JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ShinjukuEki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Talking Japan Forum Wiki Intro - 09-23-2006, 05:15 PM

The Japan Forum Wiki was created with the idea of allowing JapanForum.com users to contribute to a project to help educate the world about Japan and Japanese culture. Whereas Japan Forum itself is a community, the wiki will become a resource created by the community and available to anyone from around the world who has an interest in finding out about Japan.

Here is a link to the wiki: Japan Forum Wiki

We can use this forum to discuss issues related to the managing the wiki - naming conventions, topics that need to be covered, categories that should be created, how to use the wiki format, etc.

Please do not copy information directly from any other site to put into Japan Forum Wiki as that would be a copyright violation. Along with all of the usual stuff on Japan, we want this wiki to be unique and full of information that other sites don't have.

Please report any problems you have with the wiki here so we can deal with them.

To edit pages, you just need to login with your existing JapanForum.com username and password.

This should be a lot of fun!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Yurichan (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Yurichan
01-02-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinjukuEki View Post
Please do not copy information directly from any other site to put into Japan Forum Wiki as that would be a copyright violation. Along with all of the usual stuff on Japan, we want this wiki to be unique and full of information that other sites don't have.
Maybe it's an idea to copy some information from Wikipedia into this new wiki. For example the information there about the country Japan is more detailed and wider. I believe Wikipedia is open source so you can use the information freely
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

01-02-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurichan View Post
Maybe it's an idea to copy some information from Wikipedia into this new wiki. For example the information there about the country Japan is more detailed and wider. I believe Wikipedia is open source so you can use the information freely
agreed; but so long as you expand upon the information - if its obvious its just a copy and paste job theres no point...

i should really have a proper look at this sometime, but no time atm... no time

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

01-08-2007, 04:02 PM

I tried to log on to edit the Wiki page, it said that my username didn't exist. Then I went to create one. It brought me back to JF and said that my username already existed... strange.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ShinjukuEki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-08-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post
I tried to log on to edit the Wiki page, it said that my username didn't exist. Then I went to create one. It brought me back to JF and said that my username already existed... strange.
The only thing I can think of is maybe the wiki doesn't like the underlines in your name? I will make a test user and see if that's the problem.

Sorry!

I will update this thread once I do the test.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ShinjukuEki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Username Problem - 01-08-2007, 05:36 PM

Yes, it seems it doesn't like the underlines in your username for some reason. I tried making test accounts with and without underlines and the one without worked fine, but the one with underlines didn't work. I'm not sure why that is. I will have to look into it and see what I can do to fix it.

Sorry again and thanks for finding the issue so I can work on it.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

01-08-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinjukuEki View Post
Yes, it seems it doesn't like the underlines in your username for some reason. I tried making test accounts with and without underlines and the one without worked fine, but the one with underlines didn't work. I'm not sure why that is. I will have to look into it and see what I can do to fix it.

Sorry again and thanks for finding the issue so I can work on it.
Thank you very much, I am looking forward to a resolution.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
tokyolite (Offline)
New to JF

06-27-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurichan View Post
If you do copy pages from wikipedia to expand on, I assume that the wikipedia pages won't show those changes right? And what about when the original wikipedia page is edited? The virtual Japan page won't show it.

Why not just edit and expand wikipedia?