LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

03-07-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt21 View Post
What are your opinions on old fashion men guys? Do any still exist in the age group of 21-30?
I don't consider it "old fashioned." More like "common courtesy." I do get mixed reactions, especially for being courteous in Japan, but it's always appreciated.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Gackt21 (Offline)
退屈中央

Send a message via Skype™ to Gackt21
03-07-2011, 05:20 AM

I wish there were more men in the states that behaved with that kind of courteous behavior for in the states it is called old fashioned to treat a woman like a human being with feelings. Only a 60 year old man seems to behave that way anymore, but I am sure Japan is different.

GACKTDOLL クリスティーナ
Kurisutīna
(#13 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

03-07-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
but I am sure Japan is different.
It's worse.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#14 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

03-07-2011, 05:51 AM

well i don't know when i do not open doors for girls. i catch myself looking at reflections in glass to see if there is a women behind me in order to open the door for her when i am walking in/out somewhere.

i don't think it is old fashion thing. specially seeing how i'm 19. it's one of those things guys should do and that's it
(#15 (permalink))
Old
junicorn (Offline)
New to JF

03-07-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
well i don't know when i do not open doors for girls. i catch myself looking at reflections in glass to see if there is a women behind me in order to open the door for her when i am walking in/out somewhere.

i don't think it is old fashion thing. specially seeing how i'm 19. it's one of those things guys should do and that's it
I agree.. i think what helped stop the common curtesy is women who tell men not to open doors for them and say things like "I can do it myself" and get pissed. Men know women can open doors... They are just being polite. if i see another girl walk up behind me I hold the door open too...
(#16 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
03-07-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
put your jacket over a wet spot so she does not get wet feet?
I prefer to avoid those areas, as you don't know what it's under that puddle, and seeing the girl disappear from your arm isn't pleasant , but besides this, I can think of myself as old fashioned.

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?
(#17 (permalink))
Old
ryuhebi13 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-07-2011, 08:04 AM

Like has been said, it's just common courtesy. I'll hold open doors for anyone just behind me, I don't always get thanks but I do it nontheless. I'm courteous to old women and pregnant women especially it's just what you do. I can be old fashioned and gentlemanly, it's just the way I am. I've stopped guys (2 on 1) harrassing a girl even though she clearly said no. I got into trouble for it, but the girl was grateful and that's what matters. I'd step up again if needed to.

Last edited by ryuhebi13 : 03-07-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: added more
(#18 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

03-07-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Okay when I mean old fashion, do you open the doors for women, go down slipper steps for she goes down to help her so she does not slip, or put your jacket over a wet spot so she does not get wet feet? How many of you do this? Do you treat a woman like a queen and lead her when she needs the help to make the connections. Women are known as the emotional creatures a lot of the time and needs the firm direction of a man. This is what I understand as old fashion and not well respected by today's men through the media.
Well, this is complicated. First of all modern women are (to a degree) responsible for this. When I sometimes observe what girls are doing and how they behave I am wondering if they are a completely new species. Same goes to the guys, but that's beside the point here. I guess it is a side effect of fast life, lack of face-to-face communication and degradation of basic social interactions. In Japan it is ridiculous. Last time I saw a family of 3, sitting in a food court. eating lunch on Sunday while ... playing nintendo. All f. three of them. If you don't call it retarded I do not really know what you should call it.

With the jacket over a wet spot. That is not being a gentleman, but being an idiot. You walk around it not through it. Honestly...

If you treat woman like a queen you give her too much room to think, and do more damage than good. You need to treat her with respect, but far from being a queen. In fact, if I was a woman and someone treated me like a queen, I'd get bored and most likely vomit.

Instead of throwing your jacket on the puddle, better talk to her and spend some time with her discovering her inner self. She will appreciate it much more than dramatic gestures observed in cheesy Hollywood movies from the 60s.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
ryuhebi13 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-07-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post

With the jacket over a wet spot. That is not being a gentleman, but being an idiot. You walk around it not through it. Honestly...

LOL

Instead of throwing your jacket on the puddle, better talk to her and spend some time with her discovering her inner self. She will appreciate it much more than dramatic gestures observed in cheesy Hollywood movies from the 60s.

True enough
I've never quite understood throwing a jacket in a puddle. I think it started out as a drycleaners conspiracy to get more cash
(#20 (permalink))
Old
catbat (Offline)
spaced

03-07-2011, 10:02 AM

Haha

Oh this thread is gonna be fun.

Something i've always wanted to know is why do guys leave the loo seat up?

(if you don't then good for you)

And if a girl was say, humble in the chest area, does it really make a difference to if you ask her out?

Kyoko Honda- For there to be pain, there has to be kindness. For darkness to stand out, there has to be the sun.