JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Relationship Talk (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/relationship-talk/)
-   -   What type of Geek you prefer? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/relationship-talk/9452-what-type-geek-you-prefer.html)

Nanobyte 11-09-2007 08:36 PM

What type of Geek you prefer?

Where some types of Geeks! I'm computer, gamer, mathematics, hacker geek type!

For those who think bad of geeks, here is their definition.

The definition of geek
The definition of geek has changed considerably over time, and there is no longer any modern definite meaning. The social and rather derogatory connotations of the word make it particularly difficult to define. A definition common among self-identified geeks is: "one who is primarily motivated by passion," indicating somebody whose reasoning and decision making is always first and foremost based on his/her passions rather than things like financial reward or social acceptance. Geeks do not see the typical "geeky" interests as merely interesting, but as objects of passionate devotion. The idea that the pursuit of personal passions should be the fundamental driving force to all decisions could be considered the most basic shared tenet among geeks of all varieties. Geeks consider such pursuits to be their own defining characteristic.[citation needed]

A person who is interested in technology, especially computing and new media. Comparable with the classic definition of hacker.
A person who relates academic subjects to the real world outside of academic studies — for example, using multi-variable calculus to determine how they should correctly optimize the dimensions of a pan to bake a cake.
A person who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one who pursues skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not mainstream social acceptance. Geeks usually have a strong case of neophilia (a love of novelty and new things). Most geeks are adept with computers and treat "hacker" as a term of respect, but not all are hackers themselves — and some who actually are hackers normally call themselves geeks anyway, because they regard "hacker" as a label that should be bestowed by others rather than self-assumed.
A person with a devotion to something in a way that places him or her outside the mainstream. This could be due to the intensity, depth, or subject of their interest. This definition is very broad, and allows for mathematics geeks, engineering geeks, sci-fi geeks, computer geeks, various science geeks, movie and film geeks (cinephile), comics geeks, theatre geeks, history geeks, gamer geeks, music geeks, art geeks, SCA geeks, literature geeks.
G.E.E.K., as an acronym, reputedly came from the United States Military; it stands for General Electrical Engineering Knowledge. It is likely a backronym.
A derogatory term for one with low social skills, regardless of intelligence.
A performer at a carnival who swallows various live animals and bugs.
A person who rejects society, yet is involved in it — unlike and in contrast to a hermit. (This is generally used to also mean someone with high intelligence.)
Natasha Chen Christensen quotes Julie Smith: "a bright young man turned inward, poorly socialized, who felt so little kinship with his own planet that he routinely traveled to the ones invented by his favorite authors, who thought of that secret, dreamy place his computer took him to as cyberspace -- somewhere exciting, a place more real than his own life, a land he could conquer, not a drab teenager's room in his parents' house."[2]
Words such as nerd and dork are similar to the word "geek", but carry different connotations. It could be said that the particular interests of nerds are of practical nature (like math, physics, astronomy), while those of geeks are often considered trivial but entertaining.

MrCent 11-09-2007 11:43 PM

I'm a gamer.

Hyakushi 11-10-2007 04:43 AM

I like music/art geeks there pretty much laid back the rest are TightA%&es but hey thats only what I think :rolleyes:

Visluz 11-12-2007 09:03 PM

Nanobyte I bet you watch too much hentai huh?

nah I love film geeks. I once date a geek of videos games and film, wow is was fantastic. Hahahaha:rolleyes:

W1ndWaker 11-12-2007 09:05 PM

Technology geeks ftw! Once we master technology, we will have robot girlfriends and amass a robot army, with which we shall rule!

Powermad147 11-12-2007 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visluz (Post 293421)

Did anyone else find that comment to be a bit...sudden? xD

Powermad147 11-12-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W1ndWaker (Post 293424)
Technology geeks ftw! Once we master technology, we will have robot girlfriends and amass a robot army, with which we shall rule!

YAAA!!! Wait...I'm a gamer geek...If you guys rule the world one day, remember to build me a robo-girl, neh? :vsign:

Crelrn 11-12-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

YAY!!! Technology geeks FTW :D

Nanobyte 11-12-2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visluz (Post 293421)

nah I love film geeks. I once date a geek of videos games and film, wow is was fantastic. Hahahaha:rolleyes:

Much hentai? I even don't know what is that! And yes Yay for Tech Geeks, especially computer Geeks or Hackers ahahahahah! We will rule the world and make Cyborgs to be changed by girls!

Crelrn 11-12-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanobyte (Post 293437)
Much hentai? I even don't know what is that! And yes Yay for Tech Geeks, especially computer Geeks or Hackers ahahahahah!

I'm a hacker, hehe...:)

Visluz 11-12-2007 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanobyte (Post 293437)
Much hentai? I even don't know what is that! And yes Yay for Tech Geeks, especially computer Geeks or Hackers ahahahahah! We will rule the world and make Cyborgs to be changed by girls!

This remind me of Chobits. Cool then make me a android male for me in the future! Hahahahaha XD

Hey, but humans become old, and robot not.

danielle911 11-13-2007 03:23 PM

dunno which should i vote..
i love all~~ =X

Nanobyte 11-13-2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielle911 (Post 293915)
dunno which should i vote..
i love all~~ =X

Cool you love all geeks lol! For me i think is cool being Geek!

QuoyaNatsume 11-14-2007 12:27 AM

I like movie & film geeks:mtongue:

NanteNa 11-14-2007 05:51 PM

Music-geek. XD Yush. That's ma area. *smirk*

Nanobyte 11-14-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuoyaNatsume (Post 294390)
I like movie & film geeks:mtongue:

Movie Geeks? Never saw them, can you tell me a name of some?

Wyverian 11-14-2007 10:20 PM

I am a writer so that kinda limits what I can choose now doesn't it? LOL

Katchan6 11-14-2007 10:57 PM

i chose hackers lol

but i love sci-fi movies :vsign:

music geeks are good too
but i am one anyway

Nanobyte 11-15-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katchan6 (Post 295368)
i chose hackers lol

but i love sci-fi movies :vsign:

music geeks are good too
but i am one anyway

Yeah hackers, hackers are computer geeks lol thats me! i like maths geeks too!

Traitain 11-26-2007 10:02 AM

Well as far as geekiness gones I suppose you could call me a gamer geek. I've gamed since I can remember, first started in the arcades with games like Space Invaders when I was so small I could barely reach the controls or see the screen, then I got an Atari 2600 then the Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive, Playstation 1 & 2 and now the Xbox 360 and PC.
Yeah I've always gamed, I don't really watch telly and I like reading occasionally but other than that gaming is my main form of entertainment. Tried to watch anime once or twice but I just couldn't stomach it, all they do is talk and talk and emo and talk. Annoying.

Housetek 11-26-2007 10:04 AM

if you can chill around and quote movies all day with me, then your Okay in my book!:vsign:

Thunda 11-26-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Housetek (Post 309307)
if you can chill around and quote movies all day with me, then your Okay in my book!:vsign:

That's why a geek is a geek man. They can't hang wit people.

Nanobyte 11-26-2007 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunda (Post 309440)
That's why a geek is a geek man. They can't hang wit people.

What do you know about that?

Katia 01-18-2008 06:40 AM

i like the computer, hacker and games type of geeks (i know lots of them) cause then we have lots in common xD

and i have fun introducing them to society and *gasp* girls!

Yuri 01-18-2008 06:48 AM

im computer/games geek, the comics geek and music/arts geek. im all over

Yuna7780 01-20-2008 05:17 AM

Theatre geeks. I love the stage and I think all the guys in my chorus and drama club at school are really cute. :3

Laine 01-20-2008 05:48 AM

I like music/art geeks. They seem to be the type to actually leave their home to go to art museums, live shows, etc. Although that can lead to an elitist attitude, but eh, I'm good at curbing people's egos.

I don't know which of the categories I fit into, though :\

Amnell 01-20-2008 05:53 AM

Cyber-ninjas (hackers) are definitely the coolest, but I identify more with the Sci-fi/Science/Engineering geeks, so that's my vote (all one of them XD ) .

Actually, I take it all back; the most awesomest geeks of any geek-type out there are martial arts geeks. The ones the by the time they're 25 they have a dozen black belts in as many arts. They pwn!!1!:cool:

Uriko 01-20-2008 07:07 AM

the intelligent kind of geek that isn't full of himself. not the one who necessarily gets good grades & high test scores. someone i could talk to without thinking that he's stupid.

MaverickOtaku 01-23-2008 06:36 PM

Gotto be Comix/Manga lovin geek chic into RPGs & Cos-play :P

MissMisa 06-07-2008 08:01 AM

Gamer geeks ftw <3

I hate sci-fi so that's a no no.

Senshi 06-15-2008 06:12 AM

Gamer, former otaku, former techie, current writer, current college student, researcher, language geek, travel aficionado, and general college nerd (the guy you ask questions about school when you have an intractable problem.. that's me ;).

In short... I fall under the 'computer' and 'art' categories, and part of my heart is in both camps, but I LOVE writing, and I hate rules, so that rules out tech and science somewhat.

Anyway if there's a Japanese/Asian trivia thread, I'm there! :)

bhl88 06-15-2008 10:47 AM

Gamer geek and loves anime and manga as much as an anime otaku XD

Konata FTW, goddess of otaku ^^

SakeSan 06-15-2008 10:52 AM

I'm a real Sci-fi geek, but I also love anime/manga/video games.:vsign:

JoshAussie 06-15-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

hahahaha classic...

im a gamer.... no RPG tho... bring on the shoot em ups... COD4!
bit of an arty geek too but photography/editing >< not drawing.. alltho i wish i could draw
i also play guitar and drums ><

strawberryshinya 06-15-2008 02:17 PM

i want a literature geek...(for Xmas...lol XD)

well i think theyre the best. mainly because im one. ^_^

TalnSG 06-15-2008 03:24 PM

That seemed like a logical poll till I tried to select one.
I am a reformed computer geek; but it had nothing to do with math, hacking or games at all. And the ex was a math/computer geek. As in 5 desktops and 2 networks for 2 people BEFORE internet was associated witht he term "web".

I am a lifelong theatre geek on the technical & design side, not performance. Yet any attraction to that type is a fleeting as their time in the spotlight. Those egos get old fast, unless they are a techie.

And where is the option for sociology, life-styles, history geek that I like spending time with?

reihiino 06-15-2008 03:58 PM

I've always thought the definition of a geek was a carnival performer who would bite heads off chickens...perhaps I was wrong. but I digress...
I would choose a music, art, sca, lit geek...but any geek that likes to go outside & socialize once in a while...oh yes I would definetly have a soft spot for a geek like that (but then geeks, nerds, dorks, et. al are one of my main weaknesses in a man :D)...& as always a geek that wears glasses are on top of my list...

LittleFallenAngel 06-15-2008 04:06 PM

Hmmmm...
I would like the music geek...
and err.. lets see...^^
Actualy I don't mind which geek=o.
aslong as he has a great personality XD..

strawberryshinya 06-15-2008 06:05 PM

yeah me too! i want one w/ a great personality! XD well...they all have one i bet.