JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
SoundSev3n (Offline)
JF Regular

08-03-2008, 01:54 AM

It does seem that there is room for improvement on the forum as far as either the number of/abilities of moderators.

People like these spammers can be stopped in a matter of minutes (or seconds depending on coincidental sign in times) if there were more people watching the forums with the ability to ban users/delete posts.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
JoshAussie (Offline)
わかりません

The Spam Plan. - 08-03-2008, 02:44 AM

So.. i duno about the rest of you guys and girls, but im really sick of the sicko spammers.

I have a harsh but awesome plan.

So hear me out before you say "NO!"

I suggest after creating 2 threads making the wait time between making a third thread 10 minutes, and if you post one within 5 minutes after that 10 minutes it should go up to 15 minutes etc. i think this would cut down spam considerably. for example. "Smarties" created approximately 40 threads. But what if he had to wait 10 - 15 minutes after creating a second thread. he might make it to like 5 before giving up?

And its not like its going to cause any trouble for real JF users, i mean its not everyday you really want to create 3 threads within 15 minutes of each other right? If your a real JF user the wait time would be no hassle.

OK now for the last bit. This would only be for creating new threads. there wouldnt be any penalty for posting alot. Because that could be a hassle for real members aswell and we dont want that. BUT the spammer would either have to post in his own thread (to keep it alive, because he cant keep creating new ones.) or he would have to post in other peoples threads.

BUT!!!! the good thing about this is! Tho the "ignore" button is usefull. it wont stop showing his created threads on the homepage right? if he has to post in other people threads and your ignoring him. all the threads on the main page or going to be legitimate threads. which means his not going to get the satisfactory from seeing the main page covered with his topic names.

Anyway just a thought. Something needs to be implemented tho to stop the spam.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
ACN (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to ACN
08-03-2008, 09:46 PM

Many standard forums have 3min pr.new thread if I remeber right,
but is it better that he spams other ppls threads then just make new threads that ppl never will even visit?
(#34 (permalink))
Old
JoshAussie (Offline)
わかりません

08-04-2008, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACN View Post
Many standard forums have 3min pr.new thread if I remeber right,
but is it better that he spams other ppls threads then just make new threads that ppl never will even visit?
Depends i guess, if he spams created threads it destroys the main page. + even if you have him on ignore it will still show his created threads. and people do visit and reply to them.. if people put a spammer on ignore it still shows all his created threads. if youv noticed they hardly post at all. by creating new threads its forcing people to see them.

If he spams other people threads but his on ignore, it wont wreck the main page. The ignore button works best only for not showing posts, not threads.

the only other solution i could think of that may be better is improving the ignore button so it doesnt show the created threads on the main Page created by someone on your ignore list. but i think you should still be able to see them if you go into the topics.

for example. if someone is on your ignore list (it doesnt matter if theyre a spammer or not) you just dont like them. and they create a new thread (say in the Anime Managa section) it shoulldnt show for you on the main page. but if you go into the anime manga section you should be able to see it.

that way if you ignore a spammer it wont show theyre threads on the main page (for everyone that has them on ignore) but if youv just ignored a real JF user you dont like, you wont have to take them off your ignore list to see theyre threads if you go into the right section.

so if you like anime manga and you go into that topic you should be able to see the threads even people on your ignore list make.

that would keep the main page clean to some extent anyway.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

Posting: How to get people to ignore your posts. - 08-05-2008, 02:06 AM

This is a bit of a rant thread but it still fits the section. I've noticed a slight trend to happen on JF more than other forums: posting in small font that's bright colours.

Yea, simple. Don't do it if you want your posts to get ignored. It's hard to read and hurts your eyes. I'm not sure about other people but when I see someone post in brightly coloured small font on a white background I don't even bother reading it and ignore it.

Sure you're trying to be unique and that's fine for you. Please though... make sure people can read it? I mean fuchsia, cyan, or bright purple on a white background? Sorry that's just annoying.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular. Though I'm sure someone here will think so. It's a general thing though. So if you feel "targeted" that's your fault.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-05-2008, 02:24 AM

Lol glad I'm not the only one who hates it. I highlight the words with my mouse and squint. I guess the general idea of the sentence instead of hurting my eyes and head reading the whole thing.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

08-05-2008, 12:12 PM

That's not the same at all, and I don't think you took the time to read everything. I said it's great that people want to be unique but make it in something people can read.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

08-05-2008, 12:24 PM

Agree 100%

なんでやねん!
(#39 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-05-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastFortnight View Post
I wasn't talking about things that are hard to read, of course people need to write in plain English with fonts easy to read, but other than that there's no need to complain about such things. There's more important things to discuss.
There's always going to be more important things to discuss. But if that was the case what's the point of a forum? Every single thread on this forum could be ended with "shut up, there's more important things to discuss"
(#40 (permalink))
Old
JoshAussie (Offline)
わかりません

08-14-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rina26 View Post
There's always going to be more important things to discuss. But if that was the case what's the point of a forum? Every single thread on this forum could be ended with "shut up, there's more important things to discuss"
lol yeah. Not to mention the site suggestion area only getting like 1 post a week.