LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Pike (Offline)
Asian Female? Where?

07-03-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobora View Post

LOL your welcome. But thats is how dads are. Once they have a daughter they want to protect them from everyything and I mean everything.
I am a father of 2 girls and 2 boys. I agree I want to protect them from being hurt but I would never think to tell them who they should or should not like. As is I teach them that we are all the same we just have slight differences and those differences are what makes each person special. Never go by what a person looks like on the outside because friends come in all shapes, sizes and colors.

The Ecstasy of Emptiness
The Purity of Suffering
The Divinity of Loneliness
(#12 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

07-03-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike View Post
I am a father of 2 girls and 2 boys. I agree I want to protect them from being hurt but I would never think to tell them who they should or should not like. As is I teach them that we are all the same we just have slight differences and those differences are what makes each person special. Never go by what a person looks like on the outside because friends come in all shapes, sizes and colors.
YUp I ment to type more but had to go so never got to that part. But I agree with you. And you being a father understands this alot more than me
(#13 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-04-2009, 07:46 PM

I have some similar issues with my own father, who thinks that because I'm interested in another country, that means I don't love my own culture. It's completely possible to love and learn from more than one culture.

I don't know how old your father is, but I know mine is from a completely different generation. My advice is to just ignore him.

LOVE: pass it on
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
07-04-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYinniex View Post
...i think in anyone's case, if you are under 21/22

its Dad VS ANYONE you date. =)
Not true.
My dad has no trouble telling me who he'd think would be better for me.
And I'M 18. lol

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-05-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayci View Post
Not true.
My dad has no trouble telling me who he'd think would be better for me.
And I'M 18. lol
Lucky. Most dads I know freak out if they have a daughter who has a love interest. x_x

(#16 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

07-05-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
I have some similar issues with my own father, who thinks that because I'm interested in another country, that means I don't love my own culture. It's completely possible to love and learn from more than one culture.

I don't know how old your father is, but I know mine is from a completely different generation. My advice is to just ignore him.
One thing I'd just like to add here quickly, is to never ignore your dad (or mother for that case). They might seem quick to react, and protective at times, but they're like that for a reason. Whatever age you'll be, your parents will always look out for you.

Now-a-days, I take my mums perceptions very seriously (albeit, sometimes, I do brush them off) because she can see things, that I can't. You can date whoever you want to, but don't ignore your father. That's asking to run into a swamp of mistakes.

Quote:
Lucky. Most dads I know freak out if they have a daughter who has a love interest. x_x
Haha, most do, aye. That's because they've grown with you since you was that small little baby girl, and most of the time, they still see you as their "princess". Most dads will panic, until they see this boy, and judge him as worthy. So, if you make the right choice, your father will soon follow, don't worry.

(To be honest, if I have a daughter, she'll have a hard time finding a right boy, because I have this stern sense of what a young boy should be. So the smallest hint of an attitude would be instant fail in my eyes :P)

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#17 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-05-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

One thing I'd just like to add here quickly, is to never ignore your dad (or mother for that case). They might seem quick to react, and protective at times, but they're like that for a reason. Whatever age you'll be, your parents will always look out for you.

Now-a-days, I take my mums perceptions very seriously (albeit, sometimes, I do brush them off) because she can see things, that I can't. You can date whoever you want to, but don't ignore your father. That's asking to run into a swamp of mistakes.

Haha, most do, aye. That's because they've grown with you since you was that small little baby girl, and most of the time, they still see you as their "princess". Most dads will panic, until they see this boy, and judge him as worthy. So, if you make the right choice, your father will soon follow, don't worry.

(To be honest, if I have a daughter, she'll have a hard time finding a right boy, because I have this stern sense of what a young boy should be. So the smallest hint of an attitude would be instant fail in my eyes :P)
Parents are great for giving advice... but I don't know, I kind of think it depends on what kind of parents you have. I absolutely agree when this comes to my mother. I know she'll be there for me, no matter what. I'll always listen to her, even if I don't like what she's saying. My dad, on the other hand... well, when I said he was from I different generation, I kind of meant that he's racist, sexist, and homophobic. To the extreme. So, when I tell him I like women and bring back a woman for him to meet instead of a man, he's going to disown me. He came close to disowning me once already. So yeah, I think it depends on who the parents are.

Yesterday, I spoke to my father, and he basically told me that foreign countries are barbaric because they don't have the American justice system. That was one instance that I had to ignore him lol.

(#18 (permalink))
Old
ani (Offline)
New to JF

07-06-2009, 12:15 AM

thanks guys

Last edited by ani : 07-09-2009 at 07:11 AM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
ani (Offline)
New to JF

dad vs. me - 07-09-2009, 07:15 AM

well i am 19 and pretty much about to leave the "nest" and my dad claims that he doesnt care who i like, but obviously he does. i also agree he's acting the way that he is because he doesn't want me to get hurt, but he also knows that im a nonconformist and i like making what seems to be the impossible, possible i and love being different. and hes also giving me a hard time because i just moved back with him to go to school and he believes that im influencing my younger brothers. he thinks this because my oldest younger brother is starting eat with chopsticks and like asian girls and pretty much stuff that i like or do. and i dont think that theres anything wrong with him enjoying another country like i do. but my dad thinks that im making him small minded and making him think that the asian culture is better then his own heriatage. i on the other hand, dont think thats not the case at all. my brothers 11 and exploring another heritage besides his own, and i dont think theres nothing wrong with that. does anybody agree with me?? and how should i handle the situation?? i dont think that loving the asian culture on the low will solve anything because my brothers already know that, so its no secret. . .
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Payne222 (Offline)
un américain

07-09-2009, 07:18 AM

Maybe don't be so hardcore into the culture...it's fine to love something, but loving the culture and obsessing over the culture are 2 different things, y'know?