JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

08-09-2011, 10:22 AM

first misamisa. you are not a vegetarian. at least not yet. for now you are just another girl on her new diet. 2 weeks doesn't make you a vegetarian.
also with friends there usually aren't any problems. i go to school with a girl who has been a vegan for 12 years and it is fine.

however problems are more likely to rise in a relationship. when you spend all your diners and suppers together. not saying they will, but it is far more likely.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

08-09-2011, 10:50 AM

I'm not just a 'girl on her new diet.' It isn't just a diet for me, and maybe the fact you are like that is the reason you are going to cause confrontation with people. I wouldn't be surprised if you were always involved in confrontation with that kind of attitude, but not everyone has to be.

Once you stop eating meat for moral reasons, you are a vegetarian. I didn't know there was an exclusive veggie club that requires a certain length of time before you are initiated. :/

I spend all my meals with my family - breakfast, dinner, tea, supper. They have no problem with it. I have no problem with them eating meat. End.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
08-09-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
first misamisa. you are not a vegetarian. at least not yet. for now you are just another girl on her new diet. 2 weeks doesn't make you a vegetarian.
also with friends there usually aren't any problems. i go to school with a girl who has been a vegan for 12 years and it is fine.

however problems are more likely to rise in a relationship. when you spend all your diners and suppers together. not saying they will, but it is far more likely.
Since when do you get to decide who is and who is not a veggie?

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-09-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
sorry but this is really lame example you have here. everyone knows vegetarianism is about moral implications and not physical like taste. and because of that it actually can affect long term relationships. human nature usually isn't so understanding as to have a couple sitting peacefully at the diner table year after year with totally different views on food (huge par of our lives) without having any fights/discussions.

not saying vegetarians should only date other like them, just know that at one point or another there will be a discussion about who is right among you.
I have to disagree. Whether it is a moral issue, or for some a matter of taste, I don't think it has to be an issue between a couple, nor will there always be a discussion about 'who is right'.

Marraiges, relationships, and friendships are all about compromise and acceptance. If your friend wore a headscarf for religious reasons, would you? If your wife didn't eat meat for moral reasons, would you? And - in the 'lame example' - if you didn't eat candy for its taste, would you expect other people not to either? The answer to all three (I would hope) is 'no'.

MissMisa already gave a very good and eloquent explanation, and I quite a agree with her. My best friend is a vegetarian for religious reasons, she won't even handle or touch meat, but if we eat out together and I eat meat and she doesn't then she doesn't complain or argue with me about 'who is right'. Sometimes we may have a discussion about our choices, but we never try to claim one person is right. We love one another and so we accept that we are different, our personal lifestyles do not affect one another's and so why argue about whose way is superior? Why risk a relationship over something so trivial?

I maintain that something like whether a person does or does not eat meat is trivial in the scheme of things, and that a person's choice in the matter should in no way influence a relationship with another. If it does I would question just how solid a relationship it was to begin with.

Last edited by RobinMask : 08-09-2011 at 11:41 AM.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

08-09-2011, 02:25 PM

[quote=MissMisa;875271]I'm not just a 'girl on her new diet.' It isn't just a diet for me, and maybe the fact you are like that is the reason you are going to cause confrontation with people. I wouldn't be surprised if you were always involved in confrontation with that kind of attitude, but not everyone has to be.
QUOTE]

eh. i meant it that 2 weeks without meat isn't much and you could very easily change your mind soon enough.

and...actually i know i can sometimes seem like an a-hole on internet, which is weird since i am a really nice guy in real life. and i have no idea why on the net it is different...hm

and ronin...i quickly ran over your text with my eyes..so i assume it went something like "bla bla, if you love someone then it won't matter...bla la", right?
my point was, which no one on this forum ever gets, ...ah. ill edit this later...i am too bored to be answering.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

08-09-2011, 02:34 PM

What would you know? I don't even understand the relevence of that.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
08-09-2011, 03:53 PM

[quote=evanny;875311]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I'm not just a 'girl on her new diet.' It isn't just a diet for me, and maybe the fact you are like that is the reason you are going to cause confrontation with people. I wouldn't be surprised if you were always involved in confrontation with that kind of attitude, but not everyone has to be.
QUOTE]

eh. i meant it that 2 weeks without meat isn't much and you could very easily change your mind soon enough.

and...actually i know i can sometimes seem like an a-hole on internet, which is weird since i am a really nice guy in real life. and i have no idea why on the net it is different...hm

and ronin...i quickly ran over your text with my eyes..so i assume it went something like "bla bla, if you love someone then it won't matter...bla la", right?
my point was, which no one on this forum ever gets, ...ah. ill edit this later...i am too bored to be answering.
Your point was none. As in, you had none. You were just looking for trouble.

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-09-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:

You're a funny guy Evanny. You totally insult Ronin by admitting you didn't bother to fully read his text and assume what he's actually trying to say is some malarchy which is not even worth reading (i.e. bla bla) and wonder why on the net you have trouble coming off as a "nice guy" lolll.

You're getting beat up today but ... okay you deserved it just a little.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
OsakaBlue (Offline)
New to JF

08-09-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
That would make you a vegan, not a vegeterian.
Actually, a vegan would mean they don't partake in just dairy products, but also eggs or processed foods containing other animal-derived ingredients such as gelatin. Vegans also do not consume honey and certain sugars and wines.

Quote:
sorry but this is really lame example you have here. everyone knows vegetarianism is about moral implications and not physical like taste. and because of that it actually can affect long term relationships. human nature usually isn't so understanding as to have a couple sitting peacefully at the diner table year after year with totally different views on food (huge par of our lives) without having any fights/discussions.

not saying vegetarians should only date other like them, just know that at one point or another there will be a discussion about who is right among you.
Actually not everyone is a vegetarian due to 'moral implications'. My best friend is a pescatarian (eats fish and chicken) but doesn't eat other meats mainly due to the fact that she honestly just doesn't like the taste of it. Another friend of mine (who ironically has the same name as the first) is a vegetarian because she actually hates animals (and the taste of them) to the extent that she won't eat one. Has little to do with morals. My sister is a vegan and her choice is simply for the health benefits actually. She's moving to become a raw vegan, again, for health reasons. My ex was a vegetarian and I wasn't; we fought a lot but our taste or decision in what we ate never came up.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-09-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayci View Post
Since when do you get to decide who is and who is not a veggie?
Quite! You should never try and stop people becoming vegetarian even if you're not one yourself. We're actually doing something good.