever other nationality.

Way too many people look at "Japanese" as if it is going to have a huge effect on all those other traits that people normally look at in a love interest. "If he/she is Japanese, they will have these traits that I want!" sort of thing. It is stereotyping and leads to a lot of bad endings to relationships. I can't even begin to count the number of times I have seen or heard about people who wanted to date someone Japanese, so jumped at the first chance they got... Only to find out that the image they had formed of a Japanese man or woman was absolutely nothing like the individual they were dating. And sometimes this realization came too late after they jumped to get married or had a baby.

It really shouldn't be given any more weight than hair or eye color, really. No one would dream of thinking that every girl with green eyes is going to be devoted and submissive... Nor that every guy with blonde hair is going to be a great outdoorsman, etc. It is just as silly as thinking that every Japanese person is going to adhere to some stereotypical view that has been formed based on whatever is the popular image at the time in the west.
The only thing that you can be pretty safe assuming about someone Japanese is that their natural hair color is most likely black, and their natural eye color brown.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#260 (permalink))
Old
glowsilver (Offline)
New to JF

12-02-2011, 10:18 PM

I know a white, Canadian guy very bitter after some bad relationships with women, who, encouraged by stories of friends working in Japan and marrying beautiful Japanese women, arranged a transfer to Japan via his company. He has been there for a few months now and on his Facebook/blog, constantly posts about how beautiful and slender and feminine Japanese women are and so polite and smart and will do anything for you, JUST because they're Japanese, etc. He doesn't yet have a Japanese girlfriend but seems to think that one will fall into his lap any day now. We're not friends but I feel sorry for him because a lot of bad things have happened to him in his life, but I really hope he gets over this phase of the "culture shock" before he faces another serious disappointment ... and, if possible, before a woman gets involved

I have had a Japanese boyfriend and would be open to having a relationship with another, but I don't think you can pin down "good" or "bad" qualities to just one race or nationality of people