(#11 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

Send a message via MSN to Excessum Send a message via Skype™ to Excessum
07-24-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
Post limit before you can make a new thread is the easiest way to dampen the spam and least harmful to legit people joining the forums
Then again. Why do people join these kind of forums in the 1st place? To ask a question. What will they do if they wont be able to do so? Either ask it in already existing thread, which will make it less likely to be answered, or just leave the forum.

And as you can perfectly see from the recent past events, spammers are perfectly capable of spamming up already existing threads (as well as the calendar), so not letting them make new threads is not solving the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post
I also like the idea of having to make someone wait in between thread creation/post making.

It's actually a good idea, unless we remember the fact that they can use several accounts at the same time

Last edited by Excessum : 07-24-2008 at 01:19 AM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
SoundSev3n (Offline)
JF Regular

07-24-2008, 01:23 AM

actually, if there was a 24 hour wait, new members would be more likely to read all the stickies on rules and such. and also more likely to search the forums for answers that already exist.

might help with more than dick-headed spamming.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

07-24-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excessum View Post
Then again. Why do people join these kind of forums in the 1st place? To ask a question. What will they do if they wont be able to do so? Either ask it in already existing thread, which will make it less likely to be answered, or just leave the forum.

And as you can perfectly see from the recent past events, spammers are perfectly capable of spamming up already existing threads (as well as the calendar), so not letting them make new threads is not solving the problem.

It's actually a good idea, unless we remember the fact that they can use several accounts at the same time
Actually I frequent another forum (much larger than this one, but still) that has the 25 post before you can make a thread. It works perfectly fine. A lot of people find a thread that already asks their question, or end up learning other things while they get the required posts.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
SoundSev3n (Offline)
JF Regular

07-24-2008, 01:35 AM

how often do admins check the site?
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

07-24-2008, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Actually I frequent another forum (much larger than this one, but still) that has the 25 post before you can make a thread. It works perfectly fine. A lot of people find a thread that already asks their question, or end up learning other things while they get the required posts.
Does that other forum also cover as much different topics as this one?

(#16 (permalink))
Old
SoundSev3n (Offline)
JF Regular

07-24-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastFortnight View Post
It seems that the last time Eki has been here was on 17th Jun.
oh wow... not too often then lol :P
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

07-24-2008, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Does that other forum also cover as much different topics as this one?
Maybe even more, if not about the same.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

07-24-2008, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Maybe even more, if not about the same.
Hmm... well i guess it could serve as a motivation for newcomers to do a little research before posting. And screen out those who have nothing serious to ask/say... though i do remember stumbling across several of these kind of forums and i just went to a different place, since i needed the help only on my particular question (which was nowhere covered in the existing threads) and was not willing to engage in-to post count boosting (spamming)... so yeah... it's just another of those rarely found sticks that has two ends.

(#19 (permalink))
Old
Slykaz1 (Offline)
Tengoku!

Send a message via MSN to Slykaz1 Send a message via Yahoo to Slykaz1
07-24-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Hmm... well i guess it could serve as a motivation for newcomers to do a little research before posting. And screen out those who have nothing serious to ask/say... though i do remember stumbling across several of these kind of forums and i just went to a different place, since i needed the help only on my particular question (which was nowhere covered in the existing threads) and was not willing to engage in-to post count boosting (spamming)... so yeah... it's just another of those rarely found sticks that has two ends.

I agree....most newcomers start a new thread without even bothering to research if their question can be answered in some thread that had already been started. There should be a post count limit for starting a thread.

Property of Eiri & Pexster
Virtual Boyfriend...Hyakushi in *Indian suit*

Eiri - 41 : Rojjin -43 : Sly - 121 : Yuna7780 - 57 : reihino - 14 : Crani - 22 : Ramones1976 - 0 : AnimeBaby112 - 3 : Arikado - 1 : KikiBunny23 - 3 : Pexter -0
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Odin (Offline)
Lord of the Æsir

Send a message via ICQ to Odin Send a message via AIM to Odin Send a message via MSN to Odin Send a message via Yahoo to Odin Send a message via Skype™ to Odin
07-24-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingAndres View Post
The IP-Ban is a good suggestion and it would stop them for probably.good ideas 2
An IP ban is a useless tactic. It is not hard at all to acquire a new IP address within a few minutes with most internet connections, because they are dynamically assigned.

The Honored of Valhöll are: Acidreptile: my spiritual brother, smilexfreak7: milaya moya sestra Tsuzuki: my dark goddess,
=Kanji: the eternal wanderer, Zenit: future world conquer, Michieru: self proclaimed mastermind of genius
and the rest of my family in the
~+VaMpiRe ClAn+~