JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Elenwe (Offline)
JF Regular

Do japanese people marry/date other Asians? - 02-15-2011, 06:11 PM

So I have this idea that japanese people only marry inside their race and rarely marry someone from another race such as American, French, Chinese, etc. Now I'd like to know if this is true or not? And if you do date someone from another country, how does the family view it?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-15-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenwe View Post
So I have this idea that japanese people only marry inside their race and rarely marry someone from another race such as American, French, Chinese, etc. Now I'd like to know if this is true or not? And if you do date someone from another country, how does the family view it?
This is definitely not true. It is not common, but Japanese do marry other race. More so Caucasian than other Asians, but interracial marriage definitely exist. Some families are more open than others, it will difficult to generalize on this topic.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-15-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
This is definitely not true. It is not common, but Japanese do marry other race. More so Caucasian than other Asians, but interracial marriage definitely exist. Some families are more open than others, it will difficult to generalize on this topic.
Huh? You sure? Last stats I looked at seemed to show the opposite. Most cross-nationality marriages were with S.E Asians.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Elenwe (Offline)
JF Regular

02-15-2011, 06:31 PM

A bit like Chinese people I guess, they don't marry another race all that often, and mostly they prefer Asians such as phillipinos/thai rather than occidentals. Though a Chinese/Japanese couple is even more rare than Japanese/Other Asians/Occidental races.

Last edited by Elenwe : 02-15-2011 at 06:35 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-15-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Huh? You sure? Last stats I looked at seemed to show the opposite. Most cross-nationality marriages were with S.E Asians.
Yes, that is right. Marriages with non-Asians are easier to notice on the street, but are the minority.

According to the statistics from the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, there were 36,039 international marriages between Japanese and non-Japanese in 2003. This is about 5 percent of the 740,191 couples who married in Japan, which means an an average of one out of 20 marriages were mixed. It was one out of 22 in 2000. International couples in Japan have thus increased.

Among international couples, foreign husbands and Japanese wives make up about 20 percent. Looking at the statistics by nationality. Koreans were involved in 2,235 marriages, followed by Americans in 1,529 marriages, Chinese in 890, British in 334 and Brazilians in 265 marriages respectively. Foreign wives and Japanese husbands make up about 80 percent, led by Chinese in 10,242 marriages followed by Filipino in 7,794 marriages, Koreans in 5,318, Thai in 1,445 and Brazilians in 296.

Japan-Behind the Scenes
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Elenwe (Offline)
JF Regular

02-15-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Yes, that is right. Marriages with non-Asians are easier to notice on the street, but are the minority.

According to the statistics from the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, there were 36,039 international marriages between Japanese and non-Japanese in 2003. This is about 5 percent of the 740,191 couples who married in Japan, which means an an average of one out of 20 marriages were mixed. It was one out of 22 in 2000. International couples in Japan have thus increased.

Among international couples, foreign husbands and Japanese wives make up about 20 percent. Looking at the statistics by nationality. Koreans were involved in 2,235 marriages, followed by Americans in 1,529 marriages, Chinese in 890, British in 334 and Brazilians in 265 marriages respectively. Foreign wives and Japanese husbands make up about 80 percent, led by Chinese in 10,242 marriages followed by Filipino in 7,794 marriages, Koreans in 5,318, Thai in 1,445 and Brazilians in 296.

Japan-Behind the Scenes
o.O, so there are chinese/japanese couples? I thought they rarely existed...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-15-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenwe View Post
o.O, so there are chinese/japanese couples? I thought they rarely existed...
There are, I have at least 3 friends who have Japanese wife.... we are all Chinese...
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Elenwe (Offline)
JF Regular

02-15-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
There are, I have at least 3 friends who have Japanese wife.... we are all Chinese...
So, how do their families view their marriages? I know that some Chinese people such as my parents, are very biased towards Japanese culture... and even a little racist?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-23-2011, 11:45 AM

Hell yeeeeaaaaah!! I would date wit any chicks as long as they're my type of gurlz. Race or cultural background dun matter. Will ya introduce some cute girls to me? LOL
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Elenwe (Offline)
JF Regular

02-28-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsygypsy View Post
Hell yeeeeaaaaah!! I would date wit any chicks as long as they're my type of gurlz. Race or cultural background dun matter. Will ya introduce some cute girls to me? LOL
Mmm... you're the type of guy that we girls should be wary of on the internet... XD

Last edited by Elenwe : 02-28-2011 at 11:26 PM.