JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
StormBreeze (Offline)
New to JF

The Japanese view on english subtitles: question - 05-22-2009, 09:58 AM

Yesterday, I was watching an anime on a streaming site. Later, I couldn't find an episode subbed so I watched the raw version on that same site. I saw someone complaining about not understanding what they were saying, so I thought: let's squeeze out the tiny knowledge of Japanese I have and use a Japanese - English translation site. After getting frustrated about some words I couldn't translate (probably because I wrote it wrong and have no grammar knowledge), I began downloading the same episode with subs and filled in the things I couldn't translate.

I posted it (with the announcement that I've copied the half from the subs) and a day later I got this reaction from the uploader of the raw video who is Japanese:
'I show it for the whole world, but the animation becomes reading only in Japanese. The subtitles do not have the plan to keep in future.'
She or he also deleted my comments with the translations in it.

So... the user is implying that only people who know the Japanese language can watch it? What the... Or is there a western culture vs. asian culture conflict going on?

Last edited by StormBreeze : 05-22-2009 at 10:08 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
angelkit14 (Offline)
New to JF

05-24-2009, 04:56 AM

Maybe it was just a rude person. I mean I appreciate it when people upload the shows with the subtitles so that I know what is going on. I think that the person was an idiot. He/she should have been happy that you helped others to understand what was being said in the show. I don't know anything about a conflict between cultures though.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
StormBreeze (Offline)
New to JF

05-24-2009, 10:34 AM

I first thought it was very rude too, but wasn't sure if there was something else going on.
Me being me, I guess I've just overreacted, lol. Anyway, thanks a lot.

I now really am ashamed of my question.. I guess I was just baffled by that reaction of 'can only watch without translations' that just makes no sense. Oh well xD