JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

Arrow Increase of spammers lately - 07-23-2008, 09:51 PM

I have an idea. It won't help stop this, but it might slow it down a little.

What if, after you confirm your account via email, you have to wait 24 hours before you can post? I know this is a forum, therefore you would want to post sooner, but if banned people make more accounts, the point of banning them is lost.

I'm saying this because I want people to enjoy this forum, not claw their eyes out after seeing some of its members' posts.

Yes, maybe this was not a good idea, in which case you can remove my thread. Just please listen to this.

Or you can IP-ban the offending members. I'm just unsure if you want to take a measure that extreme.

Avatar credit to Tejou from Digik Designs
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kingAndres (Offline)
is in Spain....

Send a message via MSN to kingAndres Send a message via Yahoo to kingAndres
07-23-2008, 10:16 PM

The IP-Ban is a good suggestion and it would stop them for probably.good ideas 2

Try to learn a new thing everyday to help you grow.

Family
kurtfu22= Sister
MonsterMonster= B sis
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SoundSev3n (Offline)
JF Regular

07-23-2008, 10:22 PM

I may be new to the forums but would be more than happy to mod parts of the site to squash so much of the spam we've been getting. I'm at my computer at home, work and school and visit quite often all times of the day.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
07-23-2008, 10:34 PM

IP-band sounds like the most efficient solution but some forums don't have that option (not sure that's the case with JF). If all users had to wait 24 hours before being able to make their first post, most spammers wouldn't think it's worth the time and would just go away, I think Kajitsu's is a good idea.

[Kanji is not on msn at the moment and neither is CoolNard, so it might be a while before the user + all of his posts are deleted].

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SoundSev3n (Offline)
JF Regular

07-23-2008, 10:35 PM

I think being dumb is sort of a strong attribute of these spammers... and if they're willing to put so much effort into spamming they will be able to adapt to the 24 hour limit. However, a post number requirement before allowing pictures in posts may help with the type of spam we're experiencing. They may be able to post bullshit but at least not obscene images.

Maybe a mix of the two ideas would help!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

07-23-2008, 10:42 PM

It's easier and less of a piss off to make it so that you need say... 25 posts to post a new topic.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

Send a message via MSN to Excessum Send a message via Skype™ to Excessum
07-24-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajitsu View Post
What if, after you confirm your account via email, you have to wait 24 hours before you can post? I know this is a forum, therefore you would want to post sooner, but if banned people make more accounts, the point of banning them is lost.

Or you can IP-ban the offending members. I'm just unsure if you want to take a measure that extreme.
- You not only gave a suggestion, but already found out it's both weak spots straight away. 1 - What about the genuine users? I would have never been here, if i was told to wait for 24 hours, for instance. 2 - They can always make several accounts at once and then just use whenever they like to.

- IP ban is veeeery easy to circumvent, unless you are banning wide range of IP's, which could lead to banning out even whole countries.

There is, however, one (if not several) slightly efficient method, but it includes quite a lot of coding and forum database altering... meh... i am sorry, Eki, if you are reading this, but you are one lazy (or just too damn busy) admin >_<

(#8 (permalink))
Old
MarkDuff (Offline)
*yawns*

07-24-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajitsu View Post
I have an idea. It won't help stop this, but it might slow it down a little.

I'm saying this because I want people to enjoy this forum, not claw their eyes out after seeing some of its members' posts.

Yes, maybe this was not a good idea, in which case you can remove my thread. Just please listen to this.

The IP band is a very good Idea but sence Kanji isn't an Administer he can not issue one

My JF family and D.N.A. And Perv Club. Oh and please sign my Guest book. And please no bad comments
FINAL FANTASY CLAN: CODE NAME: AURON
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

07-24-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastFortnight View Post
Post 25 times, just to write a new thread? It's nonsense, the problem isn't the threads, it's the posts, specially the ones with images, maybe the idea of limit the post of images from time to time may work, but I think the IP ban with the wait time of 24 hours to post after got register might work better.
Wait you're saying 25 posts JUST to post a new thread is excessive, yet waiting 24 hours isn't?

The majority of the spams come from people joining and posting a bunch of topics in every section. Having people wait 24 hours to post won't really do much. The people who want to will just wait till tomorrow.

It doesn't have to be 25 posts, it could be less, or could be more. 25 was a random example. Not only does it encourage new members to participate in threads, but it prevents people joining and making spamvertising threads.

Having people wait 24 hours is, to some, going to seem like a big "f'off" to anyone new joining. People generally join forums and want to post right away. Some people would join see a 24 hour waiting period and forget they joined.

Post limit before you can make a new thread is the easiest way to dampen the spam and least harmful to legit people joining the forums

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

07-24-2008, 01:15 AM

You guys can suggest all the ideas you want, but nothing can be done about it until ShinjukuEki comes online and implements such rules.

But I think J-forums should have a little something that I have seen other forums do, all accounts have to be viewed and accepted before someone can even start posting.

I agree, a user should have to wait at least 24 hours before they can make their initial post, at least on here, since staff is limited.

I also like the idea of having to make someone wait in between thread creation/post making.