JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
koaku (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-03-2008, 06:06 PM

Ok so i want everybody on JF stop using the word "OWN" Im not using it..and i see a lot of JF Girl using it for Jrocker...These Jrocker are Human not Robot they deserve more respect and they are "owned" by People..

I Honestly, seriously and truly.....don't care about U
(#22 (permalink))
Old
clairebear (Offline)

06-03-2008, 06:07 PM

So Jrock fangirls apparently aren't allowed to joke or have fun with any words anymore...
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
06-03-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairebear View Post
If there was a person on here who was a victim of rape and requested us to stop using it because they genuinely were offended, then we would stop...
I'm not a victim of rape but I am bothered by the misuse of this term, like a lot of other people here who have also asked in a polite manner to cut it off once and for all. It is offensive, even for people who have never been through such experience, but if it has to be someone who's actually been raped, I know more than one person on here that could do it.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#24 (permalink))
Old
koaku (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-03-2008, 06:14 PM

i dont think you "rape" someone because you heard it or use it on internet..

First from the moment you rape someone ... you have already a serious problem because (sorry for using this word) but you need need to be mentaly reached and had big ball..

I Honestly, seriously and truly.....don't care about U
(#25 (permalink))
Old
clairebear (Offline)

06-03-2008, 06:15 PM

Well then I might as well ask everyone all over the world to never say "I'll kill you" as a joke as it offends me.

And also, I would like to ask Achmed the dead terrorist to stop threatening to kill people, and Jeff Dunham should not joke about terrorism.

Mmmkay, sarcasm over.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-03-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
If there was a person on here who was a victim of rape and requested us to stop using it because they genuinely were offended, then we would stop...

Ok, we can go that route. I will speak up because there are probably other victims who aren't comfortable speaking up and they are the ones we need to be concerned for - not me.

Though it has nothing whatsoever to do with why I object to how the term is being used here, I am genuinely offended and I was the victim of rape attemtps in 1968 and again in 1976. Need any more details? They are on file with law enforcement officials in Mississippi and Texas.

Actually I find the jokes uncomfortable because I have witnessed what this sort of flippant disregard in conversation for the matter has on people who were more traumatized than I was. Joking about this matter can cause a rape victim to compound the emotional trauma with feeling that their reactions to the rape are unhealthy because others are able to laugh about rapes.

Its nothing like joking about murder where everyone knows its wrong. There are entire cultures that still condone rape and many people even in western countries who continue to blame the victim.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Daisuki13 (Offline)
かわいい

06-03-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koaku View Post
Ok so i want everybody on JF stop using the word "OWN" Im not using it..and i see a lot of JF Girl using it for Jrocker...These Jrocker are Human not Robot they deserve more respect and they are "owned" by People..
Ne, people just use it for fun.
It's not to be taken personally.
And a lot of the time, they want to 'Own' the person becuase they may actually be in love with them.
For ex., me with Kyo.
I'm and love with him, so I get to borrow him from his owner from time to time.
It's just something fun the Fangirls like to do.
Don't ruin our fun : D

and hopefully I'll stay in your heart

I'm barely on this :3
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

06-04-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Ok, we can go that route. I will speak up because there are probably other victims who aren't comfortable speaking up and they are the ones we need to be concerned for - not me.

Though it has nothing whatsoever to do with why I object to how the term is being used here, I am genuinely offended and I was the victim of rape attemtps in 1968 and again in 1976. Need any more details? They are on file with law enforcement officials in Mississippi and Texas.

Actually I find the jokes uncomfortable because I have witnessed what this sort of flippant disregard in conversation for the matter has on people who were more traumatized than I was. Joking about this matter can cause a rape victim to compound the emotional trauma with feeling that their reactions to the rape are unhealthy because others are able to laugh about rapes.

Its nothing like joking about murder where everyone knows its wrong. There are entire cultures that still condone rape and many people even in western countries who continue to blame the victim.
I don't believe we're joking about it, but I see your point, also.

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#29 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

06-04-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
So Jrock fangirls apparently aren't allowed to joke or have fun with any words anymore...
There is another issue that we have foreign people on here that do not understand the term rape because it has been used in a joking way, so they think that it is actually a humourous term. We have to remember that this is a language forum and using terms in this way can be confusing for foreign members learning English and it's not good that they are understanding the term 'rape' in a joking way. If they mentioned it anywhere else I think people would be pretty shocked. Even if you don't believe in the morals behind it, such as offending people and so on, this is another issue to consider.

Last edited by MissMisa : 06-04-2008 at 08:18 AM.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
06-04-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post

Actually I find the jokes uncomfortable because I have witnessed what this
sort of flippant disregard in conversation for the matter has on people who were more traumatized than I was. Joking about this matter can cause a rape victim to compound the emotional trauma with feeling that their reactions to the rape are unhealthy because others are able to laugh about rapes.

Thank you.

The thing is guys no one should have to confess to being raped in order for you to stop using it. That's just sick of you guys to take it to that level.

Go ahead and joke around all you want I don't care, however replacing the word rape with sex still gets the joke out and doesn't offend anyone near as much.

You are mocking rape. Rape is a painful thing so me and others are kindly asking you guys to stop.
I have approached several members about their usage and I get the same response, " I was just kidding" or " Don't take it seriously"
Regardless of what you say I do take it serious because it is serious.
Just like you don't bad mouth God in church you shouldn't make fun of rape around potential rape victims.
It's common manners.

And Claire if you have a problem with other words PM the people using them or make a suggestion thread of your own.

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Closed Thread