LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Chemist (Offline)
New to JF

English in Japan - 08-20-2010, 11:25 AM

Hallo,

I hope this is the right section here for my question:

I'm a PhD-Student in Chemistry and I have the chance to go to Japan during my PhD. I'm not afraid of going there, but I heard that it could be a problem with the communication, because the most students can't speak english very well. And because I can't speak japanese, I think it would be very difficult to go there if there's no language to communicate. The city I would go to is Yokohama.
What do you think about this problem ?

Thanks

The Chemist
(#2 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-20-2010, 02:21 PM

I think you'd learn a lot with the experience. I also can say that while pretty much every Japanese person studies English in school, most can't speak it. They can read and write very well though (the people who take it seriously anyways). Yokohama is a very big city (I guess #2 in Japan under Tokyo... but they're like connected as far as I can tell). So I'd guess that you'd run into quite a few people who can speak English fairly well, as there are a lot of foreigners living in big cities (thus giving Japanese more exposure to natural English I suppose).

However, if this can make or break you getting a PhD, I'd consider all your options before making such a big move.

Out of curiosity, why Japan?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Chemist (Offline)
New to JF

08-20-2010, 09:37 PM

Thank you for fast answer. In fact, I just want to go there for a few months (2-4 months) to make some research. It's Japan, because my PhD adviser has very good connections to a very good, famous japanese professor who is doing mostly the same research than we do. And for one chapter of my PhD work, it would be helpful and interesting to go there and work with this japanese workgroup.
As I said, I'm just afraid of the situation, not to be able to communicate. So, it's true that the students learn english in school and at university, but they can't do almost no small talk or something else ? At first, I just want to know about the situation at the university :-)
Greets
(#4 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
08-25-2010, 03:44 PM

Just out of curiosity, what is your native language, since the English in the posts doesn't appear to be your primary language? There maybe be some opportunity for even languages other than Japanese and English to be used in larger cities.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-26-2010, 01:27 AM

Most graduate students I know have a working knowledge of English, and I have yet to meet a Japanese professor whom I haven't been able to communicate with in English. That's not to say that there aren't any, but you should be able to get along fine using English.

It wouldn't hurt to study a little Japanese before coming over, but you only need enough to introduce yourself, and for shopping. For a stay of only a few months it's not worth the trouble to learn any more. You would need at least a couple of years of serious Japanese study to acquire even basic conversational skills.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Chemist (Offline)
New to JF

08-28-2010, 03:55 PM

Okay, my nativ language is german. How did you see that my first language is not english ? Did i make so much mistakes ? ;-)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

08-28-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
Okay, my nativ language is german. How did you see that my first language is not english ? Did i make so much mistakes ? ;-)
You just did again.

"so much mistakes" > many

And rememebr I'm a regular Japanese guy.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

08-28-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
some.
"but I heard that it (there) could be a problem with the(can do without) communication, because the(also no need) most students"

something like that
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-29-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
You just did again.

"so much mistakes" > many

And rememebr I'm a regular Japanese guy.
You must be joking dude, I have rarely met Japanese people with your level of language expertise, and the ones I have met were all professional interpreters.