JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kurofune (Offline)
New to JF

Supporting other file types - 11-25-2006, 05:31 AM

Many people on the language forums are asking questions about topics that I've already written articles for. I'm developing a short Japanese curriculum for a site called otakugeeksquad.org . I would like to post some of my unpublished articles on the forums but cannot because .doc format is not supported. .txt butchers the document to near unreadability.

If it's not too much trouble I think support for the .doc format would help people communicate a little better.

Also, how do you go about using a custom avatar?

Thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

11-25-2006, 05:35 AM

After your 50th post the custom avatar option is unlocked in your profile.

As far as .doc files, why not host them on some other site and provide a download link?

You can surely provide a short summary of the article to incite us to download said article.

"Men, I do not order you to fight; I order you to die". ~ Mustapha Kemal at the Battle of Gallipoli
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Kurofune (Offline)
New to JF

11-25-2006, 05:44 AM

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll wait until the articles go live on the site that I'm developing for.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ShinjukuEki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-26-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurofune View Post
Many people on the language forums are asking questions about topics that I've already written articles for. I'm developing a short Japanese curriculum for a site called otakugeeksquad.org . I would like to post some of my unpublished articles on the forums but cannot because .doc format is not supported. .txt butchers the document to near unreadability.

If it's not too much trouble I think support for the .doc format would help people communicate a little better.

Also, how do you go about using a custom avatar?

Thanks
Hi Kurofune -

Thanks for the suggestion! I am not against allowing .doc files as attachments, I just didn't want some unknown user uploading some file with a script in it or something and causing problems. I have now (tried to) change the setting to make it so that users with more than 25 posts can upload a doc file of up to 100k. I hope that will fix both problems - you can upload the file and 25 posts might be enough so that people can get to know a user before deciding if they want to trust a doc file from them.

Sorry about the hassle!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Kurofune (Offline)
New to JF

12-02-2006, 11:14 PM

Thank you very much. I'll see about posting some of those articles.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
01-29-2007, 02:57 PM

Edited: Ok, i found out how -.-"

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.

Last edited by CoolNard : 02-12-2007 at 09:22 AM.