JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Mayvis (Offline)
New to JF

Japanese anime and traditional culture - 03-29-2011, 03:14 AM

Hey guys, I'm now doing a project about Japanese traditional culture in Japanese anime. I want to collect your opinions toward Japanese anime and tradtional culture through a survey. Here is a questionnaire and if you're interested, please help me answer those questions. Thank you very much!

1.How old are you?
Under 10
10-20
21-30
31-40
Beyond 40
2.Are you interested in Japanese traditional culture? Do you intentionally manage to learn more about it? If yes, where does your interest or motivation of learning Japanese traditional culture come from?
3.Where does your knowledge about Japanese traditional culture come from?
4.When speaking of Japanese traditional culture, what do you first come up with? (Whatever you think of, can be either material or spiritual) What specific cultural forms will come to your mind?
5.What Japanese traditional values do you think are revealed from those cultural forms?
6.What do you particularly like in Japanese anime? What contents of Japanese anime seem attractive to you?
7.What aspects of Japanese traditional culture have you seen from the Japanese anime you’ve watched? (please also list the name of the anime) Are they attractive to you? Why?
8.What do you learn about Japanese traditional culture from the Japanese anime you’ve watched? How do you make connections to the traditional culture you’ve seen in the anime and your overall understanding of Japanese traditional culture?
9.Are you motivated by Japanese anime to learn more about Japanese traditional culture? What specific aspects of Japanese traditional culture have you desired to learn because of watching Japanese anime? (please also list the name of the anime)

Thank you so much for your patience!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
bluedaydream (Offline)
New to JF

Lightbulb 04-01-2011, 04:34 AM

1.How old are you?

21-30

2.Are you interested in Japanese traditional culture? YES

Do you intentionally manage to learn more about it? YES

If yes, where does your interest or motivation of learning Japanese traditional culture come from? I am not entirely sure. I love Asian cultures, and Japanese happens to be an easier of the languages to learn, plus their current culture is somewhat similar to Western culture. A little easier to move around.

3.Where does your knowledge about Japanese traditional culture come from? I constantly look things up on the internet. Unfortunately that is all I can do at this time. They do not offer any sort of Japanese classes at my college. Next college!

4.When speaking of Japanese traditional culture, what do you first come up with? Well, unfortunately their history with suicide comes first to mind. It is unfortunate that it is better to kill thyself than to fail. But there are many other wonderful things about the culture.(Whatever you think of, can be either material or spiritual)

What specific cultural forms will come to your mind? I just love the formalities. The pride they take in their work and family. LOVE IT!

5.What Japanese traditional values do you think are revealed from those cultural forms? Well, in the States people do not think about how it reflects upon them when they are disrespectful, etc. Japanese are very mindful of how they are in the presence of others. This shows how much they respect themselves and others.

6.What do you particularly like in Japanese anime? I am interested in shounen mostly. It is wonderful because the young person, usually a young man, goes through his struggles to become a better person and a better hero/whatever his special abilities are and the theme of the anime.

What contents of Japanese anime seem attractive to you? I love the personal struggles and triumphs. Overcoming failures, adversities and ridicule.

7.What aspects of Japanese traditional culture have you seen from the Japanese anime you’ve watched? I watch Bleach, and in Soul Society, heaven, they are all in kimono and zouri. They bow and use polite speech to their captains. They all kneel properly and sleep on tatami floors. There are levels of social status and nobility. (please also list the name of the anime)

Are they attractive to you? Some of it.

Why? I like the extra proper way of life.

8.What do you learn about Japanese traditional culture from the Japanese anime you’ve watched? How do you make connections to the traditional culture you’ve seen in the anime and your overall understanding of Japanese traditional culture? I've mentioned a lot of the things I've seen in Bleach. The rest of the anime aren't set in past Japanese culture. I feel Bleach is pretty accurate based on the things I've seen in it and looked up.

9.Are you motivated by Japanese anime to learn more about Japanese traditional culture? Absolutely!

What specific aspects of Japanese traditional culture have you desired to learn because of watching Japanese anime? EVERYTHING! Even in the other anime: Fullmetal Alchemist, D.Gray-Man, InitialD, Chrome Shelled Regios, I see the propriety of the Japanese person. The wonderful way of being polite and bowing. Apologizing for mistakes, thanking from the heart. (please also list the name of the anime)

I hope this was helpful.

謙虚に,

白日夢
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Mayvis (Offline)
New to JF

04-04-2011, 02:36 AM

Thank you so much!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
bluedaydream (Offline)