JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Anime & Manga (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/)
-   -   American Animation vs. Japanese Anime Films (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/26297-american-animation-vs-japanese-anime-films.html)

MasaruShin 08-20-2009 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seiki (Post 763043)
Can you really count robot chicken as animation? Family guy is wowlolol simpsons ftw.

Animation simply means bringing 2-D and 3-D objects to life to provide the illusion of movement, so in a sense; yes I will classify that as animation. I personally stopped watching The Simpsons years ago.

Barone1551 08-20-2009 03:58 AM

I am not trying to put words in you mouth, but are you trying to imply that family guy has depth?

seiki 08-20-2009 04:03 AM

hey look at this funny thing i just didlol and now back to our totally unrelated story.

randomdiscussionblog 08-20-2009 04:04 AM

Apple and orange...

IcewindDude 08-20-2009 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seiki (Post 763039)
I recently saw ponyo(Gake no ue no ponyo). It was pretty good but seemed a rip of the little mermaid. But I don't know which came first. I did enjoy the animation though.

The Little Mermaid story is a lot older than either movie. It's an old Danish story from around 1830.
The story is similar to Disney's version. A mermaid falls in love with a prince she saved from a storm. And the only way for a mermaid to get a soul (to go to heaven) is to marry a human. She gets a potion from the sea witch to get legs, but loses her voice (and her ability to sing enchanting songs to win over a human). If she fails, then she dies and turns into sea foam. And so the prince falls in love with a princess and not the mermaid. As she accepts her death, her sisters get a magic knife from the sea witch that the little mermaid could use to kill the prince and become a mermaid again. But as she was about to, she couldn't. She throws herself into the sea and turns into sea foam. But, instead, she turns into an air spirit due to her pure longing to have a soul. With good deeds, she can earn a soul and go to heaven.

Not quite the happy story Disney gave, is it? lol I haven't seen Ponyo yet, so I can't compare to that. But if it is similar, it's from the same roots.

Ryzorian 08-22-2009 12:02 AM

Disney gives happy endings to anything, that's kinda thier thing. Reguardless of how the actual story went.

YukisUke 08-22-2009 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryzorian (Post 763587)
Disney gives happy endings to anything, that's kinda thier thing. Reguardless of how the actual story went.

That's very true. For example, The Fox and the Hound.

Ryzorian 08-23-2009 12:59 AM

They would give happy endings to anime that had sad endings. Disneyfied could be like this horror movie.

bedhead1212 08-27-2009 08:15 PM

it depends

It kinda depends on the type of movie you wanna see
because if you wanna see somthing with alot of anthropomorphism or happily ever after stories disney is deffinitly the way you go
but if you wanna see alot of blood and gore with some romance on the side japanese is way better.
personally I think japan is way better at animating
hope it helps:onismile:

seiki 08-27-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YukisUke (Post 763659)
That's very true. For example, The Fox and the Hound.

What?! its not a happy ending!!!!? :(