JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#121 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

04-19-2011, 04:20 PM

2 of my students, 2 very beautiful university girls, say that until they get married they only want the most handsome guys they can get their hands on, and that once they do get married, looks have little to no importance to them, and then it becomes wealth, kindness etc that becomes top priority,.. I think that sums up how most reasonable people think

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#122 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-19-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Actually yes, I can say that about many people. Not everyone - as you definitely are not among them.

Believe that if you want, but watch out because there are many exceptions to that premise and they can be rather unsettling. And this does not take into account that one's looks change over time - sometimes drastically. Some people look better with age, others do not; so basing preferences on the looks of someone in the 20's is really a crap shoot.

No one said it was all it takes, but I think we were rather clear that it is first, foremost and overrides all other considerations.
i'm not saying that personality doesn't matter, but i won't make excuses for what i said because i still stand by it, and, sadly, i'm fairly certain that what i said is representative of how the younger generation thinks about attraction.
there's definite truth ro what you said, though: looks are fleeting, and that'll be the price the shallow folks pay down the road.

unless they're rich. then they can just trade up.
(#123 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
04-19-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
i'm not saying that personality doesn't matter, but i won't make excuses for what i said because i still stand by it, and, sadly, i'm fairly certain that what i said is representative of how the younger generation thinks about attraction.
there's definite truth ro what you said, though: looks are fleeting, and that'll be the price the shallow folks pay down the road.

unless they're rich. then they can just trade up.
Ah, finally in agreement. And yes, there is a definite shift with age. The younger and less experienced a person is, the more they will rely on looks and toys (material signs of money). Guess that is how we learn about getting burned by bad choices.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#124 (permalink))
Old
kenshinhimura (Offline)
New to JF

06-04-2011, 07:44 AM

Im always getting attracted in the persons personality. I dont care what he look like.
(#125 (permalink))
Old
AlexisSalas (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to AlexisSalas
07-06-2011, 05:05 PM

Well i say both, and im sure people saying that they only look at the personality its totally FAKE cause im sure you would go out with this girl
Sry its a link but im to lazy
http://www.elperroflaco.com/photos/2.../001_small.jpg

Rosetta Stone japanese programs seems to not helped me much...Need help with my japanese, looking for help plz!!
(#126 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-06-2011, 09:19 PM

File:Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How come no one has mentioned this?
If one person allows you to reach the pyramid's apex then that one should take precedence.

I am not saying that you shouldn't take into account the looks, I'm just saying that they shouldn't be a determining factor UNLESS and only UNLESS you are talking about a short term relationship.

Also, I said "MANY beautiful girls tend to be [relatively] dumb" you broke my argument and stated I said ALL. I am not a misogynist that loathes beautiful looking women, alas, most of which I've met, were REALLY BORING, shallow and honestly I would rather talk about something MEANINGFUL with a 6 or a 7, rather than talking about a 10's shoes.

That said, there are many fives, sixes and sevens that are equally dim-witted.

On a personal preference: If I met a 10 with great traits, trust me I wouldn't complain at all, but if an 8 had even better psychological/intellectual/ideological characteristics, well screw the 10.
(#127 (permalink))
Old
MissFrank12 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to MissFrank12
07-06-2011, 09:24 PM

It is about 50/50 for me.
(#128 (permalink))
Old
Fr3sh (Offline)
JF Regular

07-07-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
File:Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How come no one has mentioned this?
If one person allows you to reach the pyramid's apex then that one should take precedence.

I am not saying that you shouldn't take into account the looks, I'm just saying that they shouldn't be a determining factor UNLESS and only UNLESS you are talking about a short term relationship.

Also, I said "MANY beautiful girls tend to be [relatively] dumb" you broke my argument and stated I said ALL. I am not a misogynist that loathes beautiful looking women, alas, most of which I've met, were REALLY BORING, shallow and honestly I would rather talk about something MEANINGFUL with a 6 or a 7, rather than talking about a 10's shoes.

That said, there are many fives, sixes and sevens that are equally dim-witted.

On a personal preference: If I met a 10 with great traits, trust me I wouldn't complain at all, but if an 8 had even better psychological/intellectual/ideological characteristics, well screw the 10.
I agree with you on mostly everything you've said. No point of going after eye-candy that won't engage in a decent convo...But the only thing I really disagree with you is the "grading system" I don't like it when dudes give out grades to chicks a 1-10...it pretty shallow imo.
(#129 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-07-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3sh View Post
I agree with you on mostly everything you've said. No point of going after eye-candy that won't engage in a decent convo...But the only thing I really disagree with you is the "grading system" I don't like it when dudes give out grades to chicks a 1-10...it pretty shallow imo.
That was mostly a reply to Wingstodiscovery. In honestly don't take that into account (not too much at least, to put a personal example, not long ago a (so called by them) '7' was driving me crazy and there was nothing capable of stopping my obsession).

Also, why don't we stop using reductio ad ridiculum (which you can blame me of using, although I said, it was something happening many times and obviously there are exceptions for everything).

Last edited by Nameless : 07-07-2011 at 11:13 PM.
(#130 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-08-2011, 11:00 AM

Both. I find hardworking women extremely attractive. But I choose to be 結婚できない男の人 for some very personal reasons.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

失敗をしない人間はいない。 いるのは失敗から立ち直れない奴と
立ち直れる奴だ。