JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: What type of Geek you prefer?
computer, gamer,mathematics, hacker geeks 32 34.78%
engineering, sci-fi, science geeks 9 9.78%
movie and film geeks 12 13.04%
comics geeks 6 6.52%
theatre geeks 3 3.26%
music, art, SCA, literature. 30 32.61%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nanobyte (Offline)
Banned

What type of Geek you prefer? - 11-09-2007, 08:36 PM

Where some types of Geeks! I'm computer, gamer, mathematics, hacker geek type!

For those who think bad of geeks, here is their definition.

The definition of geek
The definition of geek has changed considerably over time, and there is no longer any modern definite meaning. The social and rather derogatory connotations of the word make it particularly difficult to define. A definition common among self-identified geeks is: "one who is primarily motivated by passion," indicating somebody whose reasoning and decision making is always first and foremost based on his/her passions rather than things like financial reward or social acceptance. Geeks do not see the typical "geeky" interests as merely interesting, but as objects of passionate devotion. The idea that the pursuit of personal passions should be the fundamental driving force to all decisions could be considered the most basic shared tenet among geeks of all varieties. Geeks consider such pursuits to be their own defining characteristic.[citation needed]

A person who is interested in technology, especially computing and new media. Comparable with the classic definition of hacker.
A person who relates academic subjects to the real world outside of academic studies — for example, using multi-variable calculus to determine how they should correctly optimize the dimensions of a pan to bake a cake.
A person who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one who pursues skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not mainstream social acceptance. Geeks usually have a strong case of neophilia (a love of novelty and new things). Most geeks are adept with computers and treat "hacker" as a term of respect, but not all are hackers themselves — and some who actually are hackers normally call themselves geeks anyway, because they regard "hacker" as a label that should be bestowed by others rather than self-assumed.
A person with a devotion to something in a way that places him or her outside the mainstream. This could be due to the intensity, depth, or subject of their interest. This definition is very broad, and allows for mathematics geeks, engineering geeks, sci-fi geeks, computer geeks, various science geeks, movie and film geeks (cinephile), comics geeks, theatre geeks, history geeks, gamer geeks, music geeks, art geeks, SCA geeks, literature geeks.
G.E.E.K., as an acronym, reputedly came from the United States Military; it stands for General Electrical Engineering Knowledge. It is likely a backronym.
A derogatory term for one with low social skills, regardless of intelligence.
A performer at a carnival who swallows various live animals and bugs.
A person who rejects society, yet is involved in it — unlike and in contrast to a hermit. (This is generally used to also mean someone with high intelligence.)
Natasha Chen Christensen quotes Julie Smith: "a bright young man turned inward, poorly socialized, who felt so little kinship with his own planet that he routinely traveled to the ones invented by his favorite authors, who thought of that secret, dreamy place his computer took him to as cyberspace -- somewhere exciting, a place more real than his own life, a land he could conquer, not a drab teenager's room in his parents' house."[2]
Words such as nerd and dork are similar to the word "geek", but carry different connotations. It could be said that the particular interests of nerds are of practical nature (like math, physics, astronomy), while those of geeks are often considered trivial but entertaining.

Last edited by Nanobyte : 11-09-2007 at 08:43 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MrCent (Offline)
JF Regular

11-09-2007, 11:43 PM

I'm a gamer.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Hyakushi (Offline)
Ikaga desu ka!?

11-10-2007, 04:43 AM

I like music/art geeks there pretty much laid back the rest are TightA%&es but hey thats only what I think

I'm not racist . . . I hate everyone equally.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Visluz (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Visluz Send a message via Yahoo to Visluz
11-12-2007, 09:03 PM

Nanobyte I bet you watch too much hentai huh?

nah I love film geeks. I once date a geek of videos games and film, wow is was fantastic. Hahahaha
(#5 (permalink))
Old
W1ndWaker (Offline)
New to JF

11-12-2007, 09:05 PM

Technology geeks ftw! Once we master technology, we will have robot girlfriends and amass a robot army, with which we shall rule!

"A delayed game is good eventually, a bad game is bad forever" - Shigeru Miyamoto
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Powermad147 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-12-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visluz View Post

Did anyone else find that comment to be a bit...sudden? xD

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Powermad147 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-12-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1ndWaker View Post
Technology geeks ftw! Once we master technology, we will have robot girlfriends and amass a robot army, with which we shall rule!
YAAA!!! Wait...I'm a gamer geek...If you guys rule the world one day, remember to build me a robo-girl, neh?

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Crelrn (Offline)
クレルんノホノオ

11-12-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1ndWaker View Post
YAY!!! Technology geeks FTW
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nanobyte (Offline)
Banned

11-12-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visluz View Post

nah I love film geeks. I once date a geek of videos games and film, wow is was fantastic. Hahahaha
Much hentai? I even don't know what is that! And yes Yay for Tech Geeks, especially computer Geeks or Hackers ahahahahah! We will rule the world and make Cyborgs to be changed by girls!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Crelrn (Offline)
クレルんノホノオ

11-12-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanobyte View Post
Much hentai? I even don't know what is that! And yes Yay for Tech Geeks, especially computer Geeks or Hackers ahahahahah!
I'm a hacker, hehe...