JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jlth1987 (Offline)
New to JF

Arrow 日本女性のこと。A discussion about Japanese girls. (Replies in English/日本語で答えてもいい) - 04-25-2011, 01:14 PM

I was thinking if this would have been better placed in the "Relationship Talk" section of the forum. But I want insight into this regarding the dating culture in Japan, no necessarily a relationship issue.

The main question I have is with regard to how Japanese girls view dating foreigners other than Caucasians. From statistics we can actually see a general preference for the Caucasian guy. Since I'm a guy myself i'm more interested to know about the general view of Japanese Females. Ofcourse Japanese male opinions regarding foreign females are welcome, but pls leave that for another thread. (I'd like to streamline the context of this discussion)
In general Japanese practice a rather protectionist behaviour be it in Business Dealings or other aspects.

So what are your views or any light you can shed on this issue, pls leave any your comments!

日本の女性は白人以外の外国人は恋することが珍しいで すか。

大体日本の文化は自分の日本人は守ります、たとえばビ ジネスのやりかたとか...

そして、日本女性は恋する時も日本男性のほうが好きで すか。

それ以外日本女性は白人と恋することも多いですから、 他の外国人はどう思う?

情報とか、意見があればコメントください~! 感謝します!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

04-25-2011, 02:18 PM

As a white male who attended university in Tokyo a few years ago, I have a couple thoughts from personal experience that don't directly address your questions but might prove helpful:

1. In a 日米交流史 class, the professor asked for a show of hands of the foreign and Japanese students in the class. "How many would date a foreigner?" Many, many Japanese girls in the class raised their hands. "How many would marry a foreigner?" Nearly every Japanese-lady hand went down. We as a class laughed really hard when that happened.

2. I joined a club and was approached by a number of girls asking if I had a girlfriend. I said I already had one (I have since married her), so those particular conversations never went any further. Whether they were wanting to date me or tease me is unknown.

3. All the foreign students in Japan who dated Japanese girls I know of are white. Granted, nearly all the foreign students I knew in Japan were white. Others were Korean and Chinese, but I imagine it's easier to keep a girlfriend in Korea or China long distance since you're much closer. Also, I suspect historical tensions make it less likely you'd enter into a short-term relationship with a Japanese girl if you're from Korea or, especially, China. (Also, as a fellow East Asian, you aren't "exotic" and therefore are probably less desirable to someone looking for a foreign boyfriend for the exoticness.) I only have one black friend who studied in Japan, and he did not have a Japanese significant other to the best of my knowledge (but he didn't have one before or after studying abroad, either).

That being said, this post belongs in the relationship board, not the language board.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 04-25-2011 at 02:21 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jlth1987 (Offline)
New to JF

04-25-2011, 02:36 PM

Nice to meet you KyleGoetz.

Thank you very much for that insight.

If its fine with you maybe we could chat on Skype or sth as I have several more
queries. My Skype ID is also jlth1987.

And yeah, I was really debilitating where this thread should have gone.

But i saw this more as a Japanese cultural discussion no ill intentions whatsoever, if need be maybe I can copy and paste the whole thread into that section?

Or would there be any mods on hand to shift this thread?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

04-25-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlth1987 View Post
I was really debilitating where this thread should have gone.
I'm sure you meant "debating," as "debilitating" means "causing a loss of energy and strength."

I don't really have a desire or time to talk about this further, though. Good luck with your research.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jlth1987 (Offline)
New to JF

04-25-2011, 03:29 PM

Haha sorry i meant deliberating~ >.<

Its ok then thx for your comment so far.

Appreciate it.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-26-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
1. In a 日米交流史 class, the professor asked for a show of hands of the foreign and Japanese students in the class. "How many would date a foreigner?" Many, many Japanese girls in the class raised their hands. "How many would marry a foreigner?" Nearly every Japanese-lady hand went down. We as a class laughed really hard when that happened.
I would have been curious to know how Japanese guys would have responded to the marrying a foreigner question. My guess is there would be many more guys willing to marry a foreigner, provided they would live in Japan.