LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-08-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
You asked about vegetarianism in specific, so I'll respond to that first. Why do you think that you will have any issues or problems with her being vegetarian? It doesn't define a person's personality. If you think eating out or meals will be a problem, then why? If you like candy and your girlfriend didn't, would you be going "how do I handle this?" like you did in your first post? If you want meat and she doesn't then just order different meals, or if you're cooking then it's not that hard to cook a piece of meat seperately and only put it on your plate and not on hers. What is the issue?

Also if she's your teacher then forget it. It's against the law for a teacher to date a student under eighteen, and even if you're over eighteen she'd lose her job for dating you.
^ This.

Honestly,Come Dine with Me was on before and this vegetarian made everyone a meal and these people were making such a big deal because they had a meal and there was NO MEAT INVOLVED! Shock horror! I'm not talking about anyone here but people are pathetic.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-08-2011, 09:38 PM

We have an abbatoir in our village, we drove past today with the windows down . . . have you ever heard a pig squealing in either agony or terror? I was tempted never to touch meat again, and I can understand now why Clarice was so freaking traumatised in "Silence of the Lambs". If people could hear that sound I don't think people would eat as much meat as they do . . .
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

08-08-2011, 10:14 PM

I've just turned veggie. I saw a pretty awful news article which was enough to put me off for a good while, and I also wanted to lose weight and be more healthy so I thought this was a good route to go down in terms of experimenting with food more.

That being said - I've been a veggie about 2 weeks, so it's really nothing I can comment on at this moment.

Meat doesn't bother me. Killing animals for meat doesn't bother me. The fact that I cannot be sure the animal has been treated humanely, particularly in death, is what bothers me, and because it's very difficult at this time to be sure that the animal has been treated with respect then I decided not to eat meat.

At the end of the day it's no big deal, I got over it in a few days.

I have pet chickens and they lay eggs, the are free range so it's all good. Nom.

Apart from that it has no bearing on my personality obviously. It's just like not liking certain foods, you aren't gonna dump someone because they don't like pizza or something right? Lol, you deal with them the same as you deal with anyone.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
pekmezza (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to pekmezza
08-08-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
That would make you a vegan, not a vegeterian.
Indeed. XD
(#15 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-09-2011, 01:40 AM

Compromise.

Since you are dating her, there should be something you two both like to eat together.

I am also dating someone who does not eat pork , not because of religion or anything, his body just rejects swine. So we compromise. When we go out to eat, we have this silent agreement not to order anything with pork in it. But there are times when what I want have pork in it , then sometimes I do order it .

So basically, talk to her about it and learn to meet halfway.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------

Last edited by samokan : 08-10-2011 at 12:35 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-09-2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpon View Post
any idea how to handle the vegetarian woman? LoL
I hope I can go through my day with her..
Lol...@ handle "the" vegetarian woman.
I think this has more to do with you than her but maybe not...
It seems a vegetarian would have a harder time with someone who eats meat due to ethical / moral reasons rather than the other way around.

Is she trying to convert you to being a vegetarian?
Are you trying to convert her?

What is your worry that we're missing when you say "later on"?
(#17 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

08-09-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
If you like candy and your girlfriend didn't, would you be going "how do I handle this?"
sorry but this is really lame example you have here. everyone knows vegetarianism is about moral implications and not physical like taste. and because of that it actually can affect long term relationships. human nature usually isn't so understanding as to have a couple sitting peacefully at the diner table year after year with totally different views on food (huge par of our lives) without having any fights/discussions.

not saying vegetarians should only date other like them, just know that at one point or another there will be a discussion about who is right among you.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Gokiburi (Offline)
JF Regular

08-09-2011, 08:34 AM

Is more of a question of live and let live, of mutual respect and tolerance of different views. If you put a slab of meat or half a greenhouse on your plate don't matter to me. It's your stomach and your hide that has to exist on what you stuff it with. Just don't go on a crusade trying to foist your lifestyle on me. Is like with any other lifestyle/faith/ideology : as long as you don't go taliban with it, everyone will be fine...

In day-to-day live, no problem, cook more veggies, prepare more greenery,an extra pan/skillet/pot/wok/whatever to do your meat in, simple as that.

Oddly nough my favourite dish is meatless: A good hommus with a slice of flat bread fresh out of the oven ... hmmm... I'd kill for that
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
08-09-2011, 08:38 AM

I am thinking heavily on being a pescetarian personally, and not for moral reasons. I just wanna personally watch my weight a bit more. (Not heavy but with a small frame too much can overcome). I dont mind vegetarians, its vegans i would have trouble trying to entertain at a party or something.

I love fish

i just would have to give up some curries and soups made with beef broth/chicken broth....

I hope the day went well.

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

08-09-2011, 09:29 AM

It simply isn't true that there has to be arguments about being a vegetarian.

My entire family eat meat. I do not mind this, this is their choice. If they wanted to support my views, they would be vegetarian themselves. They are not, I respect their difference of opinion, if they wanted to take that step they would have done so already, so me taking the moral high ground would make no ounce of difference, particularly when I've only been a veggie 2 weeks.

My best and closest friend has been a vegetarian all her life. It has never ever been even 1% of a problem. She accepted I ate meat, I accepted she didn't.

So no, there doesn't have to be fights. I've never even had the discussion with my best friend about being a vegetarian because she always has been and what she eats is completely none of my business. I have never ever met a normal vegetarian who has tried to preach to me or tell me what to eat.