JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Site Suggestions (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/site-suggestions/)
-   -   Site upgrade? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/site-suggestions/39358-site-upgrade.html)

dxr 08-28-2011 02:38 AM

Site upgrade?

I didn't see any site suggestions type area, so I am gonna put this here unless a mod feels otherwise.

I remember before the last message update about the servers going down, there was a message about a new upgrade coming at some point.

What ever happened to that?

This board is pretty outdated, not to mention that it has no anti-bot/spammer software in place. It seems like the spam is out of control these days. I realize it has always been a problem, but it seems to be getting worse and worse.

Nyororin 08-28-2011 05:22 AM

The admin does not appear to be active at all.
The mods cannot do much of anything but run around cleaning up.

Also - spam is pretty much stable. We haven`t been getting any more recently... Actually, I would even be willing to say we`ve been getting less.

I too would love to see an update - but as the admin never comes and we have no good way to contact them... There is nothing that can be done.

dxr 08-28-2011 05:44 AM

No chance in the admin passing it on to one of you fine mods, eh?

I have been coming here in one form or another for a couple years now, and the spam seems just about the same if not more, but that's to me. I am sure you see more of the site than I do.

That said, compared to just about any site out there with updated forums, the spam is pretty significant.

Anyway, as you said, not much to be done. Just thought I would bring it up :)

evanny 08-28-2011 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 877782)
The admin does not appear to be active at all.
The mods cannot do much of anything but run around cleaning up.

Also - spam is pretty much stable. We haven`t been getting any more recently... Actually, I would even be willing to say we`ve been getting less.

I too would love to see an update - but as the admin never comes and we have no good way to contact them... There is nothing that can be done.

so the admin guy just cooks up a site, finds some moderators for it and then just goes his own way and collects money from ads he displays? i would think site dedicated to specific group of people would also have a dedicated admin.
ah.
well, at least it is working and a little spam isn't going to harm anyone.

Kayci 08-28-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evanny (Post 877787)
so the admin guy just cooks up a site, finds some moderators for it and then just goes his own way and collects money from ads he displays? i would think site dedicated to specific group of people would also have a dedicated admin.
ah.
well, at least it is working and a little spam isn't going to harm anyone.

He was dedicated...for awhile. Guess things got boring.

nobora 08-28-2011 08:18 PM

A upgrade would be nice. The spamming really got to me. Its happening alot in the photo area.

JohnBraden 08-28-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evanny (Post 877787)
and collects money from ads he displays?

As far as I know, I have never seen an ad on this site....

evanny 08-28-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBraden (Post 877832)
As far as I know, I have never seen an ad on this site....

hmm. i have adblock so i don't know, but i just presumed it had.

Nyororin 08-29-2011 03:31 AM

The ads are on another section of the site, it appears. Most people don't notice, but this site is a forum for Virtual Japan. You can find the link to it at the very very bottom of every page. There are ads there.

spicytuna 08-30-2011 05:18 AM

It would be nice to upgrade the vBulletin software to 3.7 or higher since it incorporates an image verification captcha during new user registration.

It's sad to see spam and registration bots on this forum when the fix is out there.