JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
missprincess (Offline)
Bonnie lass from England

Asian men only like Asian women? - 11-09-2010, 08:49 PM

first i apologise for using the term oriental and not asian (but i didnt know how to refer to people from india etc if i used asian in general!

anyways ive noticed alot the oriental women dont mind getting married to white men or men out of their race, ive actually seen it alot, my cousin was dating a chinese girl for a good number of years b4 her parents decided that she should leave him. but getting to the point ive not seen alot of oriental men in relationships with none oriental girls or none white girls (i guess the blonde hair blue eyes thing always goes down well),
but what about women with darker skin (ie latino looking women or even black women?)
i remember asking a chiense guy i knew if chinese men in general like asian woman from india or pakistan coz my pakistani mate is obessessed with korean guys (as am i, i must admit) and he laughed and was like no. is that in general (talking about majority) true that oriental men from japan, china, korea etc they only like their own race? i mean if they met someone like aishwarya rai (google her) or adriana lima would the not like them, even though there super hot???

To save any more issues, I changed the thread title. -MMM

Last edited by MMM : 11-10-2010 at 01:52 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-09-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missprincess View Post
first i apologise for using the term oriental and not asian (but i didnt know how to refer to people from india etc if i used asian in general!

Above is a map of Asia. As you can see, India, Pakistan and the other 'Stans are all included. Technically anyone from those countries can be called 'asian', although Pakistan is often included in the 'middle east'. People from China, Japan, and S.E Asia are often referred to as Far East Asian. Whilst it's still mostly acceptable to use 'oriental' to talk about objects, you should really avoid using it to describe people as it's seen as offensive in some circles. It's a bit subjective, but nonetheless, if you're not up to making a point over a mere word, it's not worth the hassle of using it. I think you're already aware of much of this though
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ModusOperandi (Offline)
JF Regular

11-09-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
India is located in South Asia
I think the term you're looking for is "East/S.E Asians."

Usually, attraction is subjective.

EDIT:
Columbine, A winner is you. :P..you posted first.

Last edited by ModusOperandi : 11-09-2010 at 10:28 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

11-09-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
anyways ive noticed alot the oriental women dont mind getting married to white men or men out of their race, ive actually seen it alot, my cousin was dating a chinese girl for a good number of years b4 her parents decided that she should leave him.
1) It's really hard to explain without using actual nationalities (and I don't want to, because I can't say for sure and it's generalizing) but women seem to tend to be more willing to marry outside of a socially designated group, and seem to do so in larger numbers. So between group A and group B, you might have a lot of interracial marriages, but consisting of mostly Group B women marrying Group B men. Conversely, a particular situation (such as immigration, or government deployment) might mean that Group C men are sent en mass to Country D, resulting in interracial marriages consisting mostly of Group C men marrying Group D women, but almost no Group A women or Group D men marrying back.

2) Regarding men with non-group women, you have to consider various social and logistical factors- 1) availability. There may be less single foreign women to pick from to start with, as with C and D above.
2) Responsibility. It may be A-OK in some societies for women to marry out of their group, provided that they are morally and financially secure. It may be less easy for men to do so if they are expected to carry on the family as it is- maintaining tradition and status quo could be harder with a foreign bride. Perhaps foreign women are seen to have views that simply clash too much with the role of a married woman in that culture.
3) Maybe it is not a lack of interest on the men's part, but a lack of interest on the foreign women's side.
4) No one can speak for a majority. Asia is massive- you would find massively different opinions and reasonings in India than you would in Korea. they are completely different cultures.
5) social stigma. In some places foreign women may be seen as socially gauche, immoral or corrupt- maybe fine for a fling, but not something to base a long term relationship for. Foreign men, having a different background, may not feel the same about the women. Maybe there's a history. It can be difficult for two nationalities to marry if there is a history of war between their states.
6) Ditto religion. It's not unreasonable to assume that a lot of non-muslim men might agree that a beautiful Pakistani woman is very attractive; but at the same time, they probably wouldn't pick them as a group to 'like' or seek to date, as there would be tremendous obstacles and would require massive change and compromise or simply the attempt would cause uproar and grief.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-10-2010, 12:17 AM

In my observance, if we ignore the cultural opinion of a certain group by another... a culture transplant issue strongly comes into play.

I find this something that really stands out as a huge roadblock for western women and Asian men in particular. Asian women tend to have a huge following with western men for many reasons both true and incredibly stereotypish... But on the other hand Asian men tend to have the opposite - for both true and stereotype reasons. The same features that are deemed attractive in Asian women are negative traits in Asian men. (ie. smaller stature, cultural background where women are more subservient, etc)

In a relationship, there tends to be the expectation of the woman entering the man`s culture. In marriages it is far far more common for the couple to move to the country of the husband than the wife - largely for financial and employment issues. A woman from an Asian country is far more likely to be positive toward a move to a foreign husband`s country (as culture in Asia tends to lean toward men being the head of the household and the woman following) than a western woman.

Add into this the fact that Asian men tend to know the prevailing cultural opinion, and the widespread belief that "western" culture and society is superior... And it becomes (particularly for Asian men and western women) quite hard to imagine a western woman transplanting herself into an "inferior" society.
An Asian woman is usually influenced to feel that a western husband is a "step up", so to speak, and a western man is usually influenced to feel that an Asian wife is a status symbol. An Asian man is influenced to think that no western woman would be interested to begin with, and western women are influenced to think that Asian men and culture is inferior.

Of course this is all just my opinion, and of course there are many relationships in which these factors don`t really come into play at all. But at the same time, cultural ideals do have a very strong effect on what people actually do even if they don`t personally feel that way. As the OP said, it`s fairly rare to see an Asian man - Non-Asian woman couple. That alone is a stigma. It stands out. There is pressure there, and most of it negative. No matter how the individual feels, pressure is pressure. Stress is stress. So it just becomes something that isn`t done.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

11-10-2010, 03:20 AM

Another viewpoint I came accross was that Japanese guys in general just tend to think that Japanese women are prettier than non-Japanese women.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-10-2010, 04:10 AM

"if they met someone like aishwarya rai (google her)"
Holy cow she's HOT!

But seriously, what are the chances she sits next me and asks me out? Most of the times guys need to take initiatives, start the move, ask the girl out, and entertain her. And it is hard to do in a language that is not your own. Young girls, however, generally get flocks of guys asking them out. And generally caucasian and African people are taller and more muscular. While guys being tall and muscular is generally considered attractive, being skinny and short isn't.

And of course, Japanese girls ARE cute, Ronin

Last edited by cranks : 11-10-2010 at 04:14 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

11-10-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post

And of course, Japanese girls ARE cute, Ronin
you can say that again.

It's funny... all these far flung sociological theories sound good... but perhaps the explanation is much simpler.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-10-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
you can say that again.

It's funny... all these far flung sociological theories sound good... but perhaps the explanation is much simpler.
Clearly, we don't share the same opinion in some areas, but it seems to me you have a good "taste" in other departments

And holy, that Aishwarya Rai girl is hot. Did I say that?

Last edited by cranks : 11-10-2010 at 05:39 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
11-11-2010, 12:16 PM

Not all. I find myself nationality/race-hopping from time to time. We're talking about feelings, not materialistic things, right? Then beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Regardless of other factors determining a relationship at all, if you like her, you like her; if you don't, you don't. Simple as that.

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.