JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Anime & Manga (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/)
-   -   Equivalent Exchange in the Real World (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/10556-equivalent-exchange-real-world.html)

Ryuuzaki 12-15-2007 03:13 AM

Equivalent Exchange in the Real World

I know this topic is discussed a lot, but I don't see any current threads on it here.

Do you believe that, in some way, Equivalent Exchange still applies to the real world?

I honestly believe it does, although it is always not apparent, nor does it apply to a single person or thing directly. Equivalent exchange has greater boundaries in the real world. Instead of just a specific person or object, it applies to everything related. Not everything given up or gained is material/physical either, you may lose/gain something material, but gain/lose something moral.

For example, although not always apparent, let's say you come down with a cold or flu, your first reaction is to get lots of rest. Although unwilling, you gave up your temporary well-being to gain sleep.

Now, before anyone uses it, the Lottery, sure, you only give up a dollar or two and gain a millon. What does that have to do with EE? What about the millions of dollars OTHERS had to give up? Is that still not Equivalent Exchange? Many people give up something so one person can gain it? It's still lose = gain.

Hyakushi 12-15-2007 03:19 AM

I think it applies somewhat but not fully. Hahahah I don't know how to say it.

Ryuuzaki 12-15-2007 03:28 AM

Basically you believe that although it's not Equivalent, it's still exchange? You still have to give up something to obtain, it's just not always of equal value. I can understand that, as it usually seems the case. But I am the type to see things deeper than they really are, that's probably why I see it as always Equivalent.

Hyakushi 12-15-2007 03:34 AM

Exactly I guess what I'm trying to say is something so simple could mean more to one person than the other. You hear a leaf fall but they hear a building fall, that kind of thing I guess.

QuoyaNatsume 12-15-2007 03:55 AM

I don't think so. It's like when some1 gives & gives & gives but yet gets nothing in return it's basically in vain.

Kenta21 12-16-2007 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryuuzaki (Post 326530)
Basically you believe that although it's not Equivalent, it's still exchange? You still have to give up something to obtain, it's just not always of equal value. I can understand that, as it usually seems the case. But I am the type to see things deeper than they really are, that's probably why I see it as always Equivalent.

Like your saying, in Equivalent exchange in order to gain the million you'll have to give up something of yours thats worth a million.

But i still see where everyone is coming from.

Sachiko 12-16-2007 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryuuzaki (Post 326530)

ahaha this sounds like econz... opportunity cost my friends
XD
loving it!