JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Alastor (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Idea - JapanForum Creativity & Arts Newsletter! - 04-17-2008, 06:39 PM

I've been pondering over this idea for a little while now, and I think we need to encourage art and creativity in that subforum - especially written art. I know there's no lack of drawn/painted art, but fiction and poetry are few and far between. I think I have an interesting idea:

JapanForum's Creativity & Arts

NEWSLETTER

Monthly Issue

* A nice first page, with a headline and some stuff featured in the Newsletter.
* Four sections: Visual Arts; Written Art; Other; Articles
* Visual Arts will include drawn images, painted images, sculptured art, photography, graphic design and similar.
* Written Art will include short stories, fiction and poetry.
* Artworks that are of other nature that may include or exclude on or more of the previouly mentioned artforms (e.g. videos, music, etc.) goes here.
* Articles will include the rest, such as reviews, announcements, interviews, etc. Announcements include (but are not restricted to) big changes in JapanForum, upcoming projects and competitions. The articles do not always have to be about arts or anything related.

I would personally like to be actively involved should the Newsletter become reality. I'm asking here because I would like it to become sort of an official part of JapanForum. I think this could work really well, and it would be a neat thing to have while also encouraging members to improve, and increase activity due to wanting to (having a desire for?) being mentioned in the Newsletter.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Alastor (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-14-2008, 10:07 AM

It's been almost a month, and the thread has more than 500 views. Isn't that enough to warrant a response from a member of the JF crew? I think it's a tad rude to just leave the thread be with no response whatsoever, unless no one with the power to make these decisions has seen this thread.

Oh well. Here's to hoping I'll get a reply.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Hiroki (Offline)
BANNED

05-14-2008, 10:09 AM

You got a cool concept here, and I would be happy too if someone respond here.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

05-14-2008, 12:34 PM

That would be really cool, I think some people need encouragement to post on here, I like seeing other peoples work and a newsletter would bring it together nicely. I was going to post some of my writing but I couldn't really find a thread suitable for short stories, just poems and songwriting so I guess a thread should be made for that too.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-14-2008, 12:56 PM

While a newsletter might generate more interest and participation, I personally don't want any more email (unless its personal). Its why I participate in forums rather than chain mail. It could also shift priorities for some writers that would otherwise be posting.

Nice to see you are thinking about ways to generate interest, but I am against it.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Alastor (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-17-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
While a newsletter might generate more interest and participation, I personally don't want any more email (unless its personal). Its why I participate in forums rather than chain mail. It could also shift priorities for some writers that would otherwise be posting.

Nice to see you are thinking about ways to generate interest, but I am against it.

Are you against it solely because you assume the newsletter would be PM'ed to you? I don't think it's supposed to be delivered to you, it's just going to be put up, and whoever wants to read will read. Although the PM thing is a nice idea. You could subscribe if you'd like, and get the NL delivered to your inbox.

Regardless, I can't see why you would be against it since it's not a bad thing for the community as a whole ^_^ hehe. My initial idea was to just put it up.

So, can we get any feedback on this from soemone who can make it happen?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tsuyako (Offline)
Milkshake critic <3

Send a message via MSN to Tsuyako Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuyako
06-18-2008, 04:01 PM

I think it's a good idea it will give people a chance to take part in something and show their skills.
For the people who are against it, if it did go ahead, maybe there should be the option whether to receive it or not.
I'm a writer and it would be really cool to show people some of my work XD

~Tsuyako~
つや子
If music be the food of love, play on

www.myspace.com/strawberrymilkshake1992
(#8 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-18-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Are you against it solely because you assume the newsletter would be PM'ed to you? I don't think it's supposed to be delivered to you, it's just going to be put up, and whoever wants to read will read. Although the PM thing is a nice idea. You could subscribe if you'd like, and get the NL delivered to your inbox.
Yes, when it was referred to as a "newsletter" I expected it to be mailed - either PM or private email. I also hoped it would be subscriber based.
But I have seen such well intended efforts on other forums decrease the posting activity on their forums by shifting the user interests when they are mailed separately.

If you are going to post it on the forum I may be dense, but what's the difference between that and a thread in Member Art & Creativity?

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.

Last edited by TalnSG : 06-18-2008 at 05:12 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
06-18-2008, 07:19 PM

I think it's unnecessary work for the mods running it.
o.O
Also it's unfair to people who's works don't get mentioned.
That's just not right.
Besides this is Japan forum not Art Forum.
It'll completely distract people from the main purpose of this forum.

Although I do believe the creativity section should be divided into seperate forums for better organization.

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
(#10 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

06-18-2008, 10:43 PM

I perosnally think that the creativity forum is a pretty big mess at the moment. If that was sorted out, with stickied threads.

e.g:
Photoshop thread-requests/display
Manga art thread
Art thread
Sketch thread.

[not realy suggestions, but you can take 'em if you like]

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"